“Should have been good, was not.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1

Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Antrim
Hong Kong, China
“Should have been good, was not.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was my first occasion to stay at this budget hotel which is relatively new. I had just stayed for 4 nights at the holiday inn express in Telford and it was great and I expected the same here. As I was traveling on business I picked this hotel because of the central location in Northern Ireland.

Location - as just mentioned the location is good, 10 minutes from Aldergrove airport and about 20-25 minutes from Belfast city airport. There is also a large shopping centre within walking distance from the hotel and an excellent supermarket, ASDA.

Rooms are well appointed, a good size but no fridge. Internet is provided at a cost. Bed was comfortable but was never made, they duvet was put in play and smoothed out but the bed sheet was left as I had got out of bed, photographs attached.

Free breakfast was provided in the deal which again was not exotic but more than adequate, cereals, yogurt, bacon eggs sausage and potato bread. Do not put the croissants into the toaster, they do not fit, go on fire, and you get berated by the chef. Any other hotel I have stayed in the croissants fit through the toaster. It's a minor issue and made me laugh; I wonder what catering college the chef went to!

Free Internet is provided in the lobby which is fast and generally adequate for all needs.
All in all a good little hotel except that on the first night I had the joy of being entertained by the group of Scottish football team members from a junior team. They arrived at 0230 and were very drunk. They ran through the corridors shouting, had their room doors open playing a boombox at full volume and I think woke up most of the hotel. On being asked to keep the noise down I learned a few new swear words. The staff did get them under control but the noise continued until 0500hrs when they last one collapsed. They next morning I asked for a got a new room. This room was fine except it stank of mould and water pressure in the shower was non-existent. I did not have time to complain as I was busy and keeping the bathroom door closed and the window open helped alleviate the matter.

All was going well until the starship enterprise arrived in my room in the form of a fire alarm at 0230 in the morning. Honestly I thought I was being invaded by Martians, they noise and the lights were incredible, forget LSD, spend a night in one of these rooms and have someone trip the fire alarm, an unforgettable experience!

What irked me was there was no offer of compensation. I was on business and need my sleep, I was going to meetings starting at 0730 and sleep was something I was not getting. They staff did try hard and big guy on night shift was a gentleman as was the little blonde girl, they did their best but obviously had company policy to follow.
I was there for 5 nights.
I have to return in August, sorry but I will be giving this hotel a miss, there is only so much you can take. Neither is there a gym or pool.
This should have been good, it was a disaster. Why do business travellers stay in a hotel, mainly to sleep, this is something the Holiday Inn needs to understand. I will complain directly to the Holiday Inn as will the Italian and American guests. This was not good for Northern Ireland business or tourism.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paddy C
KLavery, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1, responded to this review, June 25, 2013

As a Deputy Manager I very seldom have to deal with bad reviews. I am extremely proud of our team and the hotel, and for a guest to express such negative opinions regarding their stay is very frustrating.I will take on board the comments which I feel are constructive and like all feedback we will use them to improve on the service we provide.

If you wish to discuss any of the issues raised, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly and off line, where we will be happy to discuss your opinions

Diane Morrow
Deputy Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

My room was really in need of a man with a screwdiver to fix the door and the lock. I felt that, generally, the hotel was tired. The service at the desk was OK and the breakfast was above average. But when I tried to choose an evening meal which was gluten-free, I was politely told that it was not possible to create such a meal and therefore I should eat elsewhere. In this day and age, with so many people avoiding gluten and wheat products, this was a real surprise. Also surprising was the absence of BBC3 and BBC4 from the long list of TV stations on offer. I missed an episode of a show I had been following.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
KLavery, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review

we value your feedback especially regarding our menu options. We are reviewing our menu and a gluten free menu will definitely be considered to improve our service.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Dunblane, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Arrived late, and staff couldn't have been more friendly.
Good quiet room, with excellent shower. Best of all was breakfast, where after freshly made porridge, there was a full range of cooked breakfast items. Not the usual sausage egg and beans that one normally gets. Hope i am not tempting fate, when i ask why other Holiday Inn Expresses can't do the same.
Will definitely stay again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ibfmacdonald
KLavery, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review

I was delighted to read that your stay was a positive one. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and quality. I am glad that you received a warm welcome and you found our breakfast so good, I will be sure to pass on your comments to both our night team and breakfast chefs, who will be delighted

We very much look forward to welcoming you back with us in the near future
Front Office Manager
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed with you on 25/05/13 and would like to give a member of staff called Stephen some recognition for the way he looked after us during our stay. To say he looked after us is an understatement. This staff member was the WOW factor of your hotel!!! He went over and beyond to make our stay what it was. Can you please thank him kindly for me. See you again :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time write such a positive review

I was pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, Stephen was delighted to get your feedback

We hope to welcome you back to stay with us in the near future

Front Office Manager
Province of Leinster, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here again and the standards improve. The food has improved significantly here and seems to have gone from microwave special to freshly cooked - a great improvement. I had scampi which was clearly freshly cooked and I couldn't finish it all. My wife had steak which was excellent.
The staff were great. We were booked in by Joe, who couldn't make the process simpler or more friendly. In the bar/restaurant we were catered for by John Paul and Stacey and that was quite fun. John Paul is an asset to the hotel with his wit and humor - but, just one warning: don"t ask him for an Irish Coffee!! Well done all round.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KLavery, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am pleased to read that your stay with us was a positive one. We strive to provide excellent quality and customer service, And its reviews like yours that help us to know we are on the right track. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to our chefs, Joe, Stacie and John Paul who will be delighted.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back with us soon

Coleraine, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I Returned from Portugal on a late flight a couple of weeks ago, called in after midnight and still managed to get a good room at the standard room rate. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. The bar stayed open quite late which was great and the Breakfast the next morning was very good, with a great choice of the traditional offerings to make "a full Irish" . All in all we both consider that it was good value for money and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CrawfordSim
KLavery, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for such a positive review of the Holiday Inn Express Antrim. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found it to be excellent value. We pride ourselves on providing excellent quality and customer service. I will certainly pass on your comments to our staff who will be delighted. We have a lot of guests who stop here while travelling to and from the airport as we our only 10 minutes from Belfast international airport. We have a park and fly deal which includes B+B, parking and taxis transfers which is great, this might be one to look out up when you’re next planning a trip away.

Thank you once again for your comments and I hope to welcome you back with us soon

Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

friendly and helpful staff
hotel was very clean and tidy
very good value for the price
we enjoyed our stay and would go back to this hotel
If you forget any toiletries, all you have to do is ring reception and they will be delivered to your room, free of charge.

Room Tip: Our room was lovely and bright and cosy