“A special place”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Matlock Bath
Stockport, United Kingdom
“A special place”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We so much enjoyed our stay at this old hotel that we will be sure to go back. The owners since May this year are friendly and helpful, and did everything they could to make us welcome. The hotel itself is unusual, with a deliberately old fashioned feel that many others have whitewashed over. But that is what makes it special, as you get a feel for how this place has welcomed travellers since Victorian times.
it could do with an update in some respects, with the odd bit of scuffed decor, and we found our bed a little saggy. Otherwise this would be a five star rating for sure.
The menu is carefully put together and the food is interesting and good quality. One minor gripe is that the wine had not been chilled which was a waste of a good sauvignon blanc.
We were very lucky to accidentally stay here on one of the October weekends when the illuminations are on. There are illuminated boats on the river, and fireworks at 9pm, and the whole town was buzzing with probably thousands of visitors... it was a real great atmosphere and one we hope to get to again.

Room Tip: Mayfield is a superior room at the top of the house, with great views across the river.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a long weekend a short while ago. It is not the cheapest option in Matlock Bath but is certainly one of the nicest. Lovely owners, fantastic rooms (the one we stayed in was like a manor house) and the location is in the middle of Matlock Bath.

The food is a particularly highlight. Again, not the cheapest option in town but it was delightful. The lamb was cooked to perfection and minty mash was a revelation. Lovely that the chef came out to check on us as well.

Well worth looking at as one of the better options in the area.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night for a visit to Matlock Bath illuminations. Chris & Zoe, as others have said are lovely hosts and staff extremely friendly and helpful. We were welcomed and shown to our rooms by Chris, I stayed in the Eyam room with my daughter and dog, and my parents in the room next door. Rooms were immaculate and decor in keeping with the rest of the hotel. Loved the little touches where the dog was concerned, food bowls and blankets were provided and the following morning at breakfast a sausage was brought out for the dog too (which was devoured back home!)
We were lucky enough to get a parking space at the top of the hill behind the hotel, and the hotel itself is in a very central location so no need for us to use the car while we were there.
We chose to eat in the restaurant for our evening meal before heading out, wow, food far surpassed what was expected. Cannot recommend this hotel enough, and if I'm ever planning to visit Matlock Bath again, I know where I will be staying!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed here for two nights, having a break from visiting family!

Chris and Zoe are marvellous hosts. Chris recommended the room based on my preferences, Zoe gave me the right booklet for the walks in the area (which are lovely) and most thoughtfully of all: when I came back late from seeing my team Ipswich blow a 4-1 lead at Derby, what I found left out for me was what I most needed in the world - a beer!

The breakfasts set you up for the day, and dinner was great: the restaurant deserves a 5-star rating in its own right.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Loughborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife a I visited Matlock Bath and stayed at the magnificent Hodgkinsons Hotel.
We had a lovely time, Chris & Zoe were wonderful hosts.
I cannot recommend the Hotel highly enough,
Fantastic food, Lovely room, Open fire, Licensed bar, Perfect Location, Friendly Staff,
We will definitely stay here again, but this time we will book an evening meal (we ate whilst out this time)
And to top it all there are caves just out of the back door of the hotel to explore.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Just returned home from a weekend stay at the Hodgkinson's for our wedding anniversary. Wow, what a wonderful experience in this amazing Victorian style hotel, our room was large and fantastically furnished with everything we needed (not to mention the fresh cookies), even catering for things we may have forgotten. The bedding was luxurious, I wish I had asked where the duvets came from. We had dinner in the cosy restaurant which was as special as the rooms and the wonderful attention the owners Zoe and Chris made to the enjoyment of the stay (they were the perfect hosts). Please make sure you make the most of the traditional breakfast which was made using locally sourced produce, how nice to have an explosion of flavours in the morning as well as the evening which was one the best dinning experiences we have had in ages. I had forgotten what an English breakfast should taste like. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did. We will definitely be going back and will recommend this hotel to our friends and family.

Room Tip: All rooms unique and individual as you would expect with a Grade II listed building, a couple of roo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

As a surprise for my darling husband I booked a dinner bed and breakfast one nights stay.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the proprietor Chris who was really lovely he gave us a upgrade to the Riber (a delightful four poster bedroom stepping back in time to Queen Victorias reign. Loved the bathroom which was pristine with a white roll top bath lots of quality toiletries , fluffy towels) must mention full marks for the hospitality tray china cups and saucers fresh ground coffee but best of all loose tea!!!! complete with tea strainer!!!!

A table was booked for dinner and we were looked after superbly by chef Kevin and Rosie the waitress.

Next morning after an excellent nights sleep we ventured down for breakfast Zoe the other half of Chris introduced herself equally as charming as her husband. Totally spoiled with a hearty breakfast for my husband and a healthier choice for myself.

Full marks to the team at Hodgkinsons we will be back soon!!

• Stayed September 2013
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge
The Izaak Walton Hotel

Been to Hodgkinson's Hotel? Share your experiences!