“A cozy pearl on the Maresme coast”
Review of Hotel Mitus

Hotel Mitus
Ranked #1 of 3 Canet de Mar B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“A cozy pearl on the Maresme coast”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was one of the most pleasant surprises I have ever experienced in my history of traveling. I don't like crowded tourist resorts. I prefer locations where I can get into conversations and learn more about local culture. Hotel Mitus was the perfect choice for such a stay. Excellent location, three minute walk from the railway station (fifty minutes from Placa Catalunya in Barcelona, trains running every half hour), one minute walk from the best beach in the region, and just a few steps from the historical centre of a town packed with modernisma architecture. A friendly and charming multi-lingual staff takes care of their guests in this family-run hotel. Rooms are simple but very comfortable. If you need a parasol for the beach, an umbrella or a hair dryer - you can borrow it in the reception. Do you want suggestions for walking trips in the mountains, concerts, town fiestas or where to buy shoes? Just ask - and you will get answers in German, English, Russian, Spanish or Catalan. Y

Canet is a quiet town, unlike many others on the Maresme coast, and Mitus is a quiet hotel. There is practically no street noise at all.

The hotel has 10 rooms (as far as I could tell). In the whole town there are probably 20 rooms all together. If you are lucky enough to get one of them, you will spend your time in true catalan history.

I have stayed in many different hotels in the region earlier. But from now on, Mitus will be my first choice. I will definitely go again. The only problem is that the Hotel is so small that I may not recommend it to all of my friends.

Do you need a hair cut? No problem. Just across the street is a hair dresser. Do you want a dinner with esparrecs and butifarra washed down with delicious cava? A couple of minutes walk from the hotel doort throug the Carrer Aple will get you exactly that (and you will pass some amazing modernista buildings on the way). Are you temted by delicious local cured meat (fuet, longanissa, pernil etc.) just walk 100 meters straight up from the to the church and sit down at the bar where a charming couple can teach you about local wines, and point out the differences between different cured sausages.

In short Mitus is a lovely hotel, and the townspeople of Canet are welcoming you in a way that will make you feel at home from your first evening.

There is free WIFI in MItus, but the coverage is so-so. In my room, it was difficult to get a stable connection to the network. If there is one thing I could complain about, this is it. WIFI coverage in the bar is ok, though, so I read my news and checked my email there.

I cross my fingers, hoping that Canet de Mar will stay a small, quiet town where people take care of each other. It is a beautiful example of a true Catalan society. With Barcelona just a short trip away, the mountains close by (you can walk from Mitus to the mountains, for chrissakes) and the best beach I have found on the Maresme coast, Hotel Mitus is one of those few hotels that makes me want to return again and again. This was my first visit, but it will definitely not be my last.

Room Tip: You are 100 meters from the best beach you can imagine, and 200 meters from the historical centre of...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed here in June-extremely hot!! (AC very effective in rooms)
Rooms were simple, but clean & fit for my purpose as a base to relax & explore. Free Wi-Fi included.
The beach is just over the road-& impeccably clean.Hotel will lend beach parasols-very useful.
Train station just a short walk away-clean, efficient trains every hour to barcelona, or in the opposite direction to explore the other small beach towns dotted along the coast.
Canet is small & friendly, and a nice taste of catalonia.
Staff helpful.
Would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Dicey5
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed August 28, 2012

First of all, a thank you to the helpful and friendly staff. We had received an incorrect booking confirmation from the hotel booking site, but we didn't have time to be worried before the problem was solved.

Our room was small, but it had a bed, AC and bathroom as well as a small balcony -all you need for this kind of vacation, really. Bed a bit hard but comfortable.Disturbed by noise from room next door the first day, sounded like it was our door being opened, but otherwise little to no noice. Breakfast not included, but room so cheap it didn't bother us. We had breakfast in the backyard, shaded in the morning. There was always a cold, cold beer awaiting in the bar and part of the staff speak English. But I had to practice my Spanish:) .

The hotell provided parasolls and straw matresses in the lobby, even a small beach-tent. The beach is really close, we went down two or even three times a day (it was very hot so we observed siesta). Free wifi.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Martina O
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We wanted a small hotel in a small town in the vicinity of Barcelona, and that's what we got. And a good one at that! Very clean, relatively comfortable and excellent value for our money. The short distance to the beach and the railway station, the nice garden perfect for (a very decent) breakfast or a pre-dinner drink, the air condition and the free Internet - all these are definitive assets. Also, Pension Mitus is situated right in the middle of town, but even so the street noise is negligible.

Any negative aspects? Well, the matresses were quite hard and I missed a hair-drier, but these are mere trifles compared to all the positive things that are to be said about this little hotel.

Canet de mar is a town as Spanish as they get in these parts = no overload of tourists. A good place to stay if you're looking for a mix of beach, trekking (good routes nearby), small-town atmosphere and a relatively short distance to the big city life of Barcelona.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travelse123
Mount Rainier, Maryland
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We enjoyed our two nights of downtime in Canet de Mar. The pension is clean, conveniently located, and a great value. Booking was hassle-free. On our way out Jaime made some excellent recommendations for our visit to Barcelona. If we are in Barcelona again in need of a break, we will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2012

So this hotel charges you even though you have to cancel because you have to fly back home because your grandmother died unexpectedly! Never have known such inhuman people and on top of it all they don't take responsibility and blame booking.com!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Ikkedus
mitus, Propietario at Hotel Mitus, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
first thing is that we mourn the loss of his grandmother, and we take to clarify your complaint.
You made a reservation trought Booking.com for 3 nights, which specifies that the conditions of reservation can be canceled without charge until 24 hours before arrival, and was advised that the first night will be charged in case of no show or canceling the same day.
You canceled in same day and was told he would lose the first night.
All Hotels reservations and also receive many many cancellations, we try to be flexible for our customers, so only 24 hours without charge, but must understand that we organize our offers, work, personal in terms of reserves, but we need to have a minimum warranty on the reservation, if not would be impossible to organize the operation of any variant hotel if people could cancel at any time.
Perhaps an airline will return the money on a ticket, a ticket to a cultural show, sporting event just before the beginning? I believe no , that sincerely.
We understand no one likes to pay 46 e. by a loss reserve, but I think writing is a big rip off and we are inhuman is a bit excessive, however we respect your opinion, just wanted to clarify his complaint.
After 26 years serving thousands of customers we want to continue taking care of them all While we can, carefully, Jaume Infiesta Hotel Mitus.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2011

With no apparent view in mind of what I was expecting it actually ticked all the boxes. I am a fisrt time visitor to Barcelona and although Spain was not a stranger this part of the contry was. I was greated with greatest of understanding as I do not speak a word of any other language other than English. Patient owners and went out of their way to help us make the most of our trip to the big city. Travel was a breeze compared to England as usual in any country but my own! The Hotel delivered in looks and comfort also. Our view was lovely of the beach and streets of Canet de Mar. Local area was quiet but interesting and had many shops to browse. Some interesting history there alone. The beach was clean and we enjoyed a dip! I would reccomend the hotel.It was a great base to travel from and the cost is reasonable for the accomodation.

Room Tip: First floor sea view has some road noise but not alot.worth the view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Sant Pol de Mar
GHT Hotel Maritim
GHT Hotel Maritim
#13 of 43 in Calella

Been to Hotel Mitus? Share your experiences!