“Excellent value Afternoon tea!”
Review of High Tor Hotel

High Tor Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Matlock Bath B&B and Inns
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent value Afternoon tea!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I visited this hotel this afternoon after buying a voucher on groupon. Must admit the hotel is very impressive as you drive up to it it looks smart and clean and inviting. Upon entering the hotel the standards are just as good it has clearly been recently refurbished and looks very impressive inside also. We were met by friendly staff who guided us to our table and within ten minutes were served with a beautiful afternoon tea which represented excellent value. Well done High Tor we shall definitely be going here again possibly for Sunday lunch as that looked very good too!:)

3 Thank Ruthy72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I am always surprised at the huge discrepancy in the best and worst reviews for a place. I can only assume that there are those for whom NOTHING will ever be right, and they are just born moaners! My partner and I stayed on the 8th September. High Tor is a Grade 2 Listed building and is very attractive. It has been sympathetically restored, with the rooms we saw being of a very high standard. Lucy, the manager, and her staff were friendly and very helpful - we asked for a pot of tea at roughly 7.30am Sunday morning and within 5 minutes it was brought to our room. The evening meal was delicious - my partner had the lamb and I had the chicken - with a lovely mushroom and tarragon soup starter.
Nothing was too much trouble, and we had a lovely stay in a lovely Hotel, not hindered by being conveniently located about half way between Matlock and Matlock Bath in easy walking distance.
Minor gripes, mentioned before, are the lack of tea/coffee facilities in the room and, well, that's it really! Thank you to Lucy and her staff for a lovely weekend!

Room Tip: The 'bridal' suite is superb!!
3 Thank JDB56
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I travel to Matlock regularly and have resided in many of the hotels on offer, I decided to give High Tor a go, and I was pleasently surprised! I stayed in a nice room, with a decent sized bed, which, might I add, gave me a fantastic nights sleep before a big meeting that i was dreading!
I had a proper breakfast with homemade bread! not many places offer that anymore! And everyone i came across approached me with a smile.
Thanks to all the staff, I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Just tell the staff your requirements and they will cater accordingly.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank kate s
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for one night over the recent bank holiday, with my 3 and 4 year old children and a cousin. We booked the family room and found ourselves in a gorgeously decorated clean bright room big enough for the children to run around in. The staff were superb, nothing was too much trouble them. I was worried about noise from the road below the hotel, with it being a very busy bank holiday.However we couldnt hear a thing and the children slept very well. The food was absolutely superb, the service first class,and the staff very helpful especially catering for the children.Overall a brilliant experience for us all. I would thoroughly recommend it, and will book again for christmas.Well done everyone and keep up the great work.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank nassim a
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Booked a 1 night stay in a luxury room with either jet shower or luxury bath.Must have missed the small print.
We got an attic room with normal shower no headroom because of the sloping roof and a small bed.With traffic noise from the busy road below the front of the hotel.
Hotel had lift but only up to the first floor, rooms on the top floor accessed by what i found to be a steep staircase with no hand rail that was difficult to descend around the corner.
hotel full so could not be moved
staff good food good .
access to property up sloping road both entrance and exit very poor.
no designated footpath, no hand rails , very steep entrance road found it risky to walk up and down going to town.Perimeter wall that stopped you falling down to main road below did not seem to be finished to me, and a steep drop down a flight of overgrown concrete steps next to the entrance slope was not signed gated or fenced off, children beware.
Location great and staff great.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room on the first floor as the one we had on the second floor was small noisy an...
boyle
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This was a large town house that has being converted to a lovely new hotel just at the town boundry.the rooms are bright and airy and finished to a very high standered. The food was lovely and there was a great varity, Great ! is the only word to describe the staff who were all locals which was a help to us as we were touring this part of the uk for the first time .i must add that the whole place was spotless. jim.

> Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:28:49 -0400

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimoc2008
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night, the location is excellent, just a 10 minute walk to either Matlock or Matlcok Bath. We were welcomed by very pleasant staff, and Lucy the Manageress showed us a couple of room options, which were excellent, very modern and clean.The bathrooms were of a very high standard. The hotel, although a listed building had a comtemporary look and feel. The evening meal was very well presented and we were served at the bar well into the night. Breakfast was not buffet but by choice from the menu, all options were catered for. We had a very relaxing stay, nothing too much trouble, highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HighTorr, director at High Tor Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the high tor. We have taken our guest reviews into account and rooms now have tea and coffee making facilities. Also we are launching a more reasonably priced bar menu for our guests to enjoy. I will let both Alison and Lee know you appreciated they're service and we hope to see you again.

Sofia
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Bagshaw Hall
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell

Been to High Tor Hotel? Share your experiences!