“Ok guesthouse”

Merriland
Ranked #11 of 24 Broadstairs B&B and Inns
“Ok guesthouse”
Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Stays at the guesthouse on the weekend I the Whitstable oyster festival. We booked the family room at the top of the house as it was one of the last rooms in Broadstairs available. The room had sloping ceilings which my 6'2 partner had a bit of difficulty with. The bathroom was really extremely tiny (unpleasantly cupboard like with no natural light). The bed for such a large room was a standard double, which my partners feet hung off. There was a tiny plug in fridge but it wasn't plugged in. (would have been nice to have proper milk in there). the breakfast was ok, although as the last to have it, I heard the ping of the microwave presumably heating up an already cooked breakfast while the eggs were being done. It only took a few minutes after ordering for the breakfast to come out. The beach was an easy 7 min walk away. Overall though, I strongly feel £90 should have bought more and seeing that other guests paid £35 for the same room is quite gutting.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank SassyMarie83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I cannot praise this little home from home highly enough.
I booked a room here as part of a surprise, for my husbands 50th b'day. We were upgraded to one of the apartments, of which there are two, and have decided to book this room again, later in the year, to bring the children and grandchild.

Firstly I don't write long reviews, usually but feel this gem deserves exposure. And secondly none of this is based on the fact we got an upgrade. I would still love this place.

If you book an apartment they still come in and clean once a day. The attention to detail with their service and facilities is what makes this place faultless. Yes you can have their scrumtious breakfast every morning, or if in an apartment you can make your own in their impressive fitted kitchen/diner. Worried about the dog or baby? Dont! Dogs are welcome and they keep spare travel cots, blow up beds, ironing boards...
location, location, location, a moments walk from the sea, pubs, restaurants. I could go on. I know this has been a long review, but to have made it shorter would have been a disservice.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank pratts-bananas
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I visit the Merriland twice a year, Annette is the most warm and welcoming host, nothing is too much trouble. All rooms that I have stayed in are spacious, extremely clean and comfortable. My family and I stayed in the superb apartment last year, two ensuite bedrooms, a fantastic kitchen and large living room with flat screen tv and dvd. We have booked the apartment again for this July (2012) and are looking forward to our stay. For great value, excellent accommodation and a really friendly welcome, the Merriland is the place to stay, I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I stayed for one night on the top floor and was greeted with a glorious view, over the town, of a full moon hanging over the sea.

The room was very nice, a good size and comfortable and clean. The lady who greeted me (Annette?) was very friendly and helpful with directions for finding places to eat and I was only sorry that I didn't have more time to enjoy the place. For £35 a night, this was an absolute bargain and I was able to park outside the front door too.

Breakfast was very good and I WOULD certainly go back however.

Room Tip: I do have one suggestion if you stay for a longer time than I did: I would ask if they have cotton s...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Grobbendonk, Belgium
Reviewed December 2, 2011

This was the second time we visited Annette at Merriland and once again Annette made us really welcome. We had the appartment this time as their were 4 of us. It was wonderful. 2 seperate bedrooms ensuite, A well equipte kitchen. and a large living with tv and dvd. Breakfast was more than enough. At Merriland you arrive the first time as guest's and then as friends. Clean, honest and friendly B&B.

Room Tip: Phone Annette
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Krems an der Donau, Austria
Reviewed November 16, 2011

My husband and I spent our first holiday abroad with our 2-year-old daughter, Ellie, in Merriland! To begin with we were a bit nervous and had our qualms (our daughter was a bit under the weather), but Annette immediately made us feel at ease if not to say at home and was as helpful as could be! We were offered to use the kitchen facilities including the fridge and Ellie was provided with toys! Moreover she was allowed to play with and feed the "host dog", Paddy, in the courtyard, which definitely contributed to make it a memorable stay for her! The entire guest house was impeccable! Our spacious high-standard room was cleaned and tydied up on a daily basis and all the facilities both in our room and the dining hall were geared towards the needs of a toddler: high chairs, travel cot etc., were provided! Annette and her staff were always friendly and helpful and busy to meet everyone's needs! Being just a few walking minutes from both the most popular beaches/ harbour with all its attractions and the shops and restaurants, and still being situated in a comparatively quiet area, Merriland was THE perfect accommodation for our first family holiday! We're hoping to come back next year! :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2011

A B&B we go back to time and time again,ANNETTE the owner is lovely nothing is too much trouble.The rooms and beds are really comfortable and spotlessly clean. the breakfast is good with plenty of choice.In very easy reach of the beach, restaurants and shops and if you do not want to use your car also very near bus stops for Ramsgate, Canterbury etc.The holiday appartment is first class with every modern conveinience. Broadstairs is a lovely chill out place to visit and in my opinion "THE MERRILAND" the place to stay. Hazel

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadstairs
The Yarrow Hotel
#9 of 24 in Broadstairs
Copperfields Guest House
Copperfields Guest House
#1 of 24 in Broadstairs

Been to Merriland? Share your experiences!