“Superb”

El Campero
Ranked #1 of 116 Restaurants in Barbate
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in Barbate , fishing village whose traditional cuisine draws inspiration Campero 's letter , being Wild Bluefin Tuna Almadraba the undisputed star . Traditional cuisine with Japanese touches and cutting edge , but giving priority to the authentic flavor of the dish . With brightly decorated , clean and simple shapes, El Campero provides an exclusive atmosphere to enjoy a unique experience.
Galway
“Superb”
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

We visited El Campero for lunch with our toddler. The service was excellent and the waiter ensured that we were able to include our toddler in the dining experience. The food was superb from start to finish, the foie and the smoked sardines were as good as it gets. The price was more than reasonable.
Go visit, you won't be disappointed.

• Hebrew first
gt1955
“Better than Japan”
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

We experienced the Tapas section and were totally amazed at the excellence in freshness, presentation and taste.
Go early !

Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing: average impatient service, frozen tuna...”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I feel bad about writing review about this restaurant, given that my friend who brought us here, has highly recommended it and has been here many times over the years and had good experience. Even he had to admit that we had an "off night", and my tuna was particularly problematic. Starting with the positive, the front bar staff were super friendly, and maitre'd lovely. However, the service staff inside were stuffy, impatient and rushed, and it took some trouble explaining to 2 of the staff about getting the wakame salad (in Spanish by fluent speakers), they had no clue what it was, until we explained it was the salad that they brought us spicy tuna with. With some reluctance and delay the salad appeared. Service was poor, no water or wine refilled once.

The best dish was the aforementioned spicy tuna starter. My sashimi tuna was the biggest disappointment - I could not eat it because it was not defrosted properly - it was so cold, icey frosty in the middle, even ice-crunchy on bite. I had to wait for 20min just to be able to put it in my mouth without freezing my mouth off. Because it was frozen, it tasted super watery. My friends spicy tuna was also raw and clearly not frozen, and it tasted beautiful. Tuna tataki was also good. So it was such a shame that my sashimi did not fare so well. The grilled tuna (two different cuts) ordered by my friends were lovely, if very fatty, but the accompaniments were some poorly roasted potatoes and the like, strange, bland and uninteresting. Potential lost. Overall, disappointing, pricey, and when combined with dull brightly lit white office lamp type interiors, not a place to which I would wish to return.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank l-globetrotter
Sundsvall, Sweden
“Marvelous fish”
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Great restaurant, with standard higher than the town were it is located, with fresh and marvelously cooked fish, well organized personnel, great hospitality and reasonable prices for the service provided

• Visited September 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“thrilling ways to eat tuna even for someone who hates tuna”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Staying in Vejer, so near to Barbate, I looked up on tripadvisor and saw this was number one. when I read all the reviews, and saw they all spoke only of tuna this and tuna that, I was close to giving it a miss. if you know tuna in Britain as the dry, rotten wood texture or thick with mayonnaise in a sandwich, you'll know what I mean.
but we went, learning that this is where the best tuna in the world is caught.

and this really is an exceptional experience.
we tried around seven tapas dishes, and every single one was superb. The presentation is gorgeous, and the flavour combinations are exquisite. Experimental, yet exceptional. they create, for example, a 'bon bon of gazpacho, which actually does seem like a sweet, except it's magically savoury, and inside the thin, crisp yet melting globe is a smooth, rich gazpacho. The things they do with the tuna are absolutely remarkable - and the desserts afterwards were superb too.
Each tapas is around 5 euros and we had seven between three of us, which was enough. Absolutely gorgeous and remarkable. It doesn't look like much from the outside, and when we arrived at 8pm it was empty. we thought they were closing, but by 9pm it was bursting full. superb.

• Visited August 2013