“Great value for money”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: TOPES restaurant is a modern British restaurant centrally located in Rochester High Street in Kent and has been awarded two AA rosettes. Chris Small, head chef and co-owner, has created several different menus, including a special set price lunch (L16 for 2 courses and coffee) and mid-week evening menu (3 courses for L25). In addition, there is an a la carte menu for Friday and Sunday evenings and traditional roasts on Sunday. All ingredients are bought in fresh on a daily basis from local suppliers and the menus reflect seasonal produce. The restaurant is set in a 15th, 16th and 17th Century building and many of the original features remain. However, the restaurant has a modern feel to it to reflect the modern style of dishes on offer.
“Great value for money”
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Have eaten here quite a few times and is fast becoming one of my favourite restaurants. Superb food and the week day special menu is excellent value for money.

Rochester, United Kingdom
“Saturday 13th October - Topes”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have eaten at Topes on a number of occasions, I have taken friends and family there for meals and have even cooked a lunch service there as part of a cook and dine deal that they used to do. I eat out a lot in London and all over the place and can safely say that Topes is one of th best restaurants I have ever eaten in. I visted with my fiancee on Saturday evening and had a faultess meal, the mussels with cider and fennel were execeptional (prob the best mussel dish I;ve ever eaten) and my wood pigeon main was first class. No other local restaurant offers such great choice of seasonal ingrediants including local game, all dishes are really well presetned and the service is attentive without being intrusive. I will always reccomend Topes to anyone looking for a great meal in Rochester, a town with loads of restaurnats but nowhere that comes close to Topes - keep up the good work!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Ben W
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A comfortable evening of being well fed and looked after.”
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

The food is always beautifully served and very tasty. There are little signatures we love like the use of black pudding in the recipes. It is always difficult to chose what to have because everything is good.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Superb food & atmosphere!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We were in Rochester on holiday for 4 days and we discovered Topes on the High Street via Trip Advisor. We consequentially ate here most of the time! The food is sublime, the prices very reasonable and the service / ambience amazing! It is one of those places that have a real "wow" factor both in terms of the quality and choice of food and the whole atmosphere of the place Quite simply a magical, foodie heaven!! Please go, I promise you won't be disappointed. Wish we didn't live in North Wales as it's a 5 hour drive away, or we would be regulars!! Fantastic place, congratulations to all involved for the creation of a truly SUPEFB restaurant!

Bexley, United Kingdom
“I don't believe how much this place is changing, and not for the good”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I took my wife out for dinner last night (Sat 12 Oct). We decided on Topes as its local and we have eaten here before and always enjoyed the quality of the food. However this visit to Topes was a little different, with both ordered Duck for starters which was nice, but small. My wife had Pidgeon & Partidge, she stated that it was nice but there was no wow factor to the dish. I had the Pork Loin which again was ok, but nothing exceptional. We also ordered a side of chunky chips, which were £3.95 per side. When they arrived in a tiny dish there were no more then 8 chips, nearly 50p a chip, come on? For dessert we had the Pear Tartlett which was over cooked, and served with the worlds smallest scoop of Icecream ever. It would of been quite nice if it was cooked properly. I found the waiting staff very fussy, kept leaning across our table to recover empty glasses the whole time we were there. It's a shame because it used to be a great place to eat, but now things seem to be going down hill. Perhaps they are buying cheaper quality ingredients? Perhaps they have changed their chef? Perhaps the have got complacent? If they are not careful they will ruin the good reputation they have built up in the past. If someone said to me lets eat out in a good restaurant, I would of suggested Topes in a blink of an eye, after last nights experience, I would look else where...

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank JSALondon
JulieSmall82, Owner at TOPES Restaurant, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Hi there, Sorry you didn't enjoy your meal on Friday (assume it was Friday and not Saturday as this was when we had our pigeon and partridge dish on). With game season now upon us, I don't think there are many restaurants in the area that are serving local wood pigeon and partridge breast, partridge leg, local girolle mushrooms, Brussels tops and salsify as a dish - the flavours were wonderful when we taste-tested the dish earlier that day, and the feedback on the evening was very good. The pork belly dish with homemade sausage, pork croquette, black pudding beignet is becoming one of our signature dishes due to it's popularity - I'm not sure what you were expecting. All sides are £3.75 and our twice-cooked Maris Pipers are legendary amongst many and the lovely rhubarb ice cream made from rhubarb from the chef's garden was made that day and the amount served balanced the pear and almond filo tartlette beautifully - you have to appreciate we are not buying-in ice cream or compensating quality with quantity. I see that you enjoy writing reviews on trip advisor and have even felt the need to review the 'restaurant' in Morrisons in Strood. Don't give up the day job...