This was my first occasion to stay at this budget hotel which is relatively new. I had just stayed for 4 nights at the holiday inn express in Telford and it was great and I expected the same here. As I was traveling on business I picked this hotel because of the central location in Northern Ireland.
Location - as just mentioned the location is good, 10 minutes from Aldergrove airport and about 20-25 minutes from Belfast city airport. There is also a large shopping centre within walking distance from the hotel and an excellent supermarket, ASDA.
Rooms are well appointed, a good size but no fridge. Internet is provided at a cost. Bed was comfortable but was never made, they duvet was put in play and smoothed out but the bed sheet was left as I had got out of bed, photographs attached.
Free breakfast was provided in the deal which again was not exotic but more than adequate, cereals, yogurt, bacon eggs sausage and potato bread. Do not put the croissants into the toaster, they do not fit, go on fire, and you get berated by the chef. Any other hotel I have stayed in the croissants fit through the toaster. It's a minor issue and made me laugh; I wonder what catering college the chef went to!
Free Internet is provided in the lobby which is fast and generally adequate for all needs.
All in all a good little hotel except that on the first night I had the joy of being entertained by the group of Scottish football team members from a junior team. They arrived at 0230 and were very drunk. They ran through the corridors shouting, had their room doors open playing a boombox at full volume and I think woke up most of the hotel. On being asked to keep the noise down I learned a few new swear words. The staff did get them under control but the noise continued until 0500hrs when they last one collapsed. They next morning I asked for a got a new room. This room was fine except it stank of mould and water pressure in the shower was non-existent. I did not have time to complain as I was busy and keeping the bathroom door closed and the window open helped alleviate the matter.
All was going well until the starship enterprise arrived in my room in the form of a fire alarm at 0230 in the morning. Honestly I thought I was being invaded by Martians, they noise and the lights were incredible, forget LSD, spend a night in one of these rooms and have someone trip the fire alarm, an unforgettable experience!
What irked me was there was no offer of compensation. I was on business and need my sleep, I was going to meetings starting at 0730 and sleep was something I was not getting. They staff did try hard and big guy on night shift was a gentleman as was the little blonde girl, they did their best but obviously had company policy to follow.
I was there for 5 nights.
I have to return in August, sorry but I will be giving this hotel a miss, there is only so much you can take. Neither is there a gym or pool.
This should have been good, it was a disaster. Why do business travellers stay in a hotel, mainly to sleep, this is something the Holiday Inn needs to understand. I will complain directly to the Holiday Inn as will the Italian and American guests. This was not good for Northern Ireland business or tourism.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Antrim offers FREE cooked Irish and continental breakfast, FREE WIFI throughout the hotel including the bedrooms and FREE car parking Itis located at Junction One Retail Outlet which is Irelands largest International Shopping Outlet. Ideally located within a two minutes drive of the M2 motorway, Express by Holiday Inn Antrim is only 20 miles and a 15 minute drive from Belfast. And short drives from the towns of Ballymena and Coleraine. Londonderry is also not far from the location. Belfast International Airport is less than 5 minutes away. This budget hotel in Antrim has 90 stylish but simply decorated bedrooms, all with Sky TV, tea/coffee making facilities, power showers, broadband internet and desk top workspace. The hotel prides itself on its vibrant friendly approach. Every guest is made to feel at home as soon as they walk through the door. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Booking.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Antrim m2, Jct.1 Hotel Antrim
- Holiday Inn Antrim
- Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1 County Antrim