“Excellent Fish & Chip Restaurant”
Review of Micawbers Fish Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Micawbers Fish Bar & Restaurant
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Chatham, United Kingdom
“Excellent Fish & Chip Restaurant”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We went restaurant and had a really pleasant experience , staff are really polite and attentive . The restaurant is very highly decorated with chandeliers ect
The Cod was amazing so soft !!
We will defiantly visit again nice relaxed atmosphere

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank norris311

Gravesend, United Kingdom
“This place has potential, amazing fish, average chips...”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Being a fish and chip lover I was very excited to hear a new Fish and Chip Restaurant was opening in Rochester right by the river. I went here last week so here's my review!

I had cod and chips the the cod was absolutely gorgeous, tasted fresh, it was thick and pure white with a very light batter. Despite the batter being very thin it was very tasty, and I usually prefer more batter. Very high standard! The slight letdown was the chips.. now if you're a chip lover like me you know there's a big difference between pub chips and fish&chip shop chips... the chips where very much pub/event stand chips and kinda average. In a chippy I prefer CHIPPY chips as in slightly oilier (but not too greasy). I definitely wouldn't go here for a bag of chips to take away because of this. But as a meal aside from the 'chippy' thing it's very nice. Healthier than the usual choice because of the less oily that usual chips and thin batter and you also get a bit of salad on the side which was a nice touch (lettuce, tomato and onion) and a little pot of tartar sauce. We are lucky in North Kent because we have the award winning Reliance in Gravesend and it takes some beating the fish is on par if not better at Macawbers but the chips are not even half as good as Reliance.

The interior is great, there's a massive old clock on the wall and chandeliers. However there was chart music playing fairly loudly, don't know if it was because it was a Saturday night but it did feel odd eating underneath a chandelier to the sound of David Guetta ! Really nice staff and good service.

Overall a lovely new restaurant, it has potential, I'd definitely go back, sort your chips out though!

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Alice P
Rochester
“New kid on the block”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Service was poor. Tables were missing important condiments. Food I was hoping would be really good considering it's a new restaurant but sadly it's just OK. I would say if you have time go to Whitstable.

Visited December 2012