“Nice time away”

and 1 more site!
Hornsea Lakeside Lodges
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and myself stayed here in March for 4 nights, we had a lovely stay and were really impressed with the dovetail lodge that we had. The site itself is nice and quiet and just outside the small town, we found plenty of places to enjoy food in Hornsea and travelled into York and Hull which weren't too far away. The lodges are lovely and are decorated nicely, the lodge was nice and clean and had everything you would need for a self catering break. It was very windy when we stayed and with our bedroom facing towards the sea it was very noisy so unfortunately didn't get such a great sleep the first couple of nights. The lodges are great value for money and would definitely recommend them.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Megannbaxter1987
There are newer reviews for Hornsea Lakeside Lodges

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Went for Easter week and was very impressed with the lodges. By far the nicest ones we have stayed in. Stayed in the Dovetail lodge which has everything you needed. Kitchen was well equiped and very spacious with a washing machine and dish washer. Lovely dining area and living area and bedrooms were very spacious. Would definitely recommend it.
My niggles are: The window in the bedroom upstairs needs replacing as it has not been fitted properly and can be quite draughty. The TV changes channels all by itself every few hours. The fishing lake doesn't really seem geared up for fishing with no pegs, and no bait or tackle shop on site.
Apart from these few things, a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: If you want the sun on the decking all day then stay in either lodge 4 or 5
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michaela G
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed in Hornsea in march 2012 and had a fab time,lodge was spacious with lovely deco,there was only two kingfisher lodges and they were situated away from the other lodges which was fab,I got to admit I did want one of the dovedale lodges because they are twostory but Im glad they wernt available because I loved the one we stayed in,Fab bedroom leading to outside decking with secluded hottub,also a good sized bathroom with a jaccuzzi.We walked a couple of times into town and the beach which was good,we chose this site for the quiet and thats what we got,defo recomend it

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank louiseg16
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Hornsea lodges for 4 nights in march. We booked dovetail lodge number 6 (the only one which allows a dog). I am a travel agent so very fussy myself and wanted something luxurious and cosy for this time of year with a hotm tub & this is just what we got! This was excellent value for money - there was lots of other cheaper lodges elsewhere with hoeseaons but I wanted one of the autograph ones. Lodge was fantastic few little quibbles like limited cutlery, small pans and bowls,Only pasta style ones so we couldn't have cereal. Would recomended taking your own bits & bobs we would of if we'd of known. Plenty of cups and wine glasses though. Location is nice how its set outside the town/village. Not much to see in hornsea shops seemed to be closed most days. Only 2 mins drive to the freeport shopping outlet with random shops but was nice to go very quiet but we brought a few bits. only 4 mins to a big tesco which was handy. We thought we were going to a seaside town but It was nothing what I expected you couldn't go on the beach and wasn't a nice one anyway you get to it by going through a rough housing estate which was odd. Back to the lodge it was a really nice get away. Wouldn't return as we visited Scarborough,Bridlington, Filey and even Whitby - went with my parents though and they said they'd go back with friends as loved the lodge that much!! If I could get the same lodge elsewhere to try somewhere different id book it straight away. Just to let you know the downstairs room bed is more like a double than a king and only has a bath.. Upstairs is open plan with no door, balcony area and the bath and toilet are all in one room. We didnt mind but some people wouldn't like this. We used the hot tub only once because it was so windy and cold outside but it was really warm & running all the time. I would recomend to any of my customera, friends & family, all i would say is take extra bits, bath towels ( we only got 1 for 2 sharing) my parents got 2 though and either take or ask for more cutlery and bits think they need to re stock these!! I will attach some photos too :)

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The positives: A good location and a few well spaced chalets meant you did not feel crowded at all. Staff friendly and helpful, interesting design of chalet with many modern features. Hornsea itself is a nice place to be with good access to Beverley, Bridlington and inland.
The negatives: Our Hot tub was broken when we arrived and not fixed until the next day - it had to be emptied and lifted with a JCB. However we couldn't use it until day 3 as it hadn't had time to heat up so we only got in it twice. Heating was wrongly set so no hot water in the upstairs bath - this was fixed the next day. The upstairs room is weird - fully open plan with an open plan toilet! Its strange to watch your nearest and dearest having a pee.
The quality of finish looks OK at first but on closer inspection is poor. Tiny fridge with no door pockets for milk etc (apparently they break easily), the kitchen units were cheap and the crockery / cutlery was well below that which was necessary (3 mugs, 3 wine glasses, 3 knives, no bread knife, no serving dishes). All were replenished when we asked but should have been there when we arrived.
Biggest moans: Chalets available after 4pm but reception closes at 5pm, so any problems have to wait overnight to be fixed. By then I wanted to go home. It was very cold outside but nevertheless the downstairs bedroom was absolutely freezing overnight despite 2 Duvets.
To be honest we were glad to leave. I cannot imagine we will return. Such a pity as the isea is excellent and spoiled only by lack of attention to detail.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Petertheclaret
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Definetly one to not remember for all the wrong reasons but:

The main reason why we booked this 6 berth log cabin, was for us all to have a relaxing time together in the hot tub.
From the first day/night the hot tub was "NOT" upto temparature, BUT: it does state - in the park brouchure. Your Hot tub might not be upto temperature on the first night?? so why am I paying for a hot tub for 3 nights then? un-able to get into the hot tub on the first night as it was similair to a lukewarm bath! On ringing reception in the morning - some fish shop guy come with some tools. More to our amazement -- This hot tub only has heat control settings on the inside of the tub.
Which means at anytime you wanted to turn it up to 40'c like normal hot tubs have the option. These or this one can only be done by a fish shop guy by taking theside panel off? Not having your own control of the hot tub is beyond me - he said it was for child safety?? i dont know of any under 16's booking a hot tub party soon.
Also to top it off, the hot tub which comes with the 6 berth log cabin is in fact a 5 Adult (size/persons) hot tub. so if you do have 6 people in your cabin. You might aswell make 1 of your friends/family a bar man/woman, or sit inside till room becomes available. (we had too)!
The photos i have included are real photos taken from the log cabin, The one I wanted to show which i cleaned for my self as it was unacceptable. Was the full spiders web - about 100mm in the corner of the shower.. The cleaner must of missed this all month or just relying on "me" the paying customer to clean it myself.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from these great lodges. We stayed in Dovetail and it looked exactly as it did in the pictures beautiful. Really spacious lodges.

Check in was simple and the guy was friendly helpful and popped round to check we were OK with everything.

The site is fairly new so in a few years the plants will come to life. Lakes are nice with plenty of wildlife through thd day and night. Take a torch for the wild rabbits. Open your patio doors and the Ducks will come to see you.

I have got a few niggles but only little gripes and nothing to put anyone off, blinds were a bit dusty, pans were cheap but more than adequate to knock up a good meal. I would have liked WIFI etc but absolutely nothing to put anyone off.

The lakes are fishable but there is no specific info as to what is in there, Carp Tench, Barble and Perch I believe. There are platforms to fish off and I get the impression that it is not a prolific fishing venue.

Freeport shopping is close by and a 10 min walk. I walked in the Hornsea everyday in 15-20 mins and I walked to the seafront.

Whiteheads chippy is well worth a visit great food lovely staff and a steady trade (order your fish as you go in!)

Great place and would go back tomorrow. Great place to relax and escape.

• Stayed: March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hornsea
Best Western The Bell In Driffield
#17 of 93 in East Riding of Yorkshire
Beachside B&B
Beachside B&B
#2 of 8 in Hornsea

Been to Hornsea Lakeside Lodges? Share your experiences!