“Excellent”

The Tartar Frigate Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Tartar Frigate Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 140 Restaurants in Broadstairs
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2012

absolutely fantastic food, generous portion size. food cooked to perfection, not too long inbetween courses. The staff were very friendly and we were treated like we were old friends. will certainly be visiting and tasting more delights soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Had booked here for sunday lunch three weeks in advance as had heard great reviews and had been previously and really enjoyed the night.
With Lemini steering the ship i didnt want to inform her i found a big hair in my nut roast but also didnt inform my other diners as did not want to put them off their meals either.
Also i had forgotten the garlic mushrooms were like mushrooms in a thick garlicy soup i had enjoyed it first time round but found it a bit sickly for sunday lunch. Also the bread was a bit dry and certainly do not believe it was fresh that morning.
Good points to focus on
1) Great roast potatoes and yorkshires.
2) Lovely light soup to start.
3) Attentive and extremely pleasant staff all round.
4) Left feeling stuffed.
5) Lovely table linens and water provided on table
6) Lovely champagne.

Portions are very large so i would say do not eat before you go as it is a huge lunch!
I guess i should have said something about the bread and the hair i found in my nut roast. Which also wasnt very nice. It is 2012 and a Quorn or Linda Mccartney pie would suffice rather than the nut roast which at times actually looked like meat. We vegetarians dont mind something like this rather than this dated option.

The bill came to over £80 and yes it was four courses but i am a bit disappointed and if somebody from the restaurant wants to contact me they can.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My Husband and I were booked in for Dinner on a Saturday evening...out first night out alone since the birth of our son 2 years ago so we wanted to go somewhere a bit special...and we found it!

From the outside the place does look like lots of other Kent pubs, but once you go up top to the dining room all that changes, crisp white table clothes, glistening silverware and sparking glasses...plus a yellow rose on each table which jsut happened to be the flowers I had at our wedding so as a final touch it was perfect.

The staff were wonderfully attentive, but not over the top, and the restaurant manageress is more than happy to discuss the menu...at one point I was a little concerned the crackling off my pork was going to vanish!

The atmosphere is wonderfully relaxed and the view over Viking Bay is wonderful, especially at night with the lights and the water. The only down was a rather loud man at a neighbouring table, but there wasn't much that could be done about him and it wasn't the restaurants fault!

If you want a wonderful meal in relaxed surroundings I wholeheartedly recommend the Tartar Frigate, I can ' wait to go again and next time, please can I have a window table!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We had been given a good recommendation about this place so we thought we'd give it a try. We were welcomed by the bar staff who directed upstairs to the restaurant. We were greeted once again by the very friendly staff who showed us to the table. After our order was taken, we were given some very nice bread with balsamic vinegar to munch on before out starters arrived. Both of our starters were beautifully presented and very filling. Our mains were also both perfect and such a high standard. Throughout the staff couldn't do enough to make sure everything ok. They even cut the lights so the whole restaurant could sing Happy Birthday to one of the customers, which was a nice touch. I felt a bit guilty for not leaving a tip, but we will be going back and will be recommending this restaurant to others.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Don't be put off by this somewhat scruffy pub in Broadstairs harbour.After climbing the stairs in the bar you find yourself in a nicely decorated dining room with tables overlooking the harbour..
I first visited this restaurant some 25 years ago and it has hardly changed at all.
It is basically a seafood place but the extensive menu caters for all tastes. The winelist is ample, the food is very good,the vegetables overgenerous.If you are very hungry try the seafood platter.We paid £100 for three people for two courses(incuding wine and tip).The service was brisk and efficient(from an Italian waiter who has been there for many years!)