“OK, but overpriced for what you get”
Review of The Oyster Shack

The Oyster Shack
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Bigbury
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Nestled into the Avon Valley, Award Winning restaurant The Oyster Shack – aka “Seafood Paradise” serves an array of mouth-watering catch of the day seafood and shellfish, depending on what’s been landed daily and what’s in season on the land. With eclectic, rustic decor its as cosy in the wintertime as it is virbrant and al fresco in the summer. A must visit year round. In true "shack" nature you can pop in for light nibbles and coffee with friends at lunchtime through to an extravagant Lobster lunch or whole catch of the day - always with incredibly friendly and welcoming service.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“OK, but overpriced for what you get”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I know many people have raved about The Oystershack, and was really looking forward to going there. Location is nothing special, plastics seats and all felt a bit cheap, especially when paying top dollar for the food.

Food was good, but nothing better than have had at other better located and better styled restaurants, Lobster Thermidor which is my absolute favourite food, was all cheese and little sauce, disappointing to be honest.

I do think for the price the food had to be spot on and sadly it wasn't, service was excellent, but overall was left feeling I can get much better surroundings and food for the same or less.

1 Thank JonBol
TheOysterShack, Owner at The Oyster Shack, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your review of The Oyster Shack on your recent visit to us. We always strive to make sure all expectations are exceeded and it is disappointing to hear that we have not lived up to them on this occasion.

In terms of value we do source the very best local seafood therefore some of the pricing on the menu reflects these ingredients. Our dishes range from £13.50 - £23. I apologise the lobster thermidor was not up to scratch on this occasion, this is a very popular dish here and it appears on this occasion your meal was not indicative of our usual high standards, had we have known about the issue we would seek to rectify the situation for you.

In terms of the style of the restaurant, The Oyster Shack started as an oyster farm and was merely a shack back in 1989 where customers would bring their own garden furniture and shuck their own oysters from the farm. We find that as some of our dishes require a lot of ‘participation’ the oil table cloths and plastic chairs best suit this style. We try to stay true to our origins and the style of our restaurant reflects the rustic shack it once was.

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the service, I do hope this has not put you off returning to The Shack we hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards

Chris
(Owner)

Torquay
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great service”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Definitely worth a visit. Food is excellent and the staff very welcoming. Slightly off the beaten track, but worth the effort!

Visited July 2014
Devon, United Kingdom
“Absolute Gem!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Tucked away off a sleepy Devon lane in an idyllic setting. The word “Shack” could imply some form of hut, however the exterior though plain and simple leads into a spacious well laid out and thoughtfully designed beach themed restaurant.

I live locally and this is the 4th visit to the Oyster Shack, each time being as pleasing as the past. The staff are excellent and the food fresh, well cooked, presented and plentiful. You have to really be an all things fish lover to fully appreciate the menu.

I’ve scored the Oyster Shack 4 stars, only because I feel the cost is a little excessive. However if this is the price you have to pay in Devon for this level of quality, then I’m sure this venue will remain my number 1 destination for special occasions.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Wessexwonderer
“Wonderful meal”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

The staff in this restaurant are so helpful. They made us feel so welcome. We visited with two teenage boys who is now a convert to shell fish as a result of the fantastic service and quality of the food.

Tenbury Wells, United Kingdom
“Suoer evening meal”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We went to South Devon purely because we had been told about the Oyster Shack. From the moment we went to book in the morning until the time we ate our evening meal and left the staff were polite, welcoming and knowledgeable, they were there when you wanted them but not standing looking over your shoulder.

My husband had crab soup as a starter, I had whitebait with garlic alioli, I actually couldn't taste the garlic but the fish was very tasty. I had asked the waitresses opinion on what size lobster to order and to be honest I really shouldn't have had a starter but I managed to "force it down" ;) I had lobster thermidor, thought it a bit odd to be charged extra for the topping but I have to say it was one of the tastiest lobsters I have ever had. My husband had a mixed seafood grill which he enjoyed. I know that you pay extra for side dishes but £3.50 ( I think it was) for a portion of bread and then the same for vegetables added to the bill.
I couldn't resist a pud- seafood and pudding being my two favourite things, I had banoffee cheesecake with coconut icecream, the portion of icecream was the size of a mint imperial x3 but actually it was just the right amount. So many places let themselves down on desert but not the Oyster Shack.
My husband had a local beer which he enjoyed- always nice to see businesses supporting the locals and I had a mojito which came served in what could only be described as a jam jar, I managed to suck the alcohol off the ice for ages :0

It is a very difficult place to find, the approach is a very narrow country lane but it is so worth it. Not the cheapest meal you will ever eat, our bill was £105 but we really enjoyed it and will return when visiting the area again, I have already recommended to several friends.