“Very disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dungarvan
dublin ireland
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights for a family wedding & after reading the reviews we were expecting something more. We arrived on the Friday & to be fair check in was prompt, efficient & the receptionist was very pleasant & helpful. The room was fairly small considering the booking was for 2 adult & a child but it was clean, warm & comfortable. We had friends & family meeting us in the hotel & some decided to have a meal in the bar. 2 of our party had to return their meals due to food not being cooked properly. The waitress brought them another two meals & once again it was under cooked. Both were fish meals, the first serving the fish was raw, the second time it was stone cold in the middle. They decided not to eat a main course as a result & although the manager was called it did seem very poor to have both meals returned twice. One of the party just had her started & desert & was ill all night & the next day as a result. She is a non drinker so it had to have been what she ate. It also was very poor to then presented with a full bill, they actually charged for the two meals that were returned. They explained they had no problem paying for what was eaten but most certainly were not paying for two meals that were returned.
We ourselves didn't eat in the bar as our package included a 3 course dinner in the restaurant, it was a lovely menu, plenty to choose from but my dinner once again was under cooked! The starter & desert were fine but I was very disappointed with my main course. I purposely didn't choose fish but a meat dish but this also was under cooked.
Day 2, breakfast was mediocre.
We attended our wedding & we were all anxious about the wedding meal but one of the waitresses explained that management & the owner Mr Flynn had a meeting & were very apologetic about the meals the night before & assured us that all would be ok.
The dining room for the reception was lovely, staff very efficient, starters lovely but wait for it, the main course- disaster!! There was a choice of sea bass or lamb, half our table had sea bass the others, lamb. Ten at our table, two managed to eat their mains. The lamb was a disgrace, full of fat & grizzle & was like leather. The sea bass was worse, I actually filled a wine glass with grease & oil from my plate. I honestly am not one to complain & I am far from a fussy eater but this had to be the worst food I was ever served at a wedding. I spoke to lots of the other guests & it seemed about 50% were very unhappy with their meals. Seemed odd that half could get decent food & the rest of us didn't, I can only presume 50% were either too drunk to notice how bad it really was or they were just easily pleased!!
I rarely complain & I have travelled extensively but to say we were disappointed is an understatement. Its hard to sum up as the hotel itself although it does need a bit of TLC is in a nice location, has a nice leisure centre, the staff are warm & friendly & it is child friendly but wow the food is a major issue. I was gutted for the bride & groom as it was their big day & were so eager to please their guests. The last thing they needed to hear was the majority of their guests leaving disappointed with their meals.
I would not say I wouldn't return to this hotel as that would be unfair but I would need to be reassured that the food standards had been addressed & rectified. The hotel has a warmth about it & most of the staff are excellent but the problem lies within the kitchen.
I will await some feedback from management & hope they address the issue immediately.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor facing to the back of hotel, lovely & quiet & extremely war...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mesco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had recently got a voucher for 2 nights with dinner and to be fair we weren't expecting luxury. When we arrived a wedding party were still milling around the lobby. We were dealt with promptly and pleasantly. The room we were given had a disabled access shower and we asked for a change to one with a bath which was done. The room we had didn't have a view but it was in a good location in relation to the function room. The room was clean but lacked a few things like milk/water and a mini fridge for keeping drinks cool. The Lobby, Restaurant and Bar all looked clean and well kept. The rest of the hotel is showing signs of wear and doesn't match up to the photographs of it on their homepage. The leisure centre is very basic and again dated. The "Jacuzzi" is like an air pipe in the pool and I mean that and the steam room had six plastic deck chairs. Having said that there was a life guard on duty and everything looked clean. If you have young children the pool has a deep end and there will be a lot of other children in the leisure centre going by our experience.
We had a couple of drinks in the bar which was very nice for a hotel bar. The service was excellent. The surprise came in the morning. We went down for breakfast and I haven't had as nice a breakfast in years. I had the full breakfast while my partner went for the more continental style. The food was excellent and the service was spot on. So much so we were left wishing that the dinner we had booked for that night would come that little bit sooner. We weren't disappointed. Sea Bass and Stuffed Breast of Chicken(that title just doesn't do it justice) were our choices and it was delicious. The Sea Bass was cooked to perfection and there was a lovely ambience in the place. A live vocalist helps the digestion. We didn't want to leave the restaurant it was that good. Although we weren't drinking we did notice that staff took orders for bar drinks. And we still had another breakfast to come!! We had a lovely weekend away with the only drawback being that the hotel is showing its age and needs a facelift. Other that that it was very very good where staff made us feel laid back while doing everything they could to help.

Room Tip: Ask for a bath ensuite if you like a bath. All the rooms(only two floors) with even numbers have lar...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Imelda_Walsh, Sales & Marketing Manager at Park Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hello Andrew H,
We really appreciate you taking the time to post a very thorough review of our Hotel, and we are very pleased that you experienced a lovely relaxing weekend while you were here.
Our aim is to provide a quality package at a very attractive price; while affording all our guests the comfort and relaxation of a family run hotel. Our staff are trained accordingly and we are so happy that you have endorsed our motto.
We hope you will return again very soon for a longer stay,
Thanking you,
Imelda Walsh
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Firstly I want to say that the staff were amazing in this buzzing hotel.

I booked this hotel on a voucher deal. Sometimes when you get something on a voucher there is a scrimp on quality but not in this case.

When we arrived he were given a comfortable and clean bedroom, and we were booked in for a lovely meal in the hotel restaurant. The meal was lovely and yet again the staff were a pleasure.

We also used the leisure facilities twice and were delighted with the cleanliness of them and the helpfulness of the staff. Also the very good free wifi in the rooms was a bonus.

Breakfast was fine, you wouldn't really be wanting for anything! And the hotel was so busy and we still got this lovely service.

We left wanting to stay for longer and we found it so relaxing being there :)

Recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade a week before arrival. We asked on arrival and they were so busy she could only g...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank obries
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a family weekend; weren't expecting much as it was a real budget price- room was really fine, not as basic as some other budget hotels. The deal included dinner on one night- the food was really excellent. Nothing very complicated but just fish, steak etc perfectly cooked. Breakfast is standard enough but I asked for porridge made on water, and this was duly made specially, and arrived piping hot- I rarely order porridge in hotels as it is almost never hot enough- but the staff at breakfast actually listened to my request- something that is quite unusual in my experience. (The other night of the two we ate in a wellknown and expensive restaurant, delicious food but I would say that as a family we got more enjoyment out of the Park Hotel dinner). The bar food for lunch, on the other hand, is nothing special. But overall, very good value.

• Stayed April 2012
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a voucher as a gift from my parents so we knew we would not get the best room in the hotel but the room we got was very nice and very clean.
All the staff were polite and helpful , the only downside was the food was not great.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kildare, Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just been to this hotel for my wedding anniversary, it was amazing. I got this as part of a Moocher deal, so thought perhaps I would not get the same treatment as other full paying guests. I was totally wrong. On arrival, we were greeted by a lovely receptionist who made us feel very welcome. The food in the bar was excellent and as for the restaurant, the food was amazing. I have never tasted steak like it. The staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and efficient. It is perfectly based, just three minutes’ walk to town. I will definitely be going back to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Traveled over to dungarven for cheltenham preview night had a lovely stay at a great hotel
The bedroom was massive if this bedroom was in the Cotswolds it would cost three times the amount I paid also the room was very clean .
The staff were very helpful and really looked after me for my two night stay. breakfast was nice with as much tea as I could drink .
The owner piers even carried my bag to the taxi and wished me a safe trip home
I have just made a booking to return in may as iam missing the place already
Many thanks to the park hotel. see you soon keep up the great service

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dungarvan
Lawlor's Hotel Dungarvan
Waterford Marina Hotel
#3 of 12 in Waterford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,103 reviews
Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal

Been to Park Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!