“Extremely pleasant stay”

Achnabobane Farmhouse
Ranked #20 of 23 Spean Bridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We had an extremely pleasant stay at Achnabobane Farmhouse. Our hosts Neil and Elizabeth went out of their way to make us feel welcome and that our every need was catered to. After a long day climbing mountains, it was a treat to come back to the comfort of the farmhouse which has real character, and is within easy reach of Ben Nevis with amazing views.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank rizelle02

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Pros :

Value for money
beautiful view from the conservatory

Cons :

No en-suite
average sized rooms
really bad water pressure in the shower

Overall nothing spectacular, but if you are looking for a quick stay then this is not bad.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S P
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We arrived around 10pm after driving up from manchester. We had not booked and we rang up on an off chance they would have a room. We arrived with a warm welcome and a quick introduction by the host, Neil. The room was warm and cosy, and our dog was right at home. Tea and coffee was available, although milk instead of packet cream would of been prefered. There was a tv with freeview and clean, fresh towels. Fantastic night sleep. We woke up to beautiful surroundings and a view of ben nevis, in a warm cosy cottage. The smell of breakfast was devine. We ate it whilst looking out at ben nevis and all the other beautiful scenery, and hearing local knowledge and interesting facts from Neil. They made everything feel relaxing and homely. We stayed one night then headed off to inverness, a day later on they way back we stayed again! It was just as good if not better. I hope we find time to go back again soon. I have to say that their dog, Morse is so friendly and charming, little star. Our whole stay was a delight!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Sophie221191
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights a couple of weeks back. Lovely couple who own it, great views and great home-cooked food. Am looking forward to my next visit!! :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank amy y
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Another excellent stay at this very welcoming establishment, set in beautiful countryside. Accomodation spacious, food superb and Liz and Neil are great hosts, with a wealth of local knowledge. Have stayed at Achnabobane both with my family and on my own and would thoroughly recommend them for both. Look forward to staying with you again in January 2012.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ALY007
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Stopped over on way up to John O Groats, and had a greatly relaxing time. Very pleasant hosts met us upon a arrival and the accomodation was comfortable, clean, and inviting. The hosts were very helpful in offering local information for our travels the next day, we wouldn't have known what tourist traps to avoid nor found Harry Potter's viaduct otherwise!! Lol. Breakfast choice was plentiful and well cooked, with delicious local black pudding. Very pleased to have discovered this little gem of a lodge, and will definately return on our next Scottish adventure!!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Dobbin_9
Reviewed October 23, 2011

The web site for Achnabobane Farmhouse was very impressive and factual; however I realised not to expect miracles at the £30 B&B rate quoted for a single occupancy room. The room I had was cramped but clean with the furnishings being out-dated.

I arrived soaking wet after completing 115 miles on the way up to John O’Groats. After an abrupt reception, I was advised that I did not need to lock up my cycle as there was no crime in the area – however I felt happier to do so. I respected the ‘no shoes’ policy as my shoes were wet, so no issues.

During my short time with Neil I was surprised at his constant referrals to previous guests, some quite derogatory. He was also very aggressive towards negative comments that had been posted on Trip Advisor about him and his B&B.

The most disappointing aspect of my stay was the evening meal. I had elected to eat off their ‘al a carte’ menu and ordered fishcakes, chips and a side salad bowl for £12. The meal was served in the conservatory which was a little run down and dated, and when it arrived it was well below the ‘al a carte’ standard I would have expected with oven chips, a warm glass of water and only a tiny bowl of tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce for the salad bowl. I ate my meal with my hosts hovering around which made me feel very uncomfortable.

The conservatory also doubled up as the communal TV room, and therefore it was not fair to fellow guests to sit watching TV when they were eating their evening meals, therefore there was no alternative but to return to my room for the rest of the evening.

Breakfast the following morning was good and I set off for the next leg of my challenge.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo