See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I was booked in to this hotel for a three night stay, the proprietor was nice enough and he gave me the key to my room.

It’s an old building with plenty of character and although my room had a view of the river it was awful. My shower had hair on the walls, mould round the tray and clearly hadn’t been cleaned for some time. There were cobwebs on the walls and interestingly at some point it had had two locks, a Chub type and a Yale type which had been removed/broken off and nobody had bothered to conduct a repair.

Pretending I was camping I spent a fretful night in my tracksuit waking up with a back ache so rose early to check the breakfast room; the state of the sink in one corner, the fridge in another and the cutlery in a cardboard box frightened me away. The landlord lives elsewhere and there are no staff on site to make a complaint so leaving without a shower I sought breakfast elsewhere. It was a pleasant walk past the castle to the high street and there was plenty of choice. I bravely spent a second night; my back killing me got me up and somewhat dishevelled not having had a shower or a shave for two days elected not to spend a third and went home.

I normally have no reason to doubt trip advisor reviews but to give this establishment excellent, very good or even average is a falsehood. During the period I was in the hotel (which I use loosely) I did not see another human and I would only recommend it if you are looking for a Munster experience. Consider this; the management photo of the bar is not of this hotel as there isn’t one.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank JulianVFR
Reviewed February 21, 2014

While flat hunting in 2009 I stayed here for 7 very happy weeks at 25.00 a night (great value) The room was bright & airy if a little last century (nothing wrong with that), the breakfast more than adequate for the price of the room (+ a superb river view) & self catering kitchen spotless. The "handy man" was a hoot too, which really added to the experience! The main bonus is the place is far too far out for the rowdy bunch so you are not going to be disturbed here.....90% I encountered were respectful tourists, the other 10% friendly contractors (who left their muddy boots out the back entrance.....nice change!) The shower on my floor wasn't big enough for me - but few anywhere (inc. my own gaffe) are so I was directed to the FIRST RATE basement bathroom after a day. When the flat hunting stalled around a month, the owner offered me a good size room for 600.00 p/m............& the place was such a home from home by then I seriously considered it!!!

Want value, comfort, friendly atmosphere & no yobbo's? Willing to "put up with" a little 'quirk'?

Look no further!

Room tip: 2nd floor, first left facing (really quiet) road did me fine for 49 nights!
Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed one night on business to Rochester. Very friendly and helpful owner.
Room was clean with view over river. Very reasonably priced compared to other hotels/b&b on Rochester High Street and only a 10 minute walk away.

Owner was very helpful when I left my rain coat behind and looked after it for me until a work colleague was able to collect for me.

Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at de Riverview Lodge for 4 nights, but wished we didn't book so many nights in advance. The building is old, this is not bad but when no maintenance is done in the last 10 years...
We brought our own yoghurt and cereals because there was nothing more than cheap, tasteless bread, no yoghurt. There was some old, not fresh cereal but we didn't dare to eat that.
The manager was nowhere around, only in the beginning to collect his money. After that moment,... there was no one besides other guests who complained about the accommodation during breakfast.
The rooms were not fresh and we had the feeling the sheets were more than 30 years old. Also the bathroom wasn't cleaned once during our 4 night stay.
Normally we don't really take our time to commend on B&B's where we've stayed, but this was so bad that we had to share it with other travelers.

Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank G d
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Me and my friend had a lovely holiday in Rochester. Had lovely view of the River and the Countryside. The owner was kind so were the staff who done our washing for us. We enjoyed the stay rooms were lovely and en suite was outstanding. Every thing wasnt to munch trouble.

Room tip: Rooms at back are nice withy outstanding view of the River and the Castle and the Countryside.
Date of stay: July 2013