All reviewsleisure centrekids clubbar foodwould highly recommend this hotelbusy barlovely hotelswimming poolfamily roomfood was lovelysauna and steam roomwedding partychanging roomsself catering housesfamily breakvery pleasant staydungarvan townreception desk
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here during bank holiday in August. We found the rooms were nice and quite spacious. Swimming pool/leisure area was also very good. Bar is quite large but could do with some entertainment at night. Breakfast was lovely but breakfast room can be very busy. I found the food in both the bar and restaurant was okay but could be a lot better with not a lot to choose from. Staff in hotel very helpful. Hotel is in a good location, a nice 5 minute walk to centre of town with lovely views from the front of hotel. Dungarvan itself is a lovely town with some nice restaurants and bars. Would stay again if in the area.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed in hotel in August At check in could not find our reservation. Room had doors sticking tiles coming of floor in bathroom. Informed staff at time of booking, check in, booking of dinner that my partner did not eat fish meat or poultry. When we ordered our meal he was given 2 choices stir fry or lasagne he opted for stir fry as does not like lasagne only to be informed by our waitress it would take hour to do stir fry

Room Tip: We had room 226 don't take it
7  Thank Mary M
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed at the Park Hotel for one night on Saturday in early September, with my partner.

Let me first state the positive: the staff. The majority of the staff were pleasant and helpful, and must be commended for this. However, the establishment is run-down and in dire need of a renovation works.

We booked with the on-line rate on their website which was 135 euro per double room with double occupancy. As a frequent traveller, I was shocked to see the rooms on offer, and the overall look and feel of the hotel. For 135 euro, and a 4 star rating, I expected much more as it is not a negligible amount to spend on a hotel room in a small town in the South East of Ireland, and without a shadow of a doubt, this hotel was the poorest value for money I have experienced in Ireland overall.

Upon check-in, we went to our room to discover that:

a) It looked onto a dumpster and a number of overflowing bins (see image)
b) There were no net curtains on the window, so to change clothes we would have to close the curtains
c) There was only 1 lamp, and 1 light in the door area so the room as very dark (making the no net curtains issue more pertinent)
d) There was a roll down murphy bed, with a cheap wooden frame surrounding the mattress

I immediately went to Reception, where a very helpful front desk employee switched our room, to a standard room with 2 king size double beds. The employee was courteous and helpful, and could not be faulted in any way.

The second room was an improvement, if only that there was a 'normal' bed, and adequate light in the room. The bathroom had been partially updated, which was positive, but the overall feeling of the room was extremely worn (paint marks, peeling paint from the door, worn furniture).

I have attached a variety of images from my room and immediately outside, along the corridor.

It could be argued that I should have brought my additional complaints to the staff, however, how do you constructively address the fact that the whole hotel is worn and quite run-down?

If no renovation work is planned, then I think that the cheapest rate needs to be lowered to reflect the poor state of the furniture, fixtures and fittings.

Breakfast was included in our rate, and was acceptable. The restaurant area has obviously been redecorated, but I would say that the quality, presentation and cleanliness of the breakfast buffet/dining room was definitely sub-standard for a 4 star hotel.

The hotel is obviously centred around events (weddings) and housing those guests. However, with an upgrade, this hotel would be good value for money, in a great location. It is not acceptable however, to charge a quite high basic rate, as well as claim to be a 4 star hotel. Either the ratings system in Ireland is seriously at fault, or hotel management coordinated the inspection very well, and kept the inspectors away from much of the hotel.

I've written such a long review because I feel strongly that price charged for this product/service (e.g. renting a hotel room) was outrageously overpriced.

I would also strongly suggest that those 5 star reviews previously submitted under this entry, must be disingenuous.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sorcha011
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed at the Park Hotel in Dungarvan, when we saw a special offer advertised for 159 Euro each for three bed and breakfasts and one dinner.
From the moment we entered the doors, we were welcomed with open arms by the extremely friendly and efficient staff.
the dinner we had was the best meal my husband and I ever had and we have traveled extensively..
What I really liked was that breakfast was cooked to order and arrived piping hot. I'm coeliac and everything gluten free that I needed was there.
. There is a beautiful leisure center and gym attached tot he hotel. Our room was huge, a double bed and a single bed with en-suite, tv,desk and tea and coffee making facilities.
There are many rooms in the hotels to totally relax, from the extensive library to the sun room, which leads on to a patio and decking area with tables and chairs.
The park is within walking distance of the beautiflul Town of Dungarvan. with its picturesqe harbor, and is only three miles from beautiful Clonea Beach.
It is easy to realise that this hotel is family owned because of the efficiency of the operation, the excellent service and the welcoming atmosphere. we will return. Valerie Sweeney, Journalist.

Room Tip: Because the large car park is at the front of the hotel, no traffic noise can be heard. We were at the back of the hotel and slept like logs. We had a room service meal on one evening and it was really excellent.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I traveled to Dungarvan with our Golf Society for a weekend in June, and having become accustomed to disappointing accommodation on these trips in the past (in an effort to save money), The Park Hotel astounded us all! It was an unbelievable experience from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. The staff were very welcoming, the facilities were first class, and the food was on a par with some of the best restaurants I have been to. Top class all round.

We enjoyed this visit so much, many of us have arranged to return with our families, and it is a contender for this years weekend trip again.

Central to the busy night life in Dungarvan, but remote enough should you opt for a quiet evening in the company of the first class staff. One of the best hotels I've stayed in in Ireland - could not fault it on any front.

I will definitely be returning, as will the 20 or so golfers who accompanied me on my last visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends