Dog & Partridge Country Inn & Hotel
$75
Old Bridge Inn(Holmfirth)
Wortley Hall(Wortley)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspartridgesteak and ale piethe pubroaring open firespecials boardunderfloor heatingyorkshire breakfastbar areathree coursesbusy roadovernight stopsat navevening mealbooked a tablepeak districtroom was spotlesscar park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I am writing this review following one of the most bizarre customer service experiences. Following a cancellation I was given wrong advice about payment, refunds and the cancellation period. After I had made several calls to confirm these details I was subjected to a hostile discussion with the female manager. In addition to the conflicting advice and obstructive manner it eventually became clear we had been confused with another customer. After they had opportunity to confirm their mistake we had further discussions but did not receive acceptance of this nor an apology. When challenged on their behaviour they retracted promises of a refund or vouchers. With the final call we stated we no longer wished for a refund but only an apology for the appalling treatment. This was not given and only seemed to escalate their behaviour. We were shocked by their use of language and accusations and we are not used to this type of behaviour. I have certainly not experienced anything like it before.

This review Is not intended to be a retaliation but an attempt to prevent others having the same upsetting experience. If your stay is good all is well, if you have problems the response you may get is likely to be unpleasant. Please be aware.

3  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed overnight having cycled along the Trans Pennine Trail from Liverpool. Its only a couple of kilometers off the trail and a wonderful place for an overnight stop after the demanding assent of Woodhead Pass. The welcome was warm and friendly and very helpful with bicycle storage. Bar atmosphere was wonderful and evening meal very good. Bedroom was very comfortable but breakfast was the highlight - freshly prepared and extremely tasty Yorkshire fry. Andrea is obviously passionate about providing a personal service at a level I have rarely experienced - she even posted the cycling glove I mislaid to my home address! I will certainly return again and would recommend an overnight stop here if you are in the area.

1  Thank AnnetteScott
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We booked a Saturday night booze and snooze specifically so we could have a couple of pints pre dinner, some good food, followed by a night cap in the bar. The staff were friendly and the bar relaxing and enjoyable in the afternoon. Dinner was good but not amazing. The bar filled with OAP's from 8.30 onwards for their weekend organ/sing song to such an extent that there was not a spare seat left to sit and continue any post dinner conversation. We now understand this happens every Saturday and Sunday and whilst appreciate everyone is welcome to enjoy themselves, this was not the sort of evening we had anticipated. Left slightly disappointed despite a hearty breakfast.

1  Thank timbermonkey
Reviewed August 14, 2013

You'll find this on the Woodhead Pass, (A628), but don't rely on the satnav - our phone app sat nav would not have taken us to it but fortunately, I had previous knowledge of the A628.

The staff were very welcoming and helpful, and the accommodation was excellent. Large room with high ceilings, exposed beams and sumptuous bed to sink in to.

Excellent bathroom too with good shower - always important in my book.

The evening meal in the restaurant was only so so I'm afraid. My wife had the beef, which had been on the lunchtime menu, was a bit 'tired' and her potatoes were bland. My chips weren't very hot, but the fish was excellent. It always niggles me too when the menus are incorrect and sure enough at this place we had the wrong 'compliments' (complements) and I guess a local spelling of broccoli......

However, breakfast was top notch, clearly freshly cooked, and like the previous evening, the staff were very attentive and helpful

1  Thank Hertsbob
Reviewed June 24, 2013

we stopped of for dinner on Saturday, have been past hundreds of times and never thought to call in. Will definitely be going back!!!!!.There were three of us and for three main meals and a round of drinks it was less than forty pound, which I thought was excellent. The food is home made and very fresh. The atmosphere is very welcoming the only thing I can complain about is: I was really looking forward to the dessert of peach crumble, but after eating the homemade meat and potato pie I really could not find room for the dessert.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family