“Half decent chippy”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kostas Fish Bar

Kostas Fish Bar
Ranked #2 of 31 Restaurants in Matlock Bath
Cuisines: Cafe, Seafood, Fast Food, British
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Families with children, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Kostas Fish Bar
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Half decent chippy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here wandering through Matlock bath and in the mood for fish and chips. Service was good, waited about 10 mins for food for 4. Good sized portions and fish very tasty. Chips good too. Reasonably priced. Would go again.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Yozza8

Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“Great place to hang out on a weekend with the rest of the biker's!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Kosta's staff are friendly (a bit on the slow side at times and if you give them a gentle nudge they bring your order with an apology).

The owner and his family are the most friendly people I have come across in a long time for such a small establishment - the food is cheap but far from cheerful - you would pay a lot more for decent food elsewhere in Matlock! As a person with wheat intolerance I have found good quality food I can eat and enjoy and the staff go the extra mile to accommodate your need's.

We tend to visit most weekends for our hot chocolate fix and sit with the many other biker's that arrive here (whatever the weather there will always be at least one out on a weekend).

Tables are outside & inside but if you wish to freeze outside you will find ashtray's and the staff keeping the place clean - there are umbrella's and a good amount of seats for the size of this establishment.

As I say you can always find a warm welcome, the staff get to know you when you go regularly and know what you want to drink.

It can get busy but if you go early enough you will at least get a seat somewhere!

We have tried other cafe's and are not impressed with them so we stick to here and since the refurbishment it is cleaner and the menu is vastly improved.

You can have food & drink or either of these combinations you don't feel obliged to have food when you are there.

If you want a friendly biker place then try Kosta's - you won't be disappointed. They have a breakfast club on a Sunday morning in the summer about 8am if anyone is interested and a ride out from here ;-)

• Visited January 2014
Rawtenstall, United Kingdom
“Not impressed & I wont be back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stopped off in Matlock Bath for a spot of lunch and parked on a 1 hour spot. There are numerous places to choose from and I'm sorry to say we went for this venue and if you haven't got time to read the full review I strongly recommend you eat elsewhere.

If you look at my review history you will note that I very rarely score low as I try hard to sort the wheat from the chaff before dining.

The venue is basically a chippy that does sandwiches and some kebabs. The venue is on the high street and has a fish counter on one side and some tables on the other. The place was fairly clean.

We ordered a sausage and chips and the mini fish deal- all pretty straightforward. We were told to take a seat next door and struggled to find a spot that had been cleared of the previous occupants places. I blame myself for not checking more thoroughly before ordering but looking around no one was eating - everyone was sat down waiting for food. Now - in my opinion a chippy is the ultimate fast food and in a well organised shop, you might wait 5 minutes for chips to be cooked or fish fresh to order but I noticed these sat in the hot box on top of the fryer when we ordered. We waited for about 20 minutes and food started to arrive. We were about fifth in the queue so our food came after 30 mins.
My sausage was dry and un-appetising - at over £1 for a sausage I expect better in the quality of the sausage and how well it has been cooked. The staple of a good chippy - the chips - were soft on the outside and undercooked in the centre. My partner reported their fish as ok and the curry sauce as nice and so I have marked the establishment up for this. The instant coffee was drinkable. I did not bother to complain since with our parking time rapidly expiring I could afford another 20 minute wait for the food to be served.
Service was poor with food being handed out but with no customer checks on meal satisfaction.

In summary, in my opinion, a lot of money charged for poor quality food that has been badly cooked then left to dry out before being served. I will not return.

• Visited January 2014