“Great food, lovely quirky little place but pricey drinks”
Review of Parkfield 21

Parkfield 21
Ranked #9 of 18 Restaurants in Coleshill
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant Parkfield 21 is a small restaurant offering a quiet intimate atmosphere with personal service which is welcoming and friendly. The dishes on our menu (which changes approximately every six weeks) use fresh produce presented in the spirit of the best of classical cuisine but with modern international influence. We pride ourselves in the quality of our food, where you will find a varied selection of vegetables and potatoes that are included in the price of the main course. Also we do not add any service charge to the final bill. Our wine list is small and of a good quality, with some unique from the Langue d'Oc region of France and available only in our restaurant. David Hunter is the chef proprietor of Restaurant Parkfield 21 and the service of the food and wine is looked after personally by his wife Susan.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Went to Parkfield 21 to celebrate my husband's birthday recently. It's the ground floor of a converted house just behind the High Street in Coleshill; you have pre-dinner drinks and an amuse bouche in the 'front parlour' before being shown to your table in the next room. It's really tiny and quiet, only a few tables but this added to the atmosphere so no complaints. Maybe a bit of quiet background music might have been nice? The decor is quite dated - lots of 80's knick knacks, floral borders etc - but super clean and tidy and very welcoming.

My food was lovely - a free mini pea soup before our starters arrived, great selection of breads, goats cheese starter (about £7), herb/mustard crusted rack of lamb (about £25) and ice cream brulee with black cherries on the side. The vegetables are included in the price (it always annoys me in other places when you have to pay extra) and beautifully done in their own right, not just an afterthought.

My husband and his mate had a scallop and prawn starter that came in its own little Le Creuset pot and was delicious. My friend had buckwheat pancake with leeks and bacon which she also said was very tasty. The others all had steak for their mains and actually weren't over-impressed, but they thought this was possibly down to the meat itself rather than the way it had been cooked - hopefully just a one-off glitch.

My only grumble is the price of the drinks; it's not possible to buy wine by the glass (not much good if you're driving!) and the cheapest bottle is £25. Maybe you get what you pay for and maybe I'm not enough of a wine buff but I'm sure I've had perfectly decent bottles elsewhere for £15. Also my small pre-dinner G&T was nearly £6 and my friend's Pimms was almost £7. All in all, the drinks really ramped up the final bill which was a shame.

The chef is a lovely chap and came out to chat with us at the beginning and end of the meal, keen to talk about the food etc. Eating at Parkfield 21 is very different to the usual - very initimate, a bit like going to a friends for dinner who just happens to be an amazing cook! I would go back again, but only when I'm feeling flush (unless they fancy introducing some more reasonable bottles onto the wine list!)

Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

We had our first experience of fine dining on Fri 27th July, warm welcome on arrival in pleasant surroundings we dined in newly decorated well furnished restaurant well selected and thought out menu good selection of drinks available to acompany our meal excellent service fantastic food well prepared and presented, nice to meet the chef who left us well fed and satisfied will visit again without a doubt, highly recommend parkfield 21 to anyone who likes great food and service in a pleasant and welcoming restaurant...

1  Thank anthony m
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Food was good but very little atmosphere - only ourselves and two other customers in restaurant. Not really value for money.

Reviewed October 13, 2011

A converted house located in Coleshill - parking outside along the road

Exceptional well priced wine list -- and Sue is very knowledgeable if you need any assistance (the bar drinks are a bit pricey though)

Believe to be only open Fri and Sat I think as ( from memory) Chef David is a head lecturer/ bod at the college of food and tourism so cant open other nights too !

Each Menu changes every 6 weeks or so

There's always a choice of 5 or so starters , main courses and desserts

Starters £7 and up Mains £18 and up puddings as per starters , around the £7 mark

The mains come with exceptionally tasty and plentiful side vegetables at no extra cost - which makes it very reasonable compared to similar priced establishments where sides are £2-£3 each extra

Its obviously not a place you go to every month -- Its more a special occasion Restaurant

We have eaten here on mine and my Husbands Birthdays as well as the odd Anniversary over the last few years --and can honestly say hand on heart Parkfield 21 serves some of the best food I have ever had anywhere -both here in the UK and on our travels.

4  Thank StacynFran