“Don't try the hard sell outside”
Review of Charles Restaurant

Charles Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 34 Restaurants in Matlock Bath
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Really wanted to take my Son for a fish and chip restaurant, was trying to look at the menu but the guy outside ... presumably the owner was touting for business. I HATE THAT! HAd a quick meal, very very average and the next 3 days crossed over the road so as not to hear his voice trying to pull us in. Someone tell him us the public hate this kind of selling. Won't be going back.

3  Thank PianomanRob

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Have the combo, scampi as it should be cooked!! I will never want to eat that frozen stuff ever again!!
Wonderful friendly staff. Fabulous

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I wouldnt normally write a review of a fish and chip restaurant, as generally you know what you,re getting every time, however the staff were that charming and hospitable that I felt compelled too write a review. We went as a large party of family and friends one miserable wet October night. The staff were lovely, especially with the kids, playing with them and generally entertaining them whilst we ate. As any parent will know, kids become bored very easliy during meals out and the fact the staff kept them occupied meant that we could eat our meals in peace. We all thought the food was great. Everything we ate seemed freshly cooked , apart from one of tour party who had a pie, which she said had been microwaved. The place was half full, so the staff had time to spend with us, it may be that the service dips when the place is packed : ie when the firework displays are on, but I wouldnt hesitate to go back again as we all enjoyed eating there ( bar the person who had the pie ) very much.

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

To be honest I've had better - and cheaper fish and chips. The staff try to be friendly but they need to raise their cooking game if they're to stay in the game. Better elsewhere in Matlock Bath.

1  Thank Gritstone
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Disappointed with the chips and chicken pie. Both looked to have come from the freezer. £7.90 for a quarter of a chicken pie "I didn't even get my own individual pie!" The chips were cheap cut and cold and the only thing I felt was hot was the Gravy but It was bland.
There was zero customer service and realistically it was a huge disappointment from what the signs and outside presentation offered.

The man who was touting for business outside the premises I saw while eating had lit a cigarette while people were eating ...I was quite put off

God help you should need to use the facilities.. female wc is the size of a postage stamp. One toilet so an endless queue and no toilet paper, we had to borrow some from the men's wc!! The floor slides and isn't secured at its base so lifts! "Truly zero customer thought"

Add into this the constant smell of lard which made me feel sick... do not be fooled by the pretty outside ..it can be this bad "avoid avoid avoid!"

1  Thank SamanthalNottingham