“Good base to explore beautiful Waterford”

Park Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dungarvan
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a grab one deal which was a great deal aside from the fact the available dates were slim and after a lot of negotiation,hassleand reading small print terms and conditions we were finally accommodated with a date in April.

The hotel is based very close to the the town centre of Dungarvan and within striking distance of all Waterford has to offer, which in my opinion is a a lot!

The hotel is clean and staff in bar, reception, restaurant and leisure centre are very accommodating and friendly.

Parts of the hotel are in need of renovation or spruce up albeit they were still clean. The leisure centre looks a bit exhausted and has served it's purpose for along time at this stage.

The restaurant food was really nice and great value for our package. I must mention the male singer who was there on the night. A class act to say the least...great entertainer and singer who didn't over impose himself.

The bar atmosphere was dead with no music or entertainment and this showed with few customers present bar a handful.barman was a gentleman.

Rooms are big and spacious. Batteries were flat in safe so it was unusable.overall I was pleased.

This hotel is a worth a visit but with a little work could have potential to be a true gem.

Check out the town of lismore and its castle If down that was.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank dufferman

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here in April for a wedding and I really have mixed feelings about the place. I can't make my mind up whether it's a good place gone shabby or a shabby place being renovated.

The location of the hotel is great with a fantastic view and walking into Reception gave the impression of a good quality hotel. The area where the wedding reception was held again gave the impression of a good quality hotel. The food for the wedding was good and plentiful and the staff at the bar and tables very attentive and polite.

The bar seemed OK but I didn't spend enough time there to really comment. Breakfast in the morning was OK. We both had the smoked fish and scrambled eggs and that was very nice. The orange juice was very bitter and the coffee was really tasteless. I did feel the tables were very much on top on each other and gave very little privacy for chatting.

The rooms are really poor though. Cracked tiles in the bathroom, flaking paint on the doors, a television monitor about the size of a small computer screen and just a general feeling of lack of care. It was clean though. We supposedly got a wedding rate of €109 for the night which I felt was not a good price to pay for that standard of room. I was also surprised at the opening time of the leisure centre - 8.30 am on a weekend. I don't think this really caters for early risers and I was very disappointed as we were leaving early.

I would struggle to recommend this hotel to someone for a holiday and although I really enjoyed the wedding reception, I am disappointed with the overall quality.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We recently stayed at the Park Hotel as a good friend had chosen it for her wedding reception. The location of the hotel is very good and approaching it from the road it has an impressive facade. We had booked a family room with 2 king size beds. The size of the room was very good but the TV set seems a little small for a room of these dimensions. Clearly the room had not been checked before our arrival, as happens in many hotels. The room safe wouldn't lock as the battery was too low. It took 2 requests to get the battery replaced. The telephone in the room didn't work at all and we had to wait until the next morning to have it replaced. Our basin in the bathroom had a partially blocked drain that meant water was very slow to go and stopped totally so we checked out leaving a basin full of dirty water. The hotel has an excellent high power wi-fi for the use of guests, which is password protected and free. Sadly the system stopped working for almost 12 hours, but in the hotel's defence this can happen any time to any of us at any time, and often does. Our room did have one of my pet hates which is a shower over the bath with a shower curtain. Shower curtains clinging to you as you shower is an unpleasant experience and I think we all recall the scene from Psycho.

The cleanliness was not great and we found where someone had drawn on the wall. The drawing was mostly hidden by the curtains. There was a hole in the wall where it looked as though someone had drilled through it near the heater. There was a smallish self-contained wardrobe which we thought owed a lot in it's design to that of a Roman Catholic Church confessional. The carpets, in the corridors, are fraying quite badly in the public areas and there is a large room full of comfortable seating and a couple of very impressive wooden units. Like the carpets some of the chairs had been torn and damaged.

On our first night the hotel restaurant was not open and we had dinner in the bar. As one might expect the menu was very bar food orientated and not at all adventurous. It was served in good time and with a friendly smile. We only had a quick breakfast the next morning but the waitress was concerned that we should eat enough as it will be a long time until the wedding dinner is served.

The hotel made a great effort on behalf of the Bride and Groom for the wedding, which is what it was all about. Red carpet to welcome them back from t he church and a well designed room set out for the wedding dinner. It was impressive that there were menu choices, most venues will insist on guests pre-ordering their meals and will often insist on there just being a single choice with a very few options for different dietary requirements. Looking around the room, the food was being enjoyed and very clean plates were going back to the kitchen, which I guess is a good sign. I noticed the portion control was for very large meals and also served hot. Sometimes difficult to achieve on these big occasions.

The hotel occupies a large area and has the potential to do very well. I was told, but can't confirm, that it is under new ownership. Some investment and modernisation of the venue will enable the hotel go up a notch in it's rating. I have learnt over the years that hotels operate with their hardware and software (the people). In general the software of the hotel was good but the hardware needs some improvements. Friends of mine in the hospitality industry tell me that the hardware is the easiest bit to fix as long as the sottware works. Easy for me to say, but I genuinely think that some investment could turn this into a top quality hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kelhamcorp
Imelda_Walsh, Sales & Marketing Manager at Park Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Kelhamcorp,
We appreciate both the time and afford which you injected into compiling such a lengthy review and appraisal of our Hotel.
Weddings form a very large part of our business and we certainly take great care and satisfaction in hosting weddings and making them Dream Day events for all concerned. We acknowledge your wonderful comments in relation to the Location, the Banquet Hall, Service and the Quality of food at the wedding, and the availability and speed of WiFi throughout the hotel. We also acknowledge that, unfortunately, there was a technical problem in the area that weekend with both the WiFi and the telephone service which limited your enjoyment of the former; we do apologise for this.
Your comments in relation to the upholstery and the shower curtain have been taken and passed on to the relevant departments.
Thanking you again and I do hope you will return at some time in the future to enjoy the hospitality of a family-run Hotel - which is one of the Flynn Hotel Group

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We only discovered this hotel last year, having spent many years previously holidaying in the West of Ireland. Everything about this hotel can only be described as 'EXCELLENT' -- from the help and friendliness of the owner -- Pierce Flynn, and his wonderful staff --- to the excellent Bar and Restaurant food, and comfortable accommodation.
Additionally this hotel is only a very short walk to the centre of Dungarvan, and it's lovely harbour.
Looking forward to our next visit very soon.

Joe H. Dublin

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
1  Thank Joseph H

Dear Joseph H,
Thank you for your comments in relation to our Hotel.
We are delighted that you are enjoying our hospitality and we do hope that you will continue to call in when you are passing by.
Your review was very much appreciated by all and thank you for highlighting our location which we are proud of.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were a family of 5 passing through and had lunch here. Easy parking. Very good menu. Good choice and good quality. Staff very friendly. Bathrooms were spotless and it is a good spot to stop and take a breather if travelling a distance. Good atmosphere and buzz around the place. Based on our quick stop we would go back again.

Dear Mumof2Cork,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our Food, which we greatly appreciate.
Yes, The Park Hotel is located on its own 5 acre site on the fringe of Dungarvan town, on the N25. Accessibility is excellent with ample free parking around the hotel.
The daily lunch fare is very attractive owing to the quality, choice and value for money. Our Bathrooms are elegant and very well maintained. Thank you again for your comments and we do hope you will drop in again when you are passing through Dungarvan.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Attended a wedding here recently and have to say the whole day was excellent. I am shocked reading reviews from people who were at the same wedding & their complaints about the food. The food & service exceeded our expectations and having spoken to other guests, they were all commenting on how good the food was.
The Park Hotel is a great wedding venue and having attended many weddings here, we have never been disappointed. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Dubl123,
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments in relation to Weddings at the Park Hotel: the location, the venue, the quality of the food and the service.
We are delighted that you have always enjoyed your experience of our Hotel and we do hope you will return again very soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed three nights in that hotel, the hotel was almost full when i arrived, the room was not that clean upon arrival, I found some chocolate nuts on the floor and I found an old deodorant under the bed. The bathroom was clean and the water pressure was excellent. My booking was based on bed and breakfast.I had an Irish breakfast and it was more than excellent. I also had 2 dinners , the first one was at the main restaurant and the second one at the hotel bar and both of them was excellent , the food was very tasty. I highly recommend that hotel because of the food and beverages. Upon arrival I tried to change the room because I supposed to have a family room ( 1 king bed plus 2 single beds ) but I found the the only room available was with 2 king size beds. The receptionist did her best to change the room for us , she showed us 3 different rooms , I can give them excuse because of the Easter holiday. one day I asked for another key for my room and the receptionist did not ask for any information ( name of the room holder , any ID any details to be sure that I'm the room owner before issuing a new key for me ) this is not acceptable at all regarding the security at the hotel. My kids had a good time at the kids club for 2 days and they enjoyed their time there. The food and beverage staff was very helpful. I might come back to this hotel if they improve the quality of the room cleanliness , but I highly recommend this hotel for outsiders who would like to have a lunch or dinner at the hotel. I stayed in room 168 and it was very noisy in the around 9 am when the recycling truck was collecting the waste or recycle from the hotel. This happened 2 days and it was very annoying. I'm asking the hotel management to look after these small things which can make a bid difference.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Imelda_Walsh, Sales & Marketing Manager at Park Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Hello RemonYoussef,
Thank you very much for your comments in relation to the Hotel: The Reception staff, Restaurant and Bar, Bathrooms and Showers and the Kids Club. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and we do hope you will return again very soon.
Your comments in relation to the Bedroom have been taken on board and passed onto the relevant department,
Sales & Marketing Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dungarvan
Lawlor's Hotel Dungarvan
#1 of 7 in Youghal
The Old Imperial Hotel
The Old Imperial Hotel
#2 of 7 in Youghal
The Pilgrims Rest Hotel (ADULTS ONLY)

Been to Park Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!