“ok, its not going to win any awards, but...”
Review of County & Station - CLOSED

County & Station
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a traditional English pub and we specialise in superb real ales from all over the country. Beers from our very own Shiny Brewery are always available alongside others not usually available locally. We have been voted Matlock and Dales CAMRA Town Pub of the Year 2015. We are the sister pub of Derby City and Derbyshire CAMRA pub of the year 2014, The Furnace, Duke Street, Derby (the home of Shiny Brewing Co.) We also offer a wide range of Craft ales and traditional ciders. Food is currently served Wednesdays and Thursdays 12-3, Fridays and Saturdays 12-8 and Sunday Lunches 12-3. Our Tapas and Home Made Scotch Egg menu is available all day every day. We look forward to seeing you. Cheers!
Reviewed October 31, 2012

They catered for 13 people, 3 generations, from 3 months (ok she wasn't eating) to 86 years, with good humour. Food was straightforward, but everyone happy, everything served at once, and good value. Cask ales were excellent, at least Jenning's Cocker Hoop.

There are newer reviews for County & Station

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have to say we were so happy with our find that I thanked the landlord and complimented the landlady,and thought well i must put our feelings on here,before I started i read a few of the other comments.... so if you want to walk into a warm pub in walking boots(clean ones) with 3 of your 5 grown up kids move table places so as to fit 5 of you at a table get served by a smiling man behind the bar who has an amazingly funny laugh then recieve a plate full of homemade food which was so lovely ...."home made chips "my other half told us several times :) then this is the place to go..... It is old appearing, it is warm ,it is friendly, it makes you feel comfortable...it is good value for money......You are in the peaks area you have been out walking a little wet and soiled you may be a couple or a family you may have a dog....you need to call in this gem and feel in the right place......but if like some you want your dinner now, in a white walled plush leather chaired cold room where staff only take your order and your money with no muscle movement to their faces then go else where.....I'm sure that if we are in the area again then it is here in the County & Station that you will find us :)

1  Thank skinnymin
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We went to Matlock for the boat illuminations and stopped in this pub for our evening meal.
When we arrived it was very busy but we didn't hav to wait long for a table, which I was very impressed as there was 6 of us.
We was recommended a few dishes by leaving customers, to which we took there advice and we wasn't disappointed at all.
We was warmly welcomed and greeted with a smile and our table was quickly cleared up before we sat down to order.
The prices was very reasonable for the standard of food we recieved. The chicken pies was huge and full to the prim with chicken and a homemade crust on top, we also ordered the steak which was cooked to perfection (medium) as to many places over cook it. Homemade chips was served not frozen like other places.
I could go on for ever, but in my opinion if you want excellent home cooked food stop here!!! :)

Reviewed October 13, 2012

cool landlord! good beer! excellent food! this is the best most welcoming pub in matlock bath! cheap pool table!the pub dog had a better knowledge of of pool than us!ime sure she kept shaking her head after every shot i took!lol

1  Thank Ash F
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I remembered this excellent pub from quite a few years ago and eagerly returned upon my recommendation with my wife and two friends on our way back from Manchester at about 5pm on a thursday night..

Upon entering I could tell that this place has slipped.. IN A BIG WAY!!

Where do I start??

Firstly it was empty with no atmosphere.. Not even music! The carpet was dirty, the furnishings are falling apart, many light bulbs are out, you can tell they just don't care..

The second thing was the fact that the landlord was more interested in reading his paper at the far end of the bar than serving us! No joke, we waited 3-4 minutes in a empty pub while he read his paper..

We nearly walked out then but thought we'd give it the benefit of the doubt as I'd had such a good meal and fun with the locals the last time I was in..

We ordered our drinks at £3.60 per pint of larger.. Seemed a bit steep? Sat down at a table, and looked at the menu.

Nothing special, pies, sausages, chips and peas, that kind of thing.

My wife decided she didn't want to eat there but told us to go ahead. We ordered. 3 pies, veg and gravy.

While we waited for our meal we had a few games of pool. The pool table is ok but has seen better days.

The biggest thing though is the smell of RAW SEWAGE!!! around the pool table and toilets. The smell just gets worse and worse the nearer the toilet door you get!

Do these people not clean?? It would appear not!

Then to top it off.. The landlord's wife came into the bar with a dog.. A little terrier.. The landlord then comes out from the kitchen and starts petting the dog letting it lick his hands and jumping at his chefs uniform!!! He then goes back into the kitchen and brings out our meals straight out!! I hope he washed his hands, albeit very quickly??

The food was like you'd remember your school dinner! Overcooked microwaved vegetables, a pie with little in it and gravy from granules! Yuck!!

We finished our drinks and couldn't get out there fast enough!!

This pub used to be thriving, but bad management has clearly killed this pub!

3  Thank bob b