“Great Potential - Not lived Upto” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Great Potential - Not lived Upto”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Over the last 10 years I have eaten here on numerous occasions.

I have found it to provide an affordable meal in a reasonable environment.

Regrettably in the last few years there has been no investment in the restaurant or hotel, it appears to have got stuck in the 1970's. For one of Rochesters few hotels this is disappointing as it is in a great location.

On a positive note I have always found the staff in the restaurant and bar to be polite and very helpful.

My last trip (family meal), was to be fair not one to be remembered. The side plate and cutlery on the table was not clean (plate actually had left over butter on it, somebody else's?). The whole place gives an impression that it is unhygienic as the cleaning appears to be haphazard at best.

The food was luke warm and not at all appetising.

I wasn't going to bother posting on here as we are unlikely to go back but to be fair I comment on all other places I visit so felt it right to do so. Sad to say I cant recommend this place anymore.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
“Try somewhere else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Terribly rude and arrogant waiter - we did not leave him a tip.

Do not order the Sirloin steak it is tough as old boots. They did exchange it for a Rump steak which was juicy but took some time to arrive by which time my girlfriend had eaten her meal and had then watch me eat. Starter was unnaturally hot as in microwave hot which made the puff pastry soggy.

Such a shame this venue has such potential and a very bad waiter has spoilt anything that the chef could create. Lastly, the kitchen is very close to the dining hall and you could hear the chefs noisy banging plates, chopping vegetables and shouting at the waiter. Someone had a nasty cold and coughing profusely (hopefully not over our order).

1 Thank jpavalanche
Rainham, United Kingdom
“Disapointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were a party mof 4 booked for Sunday lunch. The restaurant was very tired and needed updating. We did not order a starter but all ordered a Sunday Roast. Three of us pork which was no at at all tasty the whole meal was very dried up and covered in a thick gravy not the most eye catching meal I have had. One of our party had Chicken which was just eatable but still covered in thick gravy.
We did not order a sweet.
On many occasions we had passed this venue and thought we would try the food. Unfortunately the quality of the food would have to improve a great deal before we would book again.

This restaurant is in a lovely setting in the High Street and could be a real impact with improvements.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Not the greatest of eateries but not the worst”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I went here for a dinner with my partner recently (we had met here a few years ago) I arranged a booking in advance and was able to go and view the tables etc before actually brining her to choose a suitable one. When we arrived we were seated in a waiting area with a small bar, the man was ver friendly but after seving our drinks disappeared for about 15 minutes. When he finally arrived back he was again very friendly and took us to be seated in the restaurant. The food was average to good. The prices were actually very reasonable. The interior had a very lived-in feel..this isn't necessarily a bad thing but what really let this place down was the incredibly slow service. There seemed to be jsut one waiter serving all the tables and there was a considerable gap between courses.

Visited April 2012
England
“Lunch at the hotel.... don't bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

I have just taken my family for lunch at the hotel, and honestly wished I had gone somewhere else. As a resident of Rochester for many years, I have never been into this supposed "restaurant" and strangely enough I will never return again. The waiter is surly and really appears not to care less, after waiting half an hour for coffee, I asked where the coffee is, he said "I'm dealing with it". We ordered food off the menu, there were only two people in the restaurant at this time, the food took a good 40 minutes to arrive, which for 2 all day breakfasts and two kids chicken nugget lunches seemed quite unbelievable. The food was dry and was delivered to the table by the cook, as the "waiter" was still dealing obviously with the coffee. Do Not Go Here ..... trust me, it is not an enjoyable experience.