“A hotel with history!”
Review of The Temple

The Temple
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Matlock Bath
Reviewed August 26, 2014

The Temple Hotel is a 17th century, small, family run hotel in beautiful Matlock Bath. Our hosts, Mel and Chris, were very welcoming, the bar was open and our first evening started with a much needed drink! Our room was very nicely furnished and in keeping with the age of the hotel. We explored Matlock and surrounding area over the weekend and enjoyed our stay very much.

1  Thank Barbara W

Reviewed August 26, 2014

I must say that this hotel really lived up to its reputation, despite the awful Bank Holiday Weather…It was a pleasure to stay there, and the staff couldn't be more pleasant, and its right in the bustle of Matlock Bath. We will certainly be going back there soon. many thanks to this lovely , clean hotel!!

Room Tip: Just ask for a front bedroom
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank calvinshaw69
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Although it does need quite a bit of TLC and agree with another reviewer that it is a bit pricy for being a bit run down. We had a king room which advertises a king bed but it isn't what we would call a king, a lovely size room though which had a nice feel and hubby enjoyed the biscuits with his cuppa. The staff were very pleasant and it's in a lovely quiet spot and a quick walk into town although a very steep walk. All in all we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2014

average hotel, needs refurbishing inside and out, very clean, friendly staff nothing too much trouble, the breakfast was excellent, good quality food. A bit on the expensive side for a room that needed refurbishment.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

lovely hotel with good sized bedroom and bathroom. Lovely furnishings and Friendly staff and a good breakfast served with a smile. Nice clean rooms and no problem parking the car. Lovely views from my bedroom. Nice bar too and just a short walk into town

Room Tip: Room two very nice and quiet.
1  Thank carolpete5
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I travelled to Matlock Bath for business, but enjoyed a relaxing stay in this family run hotel. The little linear town is land-locked and confined by the steep sided Derwent Valley, yet I could almost smell the ocean as it caused me to remember the seaside town in which I attended school as a child in the late sixties - down to the rock shops, amusement emporiums and tquirky fish and chip restaurants.

It's an incline and a half to get from the railway station and main road to The Temple Hotel - about a ten minute walk, if you know the short-cuts. The hotel is a period building and from the use of golden ratios, at a guess, I would place it to mid-Georgian 1770. It is said to have been a guest house to Lord Byron and Victoria as a princess.

My room was modest, with an en suite, but with a lovely view down to the Derwent and up to the Heights of Abraham. I was comfortable, care-free and satisfied.

Wifi worked efficiently when needed, good reception on the digital TV, adequate facilities for a cup of tea with biscuits whilst watching shadows of clouds dance across the tree clad valley.

Check in was fast, friendly and I was shown to my room by the duty receptionist.

I'd return to this hotel - but I'd bring good walking boots next time, allowing time to build a thirst for the seventeenth century pub at the heart of the town.

I'd even recommend this hotel to my parents.

Room Tip: A front facing room affords a wonderful view over the town and to the hills beyond.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Relentlessvoyager
Reviewed June 23, 2014

A friend and I stayed here for the weekend. We were alarmed when we drove up that it was a long way down to the 'town' however we soon found the shortcut and it was easy. Good sized bedroom, well furnished and clean with an excellent bathroom with bath and shower. The bar feels more like a pub rather than a 'faceless' hotel bar and there was some lively conversation with the locals. The breakfast provided a very good choice including veggie options. It is clear the friendly owners have a massive refurbishment project and the work done is tasteful and in keeping with the age and character of the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1 mi away
Alison House Hotel
Alison House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cromford

Been to The Temple? Share your experiences!