“Self catering is pretty good” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Gold Coast Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dungarvan
Dublin
“Self catering is pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Booked in for a week self catering.
Enjoyed the stay the houses are large and really well set up. Plenary of things for the kids to do. Has an aged playground and a nice swimming pool. Didn't really spend much time in the hotel because we were self catering. We ate there once and it was ok. Nothing to write home about.
The stat was enjoyable and the house was well set up. You could do a lot worse self catering.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MadYolk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just back today from a nice long weekend in the Gold Coast and am a very happy customer.
Booked one of house and the value is Excellent,can not complain about one single thing if the rest of the hotels where to follow the Gold Coast blueprint we would all be a lot happier .
Value is outstanding but the crowning glory is the customer service ,excellent on all levels will defo be back

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Fengo
Cork
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Arrived at this hotel last night... very very quiet but for this time of year i suppose its expected. Not many other children here for a family hotel. Husband went in to the steam room and his foot got burnt and my daughter came out of the pool with two red eyes due to the amount of chlorine in the pool so not very impressed. The bar had a few old couples and not much of a lunch menu so we headed into Dungarvan town. Would defiantly come back to Dungarven but would give this hotel a miss

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
kerry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

i stayed here on the 1st and 2nd of january. this is a realy nice hotel. the leisure center is spotless and allways warm. good staff. we eat in the bar on the first evening and reasurant the second evening both were very good. we will be back and our 2 boys loved it.

Room Tip: ask for rooms with a sea view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank derKerry
Carlow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked a 4 bedroom house at the Gold Coast for myself & 8 sisters & we had a fantastic time & ate in the house Friday & Saturday nite & booked to eat in the Hotel on the Sunday & was told they finish up in the afternoon after lunch but on account of the 9 of us going for dinner they very kindly allowed us to book for dinner that evening at 6.30 & kept the chef on to cook for us, I am Coeliac & they said no problem they cater for all dietery needs & the food came out & was indeed delicious & we all cleaned our plates, I had soup & gluten free toast, Duck in a sauce & strawberries & cream for desert......but at 9.30 that night I was so sick & vomited everything up & had to go to bed for the last night of my familys get together which I was so dissappointed as it was the first time in years the 9 girls spent this precious time together, anyway the next morning I reported my sickness to the manager on duty to be told well we sterved duck the day before & no complaints....at no stage did I blame the duck for my sickness as I think it was the Toast put in an ordinary toaster & got contaminated by ordinary bread crumbs in the toaster.....very few chefs or people in the catering business think of this & think its no harm but its a simple thing like this that can ruin a persons night as it did mine.........if hotel management would only make sure all staff are sent on a Coeliac training course so they don't make these simple mistakes it would be great for us.........A great weekend spoiled by one meal........

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Skinrgize
Northern Ireland, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Gold Coast Hotel in Dungarvan, Waterford. To be honest i didnt check the hotel reviews as it was a last min booking by my Husband who wanted to do some sea fishing, and when I walked into the hotel reception (which is smartly decorated), it could have gone two ways for me, very badly or good, and too be honest I was thinking of convincing my husband to go home at least a day earlier!. Anyway, we got room 204 (excellent for wifi, and magnificent sea views). The room was spacious and clean, but yes, it was a bit retro say 1970/80's, but it was clean, the bed was very comfortable, I dont sleep well, but I had three great nights sleep, so changed my mind, first impressions are not always true! Breakfast is cooked to order, plus the usual cereals/juices, no complaints about the food, really nice breakfast's served by a really nice girl (think Eastern European)she a credit to the hotel! We had dinner on one night, and it was excellent, fresh veg and an enormous sirlion steak served by friendly staff.

The leisure part of the hotel was also spotless (swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi) but a bit of a trek to find it, but it added to the quirkyness of the hotel.

Overall our experience of the Gold Coast Hotel in Dungarvan was a pleasant one, but we had to embrace its quirkyness, and if I can do it anyone can, as I would have no hesitation in getting back into our car and driving away if it was a dirty hotel, with bad food and rude staff, but this was certainly not the case here, and the staff will go the extra mile for its guests, and unlike some of the branded 4star hotels that are now non decript with no personality, this hotel is full of quirkyness, but has not lost sight of the importance of customer service.

Room Tip: Room 204 for great view and wifi connection
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Amanda067
Stradbally, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was our first holiday as a family. My son is 9 months old and we didn't want to go out of the country this year. After a lot of researching, settled on these lodges. Loved the idea of staying in a house with the added benefit of a leisure centre.
Check- in was quick and easy. The lodge was spotless and as I said to my husband was like a home from home but cleaner! Luckily I knew from other reviews what to expect so brought towels, tea towels, some washing up liquid, dishwasher tabs, washing tabs, tea and coffee. We went out shopping at Lidl the first night but these are the kind of things you don't want to have to buy, I think personally.
The cot for the baby was great, was expecting a regular pack n' play but got a proper wooden cot and very decent high chair. Baby had a great time crawling around and not a speck could be found on the wooden floors.
This place proved to be a great base for touring around the coast which was nice and quiet due to the time of year. We cooked every night for the three nights and the kitchen was fab, any utensil you could think of was there. Great open space downstairs with kitchen, dining table and sofa, so very comfortable and the added bonus of another sitting room upstairs with a balcony. Yes, having 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms for just us was excessive, but still really good value. Heating was a little expensive but worth it with a small baby in the house and electricity charges were minimal. There was also free wifi which I hadn't expected and was handy for checking out directions and guides etc. Only bad thing I would say is that the TV stations were very basic but we didn't find it a problem.
We tried out the leisure centre quite a few times as it was baby's first time in a pool. There's a spacious baby pool and the main pool was excellent too. 1.35 m deep throughout and quite large. I made use of the steam room and sauna too which I thoroughly enjoyed but neglected to use the jacuzzi, but it looked quite sizeable. There was also a family room to use for changing separate to the regular locker rooms and was so convenient.
All in all, really enjoyed our stay and having stayed in places all over the world, this is the first time I've actually been inspired to write a review! Can't say much about the hotel itself, but would highly recommend the lodges.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Inchinc7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dungarvan
Park Hotel & Leisure Centre
Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal
The Pilgrims Rest Hotel
The Pilgrims Rest Hotel
#2 of 3 in Cappoquin

Been to Gold Coast Golf Resort? Share your experiences!