“Absolutely the best”

Ranked #3 of 23 Spean Bridge B&B and Inns
Buckinghamshire
“Absolutely the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

We had a 2 week trip travelling round Scotland and were lucky enough to stay here for 2 nights. This was absolutely the best place we stayed. Nothing has been forgotten and there are so many little extra touches that you wouldn't necessarily expect. Lovely comfy beds with crisp bed linen, great hot showers with fluffy towels, fresh flowers everywhere in our room and fantastic breakfasts (the only place we were offered haggis with breakfast and whisky with our porridge). The decor was great and even the crockery, cutlery and glass ware were so tasteful. We also had dinner in Russell's Restaurant which was exquisite and more than deserves it's 2 AA Rosettes. There's much more I could write but would just thoroughly recommend you go and find out for yourself.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
dunfermline
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

My father and I chose Smiddy House from the AA guide and were so fortunate to find such a hidden gem. From the moment we arrived we felt at home. Robert was an excellent host....welcoming, friendly and very knowledgeable about the area. The rooms were very clean and comfortable with lovely bedding, towels and amenities. Breakfasts were great and Russells Restaurant was supberb.....the best in the area by far. We look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
newcastle upon tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights in Sept after reading good reviews on trip advisor, we weren't disappointed the place is simply lovely.
A must for dinner is Russell's restaurant (don't even think of eating anywhere else in Spean Bridge)
The quality of the food and the presentation was excellent and we found the mark up on the wines very reasonable.
The rooms (a bit on the small side) were compensated by some nice little touches.
If you're looking to stay in this area you can't go wrong with the Smiddy House.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2009

I happened upon Smiddy’s while driving in a torrential downpour from Inverness. Robert and Glen welcomed me warmly and immediately showed me to a wonderful cozy room so I could dry out. I dined that night in the restaurant, enjoying their three course dinner. The food was fabulous! Knowing I was traveling alone, Glen ensured I was well taken care of, inviting me to spend as much time in the lounge as I wanted, enjoying my after dinner drink, before retiring for the evening. After a great night’s sleep, on a great bed with soft sheets, I was treated to a gourmet full Scottish breakfast which kept me fueled well into my travels that day.

I will be staying at Smiddy’s again and recommend you do too!!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2009

We stayed 2 nights. Unfortunately one of the nights was a Monday and the restaurant was closed - if we could have we would have eaten at the Smiddy on both nights. Needless to say the food was excellant (especially as we'd walked up Ben Nevis that day) - good choices and friendly staff. Our room (number 3 I think) was nicely decorated etc - but it was a touch on the small side. That said we'd return.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Argyll
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2009

We had a wonderful 2 nights at the Smiddy,
We were welcomed on arrival with a warm and friendly greeting, we spent a relaxing time visiting the local area and we would highly recommend the Smiddy for any occasion

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

A lovely place to stay, conveniently located for many destinations in northern Scotland. Robert was an excellent host and introduced us to the delights of Hendrick's gin before an excellent meal in Russell's restaurant. The food here really was top notch and, as a vegetarian, I actually had a choice of imaginative dishes. Dessert in particular was sublime, the best cranachan I've ever tasted. The service was attentive but not too formal. Breakfast was of a similarly high standard, dressed with pea shoots that had been delivered at 6am! The entire house is decorated tastefully to a very high standard and our room, although on the small side, was well-appointed and contained every amenity we needed. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Roybridge
Spean Lodge
Spean Lodge
#1 of 23 in Spean Bridge

Been to Smiddy House? Share your experiences!