“nice lady and good sandwiches and tea”

The Old Curiosity Shop
Ranked #2 of 12 Coffee & Tea in Broadstairs
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Description: This is a tea room
Lymington, United Kingdom
“nice lady and good sandwiches and tea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

On a wet afternoon I needed a cuppa and the offer of sausage or bacon sandwiches was too good to resist. Such a nice lady behind the counter and a really good sausage sandwich and a belting mug of tea. Great cafe. Call in if you are there

• Visited September 2012

“Lovely friendly atmosphere and great value !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were made to feel very welcome and the staff are very chatty and welcoming to our needs, the food is probably the cheapest in broadstairs and it doesn't lack quality , it's great if your open to dogs to as the owner doesn't mind allowing dogs on a lead! Which is a rarity these days, the homemade cake is delicious too!!

1 Thank Tash24788
“I have never been so insulted.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

When we arrived there was a small que. The Person at the counter explained that there might be a wait as it was so busy. I gave our order and we sat and waited. Over the course of about 15 mins the person came out 3 times with food doing circuits of the cafe asking various people if what she was carrying was what they had ordered because she could not remember who ordered what. We could see right into the kitchen, it was total chaos in very slow motion. We eventually got our order which was wrong only after the person who took our order came over and asked us again what we had ordered. I complained to my partner that I would never recommend this place, someone seated nearby, presumably a regular or friend told the owner what I had said privately and the next thing I know the owner os behind the counter spouting phrases at the top of her voice like " you always get one" and " I bet if he was in a restaurant he would wait" and "it takes so long because it's fresh." . Well no, the reason it took so long is because it was so disorganised. I really think this venue needs to understand customer service, to start loudly spouting about a customer that dared to complain in private is disgusting. To top it the owners comment as we left was "good riddance". I wouldn't mind if I had been rude or abusive, just made a comment in private to my companion that I soul not recommend the place.

4 Thank pkj200w
London,
“Basic, but nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

Nice little place ust for a cup of tea and a sandwich.

Visited September 2011
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Four dogs in the cafe”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

When I go into a cafe I don't expect to, or want to, share my space with four dogs, one of which constantly yapped. As two of the dogs appeared to belong to the owner this is probably a regular thing.

The coffee itself was weak and the hot chocolate lacking in much taste.

When I'm next in Broadstairs I'll go somewhere else for a hot drink.

• Visited January 2012