“One of the best small Hotels you could stay in”
Review of Royal Albion Hotel

Royal Albion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Broadstairs
Brighton, United Kingdom
“One of the best small Hotels you could stay in”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

One of the best small hotels you could stay in.The rooms are great the people are lovely and the Bar and Restaurant are very enjoyable.
For a short break in the south why go any where else.We have stayed here for two years running and have just booked a third

Room Tip: If you want a balcony with sea view try room 12
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Essex
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Just returned from a two night break with some friends ... Read reviews before we went so was expecting hotel to be good, and it was. I certainly would agree with all the positive comments listed. Thanks to all the staff who were very friendly and couldnt have been more helpful - especially Helen and Trish who sorted us two lovely sea view rooms on the second floor - view was wonderful even in winter! Would certainly stay here again - Thanks again for making our stay very enjoyable !!!

Room Tip: We had rooms 21 and 22 which were connecting. Great rooms and great sea views.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank suziben
London
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I stayed at the Albion on a business trip in mid-December & can honestly say that it's one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in .... not necessarily the best but definitely one of the nicest. Yes it's got it's quirks but it's a truly lovely hotel with stunning views over the bay. My room was very spacious with a huge bed + 2 armchairs + desk + loads of room to walk around. To top it off, the breakfast was faultless & the staff throughout couldn't have been more accomodating. It's certainly has my recommendation.
PS phone & laptop connection is lousy / non-existent in the Broadstairs area so make any urgent calls before you arrive!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view on the first floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank ElksLondon
girlonmoon
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I booked this hotel beacue of its high rating on here, for the night of our wedding and the day after so we would have some time to chill out before coming home.
When I booked the hotel I did ask if they would do and special deal for us seen as we were honeymooners for example a bottle of champagne in our room but they didn't seem to bothered to help us at all.
It was about 11pm when we arrived and the doors where looked but the night porter had been told we where coming. We rang the bell several times but no one came, after a little while a customer from the pub exited so we were able to get in and we went into the pub to get assistance.
The night porter was ok, clearly not his preferred job, but he showed us to our room and did offer to help with our bags.
The room however was lovely, view was really good other than the good old English weather spoiling it a bit. There was a bit of noise from downstairs/outside but it wasn't that bad.
Bed was really comfy, bathroom was lovely, nice and clean.
The first morning we were really tired and couldn't work out where we were meant to be going for breakfast and missed it by a minute! Gutted.
So we had a coffee in the cafe bit.
At night we tried to find some where for dinner but it seemed deserted and restaurants that were open were empty and that is a bit offputting so we ate at the hotel pub.
The meal was very nice.
Breakfast the next morning was very good, although the hotel did seem to miss the personal touch of service you would expect from such a highly rated hotel.

Room Tip: definitely get a sea view. And If you find stairs difficult you should enquire about that before bo...
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel as I have spent many a holiday in broadstairs as a child. We stayed in room 26 amazing seaviews very clean and a lovely size. Food was great service and staff were perfect and after 33 years of marriage we had a amazing weekend and have booked to go back next year, well done to all the staff and the manager what a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Room 26 has lovely seaviews and is a nice size
1 Thank John Q
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed here while he was on business nearby. There really isn't much in the area so when we found this we were very thankful! However, on our first night we were in room 33, which is normally a family room. Although the decor is lovely the bed was terrible, and when you are paying for a 'bed' it really doesn't go down well. It was very soft and all the springs on one side had completely gone (I am guessing from children jumping on it) and were sticking into my husbands back all night. We didn't realise until we got into bed at 11pm and were both so very tired and knowing that the hotel was fully booked didn't see much point in telling reception. In the morning however I did tell reception who told they would tell housekeeping. In the end housekeeping just moved the mattress upside down!

We then moved to room 15 (as this was advertised as a king room - and apparently the best in the hotel!) It was a lovely room to look at and wonderful views across the sea, very romantic. However my problem with this room was that as a king room you are expecting a king bed, and not two single beds pushed together. Therefore when you are in bed and you have a cuddle you are falling between the two beds!!!! Another problem with the room was the very musty damp smell in the bathroom, it was quite awful and I even had the bathroom window open full for a few hours but to no avail. On a lighter note the breakfasts are lovely, and the staff lovely also.

When checking out I received the bill I was surprised to see a charge for our morning papers. When checking in we were asked what papers we would like each morning, with no mention on cost. As a seasoned traveller and when you are paying way above average for a room (200 pounds for room 15) you normally receive a paper included in your room charge. I raised this issue and the lady went to get the general manager for me. How do I put this nicely, he was a very rude young man who thought my complaints were not valid. As myself and my husband would be in the area every week for a few days for the next few months I thought he might want some repeat business, he obviously doesn't need it! Now what really made me laugh was that they wanted to charge me 1.10 for The Times which is only a pound to buy, apparently this is company policy! In the end he took the 2.20 off the bill reluctantly and shouted as I left the hotel "sorry you didn't like us"!

Either way, we will not be staying here again and would thoroughly recommend finding yourself a small B&B in the area who are personal and care about their customers.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank MrandMrsNewton
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2011

stayed in broadstairs a few times and always said it would be nice to treat ourselves one day and stay at the royal albion. lovely place to stay, prime location, good food and very clean.
.Great views over viking bay even though it was at the end of november, we pushed the boat out and opted for a superior room with a sea view (room 12) which also had doors opening on to a shared terrace with table and chairs.Very nice comfy bed in a very clean room with all the usual tea making facilities. breakfast is very good and plentiful

Room Tip: opt for a room with a sea view, worth the extra money
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadstairs
The Yarrow Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,047 reviews
Copperfields Guest House
Copperfields Guest House
#1 of 24 in Broadstairs

Been to Royal Albion Hotel? Share your experiences!