“Great B&B”
Review of Cables B&B

Cables B&B
Ranked #1 of 8 Matlock Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed at The Cables for one night while walking round Matlock. We were warmly welcomed, the bedroom and bathroom were well equipped, the bed comfortable, everything was very clean and there were nice finishing touches, candle lite in room, fridge with drinks and snacks. We had an evening meal which was very good and and well presented. Breakfast was excellent with a good range of food, home made bread and muffins. What stood out was the standard of service with a genuine focus on the guest

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Cables B&B

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Highly reccomend this b&b. It was clean, tidy, all were very friendly. Lovley breakfast and rooms. Amazing Hot Tub (highly advice to try it)
Overall the experience was so good and will tell friends about it!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed for our anniversary and were very happy with our stay. While the room prices might seem a little steep, for the area they are good and the extras there, such as mini bar prices, evening meal prices etc. were all 'incredibly' cheap. I don't think I've ever even taken something out of a mini bar before and I ate half the snacks in this one :)

Some very nice personal welcoming touches that I won't spoil the surprise of for future guests, nicely located a short walk away from the 'front' of Matlock Bath and ample parking or right next to a bus stop and just a short walk from the train station.

The room was medium sized, nicely maintained and a spotless bathroom (no bath for those of you who care about such things, we didn't). The guest's living room has a wood burner which smells amazing and with only 3 rooms the chances of being the ones to choose the tv channel are pretty high :D We also made use of the outdoor jacuzzi, again reasonably priced and a nice bit of fun, especially in an ever popular UK coldsnap. The owner even brought us some cold beers.

I've left the best until last, the food was 'amazing', both the included breakfast and the evening meal ordered from a menu. Home cooked by the owner with meat bought in fresh from a local butcher and 'very' reasonably priced. We even asked to come back for an evening meal on the day we checked out (Which they graciously allowed).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2014

The Cables is one of those rare gems you come across only very occasionally. I have just returned from a two-night stay for a last-minute short walking break and am very glad I booked there. The owners Roger and Maureen are genuinely friendly, good people; I felt like a welcomed guest rather than simply a customer, and wanted for nothing. They provide many little extras normally (in my experience) only found in much larger places: minibar in the room (very reasonably priced), and such a range of toiletries and the like that you really needn't bring any with you! The food is superb; a large range of breakfast choices (my Full English was perfect, including possibly the best Black Pudding I have ever tasted!), and I could go on for hours about the evening meal I had - a restaurant quality three-course meal for about half what you might normally expect to pay. My only regret is I didn't book to use the hot tub, but next time I most definitely will! I can't recommend this place highly enough; they'll be the first number I call whenever I look to stay in the area from now on. MarkA

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Was a bit disappointed after all the glowing reviews, to be honest. Seemed a pretty stock standard B&B and the welcome I received wasn't particularly warm at all. Nothing wrong with it, but the effusive praise all over this site leaves me quite mystified. I think I must have just got the owner on a bad day or something!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank sper12London
thecables, Owner at Cables B&B, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

I am a little mystified aswell as you state you stayed in march 2013 and I have no recollection that far back, all said and done I apologise that your stay was disappointing and welcome your call to make amends
kind regards
roger and maureen

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We spent a lovely couple of nights at this brilliant B&B. We decided to escape to the country for a well deserved break and celebrate our anniversary. I read the reviews on tripadvisor and decided that The Cables would be perfect for us. And it really was perfect. We received a warm welcome with tea and cake by the fire, then we were shown to our room. It was so perfect: Rose petals on the four poster bed, heart shape balloons and cushion, towel swans and signs wishing us a happy anniversary. It was such a lovely personal touch that meant the world to us. We had full english breakfasts both mornings and they were delicious. We were sat at the table by the window and had a lovely view of High Tor. We enjoyed some time in the cosy lounge and the fire was most welcome on a cold January eve. Roger and Maureen were very welcoming and were keen to help in any way. The B&B on the whole was very comfortable. I would highly recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We spent a wonderful weekend here. The dinner on the Friday night was beautiful, including locally caught Derwent Trout.
Roger and Maureen made us feel very welcome and our room was gorgeous including a four poster bed.
They went out of their way to cater for our every need too.
Very highly recommended - especially the hot tub which is in the garden surrounded by fairy lights.

Room Tip: We stayed in the smaller four poster bedroom and it was lovely.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
#1 of 53 in Matlock
Ashdale Guest House
Ashdale Guest House
#2 of 8 in Matlock Bath

Been to Cables B&B? Share your experiences!