“Like being on holiday!!!”
Review of The Greek

The Greek
Ranked #12 of 141 Restaurants in Broadstairs
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Thanet's Favourite Greek Restaurant, a family run business that treats you as if you are part of their family. Homemade traditional food cooked to perfection in the heart of Broadstairs, Kent.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Went here on a Saturday night with a group of friends. Really didnt know what to expect and was told meal £20 exclusive of drinks. The food kept coming and whilst not top notch is wasnt bad either. What makes this place is the atmosphere and sheer entertainment. Lots of greek dancing and plate smashing. I felt more like I was in Greece than when I am nowadays in Greece! It was a fantastic evening, staff very friendly and reasonably priced. I wouldnt recommend it for a romantic evening for 2 but for a night out with friends its unbeatable.

2  Thank Magalluf_annie

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a fabulous Greek Taverna with a fixed (mega) meze menu at a very reasonable price. Nice atmosphere and helpful attentive staff despite that fact that it gets so busy. The food was very good and just kept coming!

3  Thank HelenMcW
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday, tootle off to Broadstairs on the off chance. Wander around feeling somewhat jaded and grumpy (normal, really!) unable to find the right place. then companion ssays 'Why not try here?' It's an unpretentious tavern, very real and authentic, very Greek, and I can't find a reason to say no, so in we go.
It's not the finest cuisine, it's just a damned good taverna. Sunday lunch is a mind-boggling £7.95 all in, a delicious array of meze from excellent humous and greek salad to chicken and pork and halloumi and spiced meat balls and so on and so on. everything fresh and well flavoured, everything redolent of the sun and beaches and fun. What an escape from a freezing Thanet and another traditional Sunday roast. There's an old but important lesson to be learnt here. Don't feel the need to follow the road the road well travelled, step onto the lesser used byways and discover little gems that can sparkle up your day. We didn't chat a great deal whilst we were eating because we both sank into happy reveries of travelling round the islands having a thoroughly good time. Would I go again? Too right. This time we has a car in attendance, but next time it'll be the Grand Meze (still under £15) and a couple of bottles of retsina. Give it a go.

1  Thank crackney
Reviewed March 25, 2013

What a lovely surprise - Greek food in Broadstairs - do not hesitate to enjoy the excellent food and atmosphere.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have eaten here a few times now, and I will go again as generally this a good, fun place to eat, especially with a large party of people - like say a birthday - I've not been there in a smaller party. They have a set, fixed-price menu and you pay for your drinks as you go along, so it keeps everything nice and simple.They do cater for non-red meat eaters, and to some extent vegetarians, but the latter in particular is limited - which is a shame as, contrary to popular belief, there are a huge number of excellent vegetarian dishes in Greek cuisine.
The place is decorated in a traditional Greek way and, as it's mostly quite packed, it's a friendly, welcoming place with a good buzz - especially on entertainment nights. You may all even get a brandy or similar on the house afterwards too. I've been to their original Margate one in the past, and this is so much nicer a place to be.
Generally the food is reasonable - but I have travelled a lot in Greece and Cyprus, and I have Greek family, and I would say that the dishes here aren't as authentic or tasty as traditional Greek food could be - some of the souvlakki (don't ever call them kebabs in a Greek restaurant!!) can be quite dry. I do think they could offer a bit more variety and make more effort with vegetarian and fish options - it pains me to say it, but when Esmes, the Turkish Meze restaurant a few doors down, was at it's best, they were streets ahead in this respect.
The house wine I had last time I went (think it was Cypriot) wasn't good at all - again a shame as there some excellent Greek and Cypriot wines, so I stuck with the pricier options, or with Mythos beer. Retsina is always tempting but it rarely captures what it's like on holiday!

Having said all that, you will leave very well fed and will probably have a great evening, slowly working your way through the courses, while you drink, chat and move around the table - which is what it's really all about!

1  Thank MichaelD1962