“Wonderful place”

and up
Private Kent Castles and White Cliffs of Dover from London
Ranked #1 of 38 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Owner description: Dating from 604 AD, this is the second-oldest cathedral in England.
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is a stunning Cathedral with welcoming staff, who offer you an audio style tour if needed. Dependent of when you visit, you may get to hear the wonderful choir. It is very beautiful inside with fabulous stained glass windows etc. Plus a great Cathedral shop and lovely cafe and gardens. It's well worth a visit

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Living nearby I have spent many hours sitting quietly both inside and outside of Rochester Cathedral. The building is stunning as are the gardens and the architecture is beautifully awe-inspiring. There is so much to learn about the cathedral that one-trip just isn't enough.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Unassuming Cathedral which Charles Dickens would have been sure to have visited. Unlike Westminster Abbey and other religious buildings in the UK it might be easy to bypass Rochester as relatively insignificant. Its Norman heritage and antiquity make it a wonderful place to visit and the volunteers were very helpful and friendly. Wonderful Organ case by Gilbert Scott and don't miss the gardens at the north side of the cathedral. Very close to Rochester Castle which will make a trip doubly interesting. No admission fee but the Cathedral would welcome a donation of £3.00 per person. Worth it.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Absolutely stunning, if not welcoming.

Although our visit was not what it could have been, the opportunity to hear the magnificent choir and pipe organ (from behind) was amazing. Of course, the building and grounds are beautiful, inspiring, and just generally stunning.

Being an Anglican Organist and Choir Director, I chose Rochester as a day trip specifically for the cathedral.

We arrived as a sung service was beginning, and unfortunately decided to use the door on the back side of the quire (we were coming from the back of the castle) rather than walking around the building to the nave entrance, especially since time was getting close. The volunteer inside the door asked if we were there to visit. We said yes. (We were. Right?) I was looking forward to the service ... And then she told us we couldn't go into the nave. We listened from the back for a while, heard a bit from the priest - anniversary of his ordination, I believe.

It was only after leaving for London that it dawned on me ... She didn't understand we were there for the service. Maybe, "Would you like to stay for the service?" would be more welcoming, and clearer for visitors.

I know the visitors must be a handful, but Winchester Cathedral manages to handle this situation so well with massive crowds. On the flip side, the small St Mary Abbott's in Kensington was very good with visitors, even empty. A staff member gave me a quiet, friendly hello as she passed me alone in the nave. I returned. Twice.

1  Thank Phill G
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stunning architecture, serene surroundings, very peaceful and tranquil place, great place to clear your mind, and relax and contemplate.