“Excellant pub/restaurant in rural surroundings”

Dog & Partridge Country Inn & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Flouch B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 11, 2014

On a busy route across the moors this Inn offers good size accomodation, friendly staff, a nice bar (with real ale) and good locally sourced food.There is plenty of parking. Panoramic views across the moorland and a surprising amount of wildlife.

Room Tip: We had a side (standard) room on the ground floor. No problem with traffic noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Geoff H

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Great food so much better than the 'carvery' type Sunday lunches available at other pubs.

Choice was small, 3 mains plus a couple more on the specials and it's great the see places offering fewer choices of great food than a whole pile of mediocre food.

If you like a huge mound of carvery regardless of quality then it's probably not for you, but if you like good food, well presented with good service at a good price then this id the place.

We had read reviews saying the service was slow so we were expecting a wait (it does say on the website can be a wait due to dishes being freshly cooked) so we were shocked at how quickly we were served. I had the lamb off the specials menu which was wonderful and not a plate weighed down with of 300 types of veg and potatoes! Just a sensible and well cooked roast, mash and 2 veg.

We were a party of 6 and booked only an hour before we arrived and will be back very soon, great.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2014

To be fair the right rating for this place would have been probably 3 and half balls or good rather than very good. As there is no such option I choose to be generous, average would not give full justice to this place. We've been there for a Saturday night dinner and were placed in the back room which is a bit anonymous to be honest, but we were promptly warned about this on the phone when we booked the table (as all tables in the bar area were occupied), so good grades for honesty. The atmosphere in the bar is very nice with nice furnishings and a very welcoming live fire. For the many hikers dropping in is really the kind of place to chill down a little.
Being 5 of us we could taste several dishes that the house was offering. We tried a goat cheese starter that my girlfriend liked very much, salmon pies (well made, very nice) and chicken livers with bread and butter, nice though not exceptional and I personally would have been a bit more generous with the bread. The main courses were steak and ale pie and roasted lamb shank, both ok but definitely not special. Desserts were probably the best part of the meal, at least the apple and cranberry crumble that I shared with my girlfriend was really nice. Unlike for some of the other reviewers I have to say that our experience with the staff was very positive: very friendly, kind and professional; fairly good selection of real ales and very nice and quiet location. In conclusion we had a quite pleasant and a bit pricey dinner in a nice enough place that has anyway room for improvement. The potential is not completely expressed yet; however I would try it again if I had a chance.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Unemigrato
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I stayed here with a colleague. Rooms were ok, nothing special. On a miserable night the warmth, thanks to under floor heating, was welcome, but this also made it a bit too hot to sleep.
Dinner in the bar, next to the fire, was good. Breakfast also respectable, nothing special. The next morning, we sat in the bar and worked for a while, and the staff were incredibly kind and helpful. We asked for coffee and tea and they didnt charge us. The only thing was, a couple of times the service struck a bum note. I'd paid in advance on booking the 2 rooms but on arrival, they insisted on taking all of my colleague's details before they'd take us to our rooms, even though he was almost too tired to stand up. The next morning I asked to settle the bill for extras a couple of times, the very pleasant and kind staff said they couldnt help, yet when the manager appeared - this was still well before 10am - and demanded I pay, it felt a bit aggressive. A previous reviewer commented on a bizarre experience, and this didnt surprise me. This Inn's heart is in the right place, it's a warm and welcoming place to stay, but I'd feel a weeny bit cautious about staying again. By the way, my colleague loved the place, and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the car park.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I've not stayed,but I have stopped for a meal on several occasions.

The food is excellent, if pricey, and there are usually good local ingredients used. Today I had the pheasant, which was splendid.

A good pub atmosphere, views of the hills, a real fire on a cold day - a splendid way to break the journey

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Robert H
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Welcome in the pub was warm, great food, good beer. As my Husband wanted to check e-mails before day trips out he had to go into the Bar for reception.We were given lovely coffee and mince pies without asking, nice touch! Rather remote setting on busy road. Hosts were helpful and hospitable. We were too far north to explore the parts of the Peak district we were hoping to but that was our fault in not checking location. We would stay again. Rooms could really do with an upgrade.

Room Tip: our Room was not like the one on the web site! disappointing!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The welcome was very warm as was our room. We were offered an additional heater and accepted but never had to switch it on. Our room was spacious and comfortable with a large bed, plenty of storage, hospitality tray and an en-suite with shower over bath and plenty of hot water. The large wall mounted flat screen TV had excellent reception. We ate in the bar on the first night and in the restaurant on the second and on both occasions the food was very good indeed. Breakfast was also very good with hot dishes freshly prepared. Throughout our stay the staff were really helpful,were well presented in their Dog and Partridge 'uniforms' and the service we received was excellent. Staff were continually checking whether we needed anything in an unobtrusive way. Quite a skill! We kept remarking on how good the staff were. The inn's location just off an 'A' road may not be to everyone's liking but we did not suffer from any road noise. There is plenty of car parking. The inn is well placed for visits to Elsecar Heritage Centre, Holmfirth (location for Last of the Summer Wine) and Cannon Hall House and gardens.

Room Tip: Request a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Walkhome

Been to Dog & Partridge Country Inn & Hotel? Share your experiences!