Review Highlights
Nice Bird Watching & nice Cafe.

A huge inland lake just in from the coast & full of Birdlife from the feral geese right by the... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Keith B
Coventry, United Kingdom
Lovely experience

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
boogstogo
Kendal, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews rowing boat feed the ducks putting green bird watching mini golf boat house gift shop life jackets car park lovely place nice cafe duck food wild birds per adult well worth a visit free parking on site
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Revisit after fifty years, my wife and used to sail on the Mere(I taught my ten year old daughter to handle a boat here) We visited on a beautiful Autumn day and enjoyed a boat trip, we saw plenty of birds, many thanks to the skipper of the boat.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My hubby and I hired a rowing boat, the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a hour around the mere and the weather was nice and sunny, lots of birds to see. We had been a couple of days earlier with our dog and had a little stroll around. We didn’t go in the cafe but I am sure it is worth a visit. Thanks again to the lovely chaps that made our visit even more pleasant.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It's many years since I was last here and that time I got out of the car, to put some rubbish in one of the litter bins. When I turned around, I found the car had been surrounded by geese; all of which found me a tasty target to peck, as I struggled to get back to the car. My trousers were covered in marks and I had a good few bruises the next day; some of which were in places you don't want to get bruised in.

Our visit today has been much better. Having learned a valuable lesson, I stayed in the car when we were parked near the huge gathering of birds. Having taken a few photos, we moved to a quieter place and went for a coffee, before having a seat and enjoying the peace. Still a pretty place. You can hire a boat or have a walk around or just sit and admire the views.

Reviewed September 12, 2019 via mobile

We visited here today & weren't sure what to expect ... we saw some beautiful dragonflies but to be honest that was the only highlight of the day. It's a relaxing enough place if you want to just sit & watch the ducks swim past but there is little else to do here in all honesty. It's 'reported' to be an ideal place for a picnic but although there are a lot of benches there's a distinct lack of picnic tables here!

Reviewed September 11, 2019 via mobile

We had been to the promenade and into the town and wanted somewhere peaceful to relax which this was.

On the first attempt we missed the entrance road as its between the shops and easy to miss. When we did get to it the road leading to the Mere is not very good.

My husband had a snooze and I sat reading and had a little look round. Lots of ducks around which are lovely, thought there might have been some boats on the water but no.

I agree with Peter S about feeding ducks and swans, we read years ago that you shouldn't feed bread to them and yet people were giving their children whole loaves to feed them. I think there should be a notice up asking people not to. Maybe sell bags of duck food in the cafe.

We didn't visit the cafe so cannot comment on that.

Was a nice relaxing visit though. Enjoyed it.