“family feeling.”

The Rochester Coffee Co.
Ranked #6 of 16 Coffee & Tea in Rochester
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Rochester Coffee Co is a continental boutique coffee shop in the heart of the historic Rochester High Street. Described by the Medway Messenger as "Probably Rochester’s best coffee house" - We offer a slice of London without the expensive price tag...We use 100% Fairtrade & Rainforest Alliance wholebean coffee, unlike many other coffee houses we ensure our coffee is of the finest quality. We believe that going out for a coffee should be an enjoyable and relaxing experience, we have soft sofa's throughout the coffee shop for you to sink into. The Rochester Coffee Co. philosophy is to offer the best quality product, ethically sourced through sustainable means to our customers and to offer amazing customer service with a smile. Our boutique coffee shops are different to anything else currently available on the High Street, we display local artists works on our walls and play upbeat, yet relaxing background music. Our Team is trained to the highest standards to offer you an experience unrivalled by others. We aim to ensure your visit is relaxing and lifts stress away. Our extensive menu is not sort from impressive with a huge selection of beverages to our Signature Afternoon & Champagne Teas, there is always something to enjoy at The Rochester Coffee Co.
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I'm not a coffee drinker so I can't give you a good opinion of how nice their beans are however I can say the general atmosphere of this place is lovely. I used to visit weekly with a group of local foreign language assistants for a midweek catch up and drink. The staff here are incredibly friendly and make you feel as if the place is your own front room. The hot chocolate is great!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We have recently moved to Rochester and this place has become a firm favourite. The staff are great, the atmosphere is super (there is no better place to sit than at one of their outside tables, on the delightful High Street, directly opposite the Cathedral), they have free WiFi, they don't mind customers hanging around for long periods chatting and emailing, there are free newspapers, the food is good and it's not part of a global chain and they open until 8pm or 9pm every night.. The one thing that lets it down is the coffee - which given it's a coffee shop is a bit of a shame. I admit that I am a 'demanding customer' where coffee is concerned, but a few times the water has been too hot and burnt the beans - and they really should offer different sizes of cup. Apart from that - I love it!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We went specially to Rochester for a birthday cream tea and unfortunately found ourselves in this expensive establishment. (hot chocolate cost £3.25)
The waiter was polite but forgot to bring out our cream tea. After 20 minutes we had to remind them to serve it ...scones were stale and the tea was cold by this time. The lemonade served was flat.
When my daughter went inside to ask 'do you have any cutlery?' as none was bought to our table with the food;the waitress thought it hilarious to reply with a monosyllabic 'yes' so my daughter had to ask again.
We took the finally arrived stale scones back inside for replacement and were asked again to wait outside at our table...waited for additional 10 minutes when we decided enough was enough and requested our money back. (£3.85 for the cream tea.) Although the manageress did apologise it was insincere and too little too late! We went and bought a delicious ice cream from the very nice man in the shop next door. Will never return.

3  Thank Evey M
Reviewed August 2, 2012

With family and granchildren after visiting the castle. It looked promising although expensive. We had hot choc (1), teas(3) and a slice of coffee and walnut cake (1) and for the littluns milkshakes(2) and cookies(2). Total price in excess of £18
We ate at the tables on the street, opposite the gardens at the entrance to the Cathedral because the inside temperature was stifling.
The quality of everything was pretty good except the cookies were on the dry side and the cake tasted very little of coffee (but the icing did) I was horrified to find a stain at the bottom of my tea cup - a ring around the outside of the bottom and a smalle ring in the centre - clearly the cup had not beed clean when it had been brought to me.
My complaint brought disbelief from the person serving suggesting that it had occurred after I had finished my tea - impossible since there was still tea in it.
Eventually I received an apology but it seemed insincere There was no suggestion of replacment or refund.
Possibly they thought I was a tourist anf that it was unimportant to placate me; perhaps so but I'm not a tourist and firmly feel that the nature of my complaint was serious.
It would appear that his café is not part of the "scores on the doors" food hygiene scheme - I wonder why? However I did enquire about this and the person I spoke to did not seem to know what I was talking about; upon hearing my explanation he suggested that Rochester Council perhaps won't let them display the rating because the café was on an historic street! I don't think so!

3  Thank Chill62
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I visit Rochester Coffee quite often when I'm in the area and have never been disappointed with the service or the food and drink. As soon as I walk in I feel welcome and at ease and after browsing their extensive menu often choose my favourite... a lovely cup of chai mmm can almost taste it as I type. The new premises are ideal for laptop users and I can even charge my laptop while enjoying some yummy short bread. The stairs can be difficult to negotiate with my stick and pram but if someone's free I'll always get a helping hand, if not there's some seats outside too. All in all their tag line says it all ' Probably the Best Coffee House in Rochester' can't wait for my next visit.