“in my view, you get what you expect.”
Review of Kings Head Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rochester
Kings Head Hotel
Ranked #14 of 17 Rochester B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I had a two night stay here. I was very wary due to all the negative comments, but the reason I chose this hotel was that it is a historical building at the end of historical rochester high street. Charles Dickens even visited, so I was not expecting it to be in tip top condition.

That said, I will say that the owners really should invest a little in basic repairs. The hotel has character,, that smell .... thats not rot, thats AGE... true the beds are not so comfortable and should perhaps be changed, but seriously, I enjoyed staying in the hotel, to be able to sleep in rooms that all manner of people in history have slept in before.

I would return if the owners put a bit of money into the place, its not always that east, but I am sure the rochester banks would have interest in a loan to maintain this important building.

Thanks :-) see you next month.

Room Tip: just ask to look at a couple of rooms and choose the one you fancy.. thats what I did.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cathaycaptain

Reviewed November 3, 2011

It’s always been my dream to stop on Rochester's high street a place where dickens once roamed and wrote about in his books. Finally it all came true for my 40th. I couldn’t have asked for a better week end, the hotel itself was beyond my expectations and Tracy and her staff were brilliant. Very accommodating and couldn’t do enough for us. The town was not only alive in the day but also at night, the hotels entertainment was great and everyone was so friendly. I would recommend the Kings Head Hotel to any one who has a love of Rochester, Dickens or my Castle. Our room was very clean and the view from the window was of my castle who could ask for anything more. The Television was in full working order, not that I see as important, as there is too much to do around to be watching television. I will definitely stop at the hotel again who knows next time to renew my wedding vows I think. Miss you loads Tracy and ill see you again soon for the Christmas Dickens.
As for the stair case well this was excellent really captured Dickens characters and all they stood for, the hard work def paid of as it was out of this world. Thank you again for such a brilliant time, and the best memory that will stay with me forever.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joanne D
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We book a local restaurant and stayed in the Kings Head - from the time of arrival the so calle dexecutive room was grim, hairs on bathroom floor, so soap of any description, tap leaking on sink and we had to call someone to turn the water on as we had none. Stains on bed sheets looked like blood spots, TV did not work and they eventually had to change it and all this for £80. DONT stay they seem to cater for contract workmen.

Room Tip: Executive room £80 is worth about £20
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tomcathandy
Reviewed December 9, 2010

My friend and I booked to stay at this hotel last weekend for the Dickens christmas market. From the outside it's a quaint looking pub/hotel and even inside it was very 'in character' with mural paintings up the walls of Dickens characters and timber frames etc. All the bedrooms were named after Dickens characters but as soon as you walk in the door, the bedroom was decorated like a 70s council bedsit. I say decorated but i don't think the place had seen a lick of paint or a wet sponge since the 70s! The wallpaper was a hideous fusion of pink and purple, the carpet was filthy and stained, the curtains at the windows were hanging off the rail and were greyed with age and so filthy you needed gloves to pull them. Windows were dirty, dubious stains on the chairs. We were told the room wasn't in use the night before but when we arrived one bed had clearly been slept in as the sheets were rumpled and there were marks on the pillows, there was a dirty cup on the table and empty sweet packets. The man who showed us to our room took the cup and said he would send another one up - really the least of our problems! We asked if we could change rooms but were told they were full so had no choice but to stay there, although at £55-65 a room (not including breakfast) we felt ripped off. We had prebooked breakfast on booking at an extra £6.95 per person and was told that we had to be downstairs at 8am the next morning. The following morning we'd set our alarm so as not to miss breakfast (although could have done with more sleep as it had been quite noisy since 5am with comings and goings downstairs) and as we went down the stairs we passed a member of staff (who we later found out was the manager) who just said "no food today" and carried on walking. We weren't quite sure what to make of this so continued down to the bar area only to find no tables laid out and the cleaner washing the floor. When we asked about where to sit she then told us there was no food as they'd run out of everything the day before! It was unbelievable! Having prebooked we expected to get the breakfast we'd booked for but the guy who showed us to our room was standing to one side listening and didn't say a word. There was absolutely no apology, no suggestion as to where we could go, the only helpful person was the cleaner who gave us the name of a cafe in the town where we eventually got a lovely breakfast at a much cheaper price. All in all the lack of customer service was appalling and quite clearly they were only interested in running the pub and taking money for the rooms but once you were in there they weren't interested in making your stay comfortable. We felt completely ripped off by having to pay the bill and would definitely not go back there again. We have since reported them to the tourist information office to hopefully avoid anyone else having their weekend ruined by this establishment.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Animalandfamily
Reviewed December 6, 2010

My friend and I had the unfortunate experience of staying at this hotel on Saturday 4th December - we were so disappointed with the twin room we were shown too - not only was it grubby - but we also had to point out to the person who showed us to the room that the floor was dirty - the curtains were not only filthy but also literally hanging off the window - there was a dirty cup on one of the bedside cabinets and an empty crisp bag on the floor - to cap it all, one of the twin beds has clearly been slept in and was unmade, had hair on the pillow & top sheet - the loo did not work and was dirty..... if there had been any other option of a room somewhere else we would have left immediately - but the alternative would have been to sleep on the street (actually that may have been the better plan).... whilst the staff there 'seemed' friendly enough, the so called manager was not !!!! To be honest this was the worst hotel experience ever. We shall also be putting in a 'formal' complaint to the Rochester Tourist Board and the Kent Tourist Board and also the local MP - sad but all true :o(

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank londonellis
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Was so disappointed with this hotel - loved the website and the staff came across as really friendly on the phone.

The room was horrible - normally you'd get a hand towel and bath towel per person but we had just 2 bath towels between us. No hand wash in the bathroom. Hairs on the bathroom floor. Plenty of tea and coffee in the room but only 1 cup which was covered in dried sugar and scum at the bottom of the cup - no thanks! A huge blood stain on the right hand side of the mattress. The room was next to a generator so no sleep.

Asked on arrival about the breakfast for the weekend and was told on Sundays that the chef didnt come in until 9am so would have to wait - not customer service.

Really disappointed - cannot recommend.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple