Gold Coast Golf Resort
$161
$106
Richmond House(Cappoquin)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe cottagesbunker barself cateringleisure centreswimming poolbouncy castleclonea strandpool partywashing machinesteam roomweekend breakplay grounddungarvan townplay areahotel facilitiesadults and childrengreat family
Reviewed May 21, 2012

So initially we were booked in to the Clonea Strand but were told via email right before our trip to Ireland that they did not have enough bookings and that they were moving us to their other property down the road, the Gold Coast Hotel. Ok.... look, the hotel is in need of updating, it's seriously stuck back in the 70's! I was ok with it. Beds are stiff as a board. Seriously thought I was sleeping on a board. Room was sufficient for our family of 3 and they gave us a room with a sea view, made me happy!! I could literally throw a rock out my window and it would drop into the sea.
I really loved the open times for the pool for families! Huge pool and great little kids pool. Staff were fantastic, friendly and there is a little pub upstairs that serves ok pub food if you don't feel like going into the town of Dungarvan which is close but still a 5-10 minute drive from the hotel. We sat in the pub one evening and had pizza and beer. There is a playground outside of the hotel (useful when not raining and wet). Overall, we paid about $65 a night for our room, or 52euro, great deal for us anyways. We enjoyed our 2 night stay in Dungarvan, very pretty area. Be sure to drive the gold coast and visit all of the coves and beaches while the tide is out!
The only negative to the hotel is all of the doors in which you have to go through to get to the pool. The hotel is so crazy and chopped up, it's weird. I think I counted 7 doors we had to go through from the time we left the room, down the elevator and through more doors to get to the pool or bar. Really old school.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
CloneaRep, Director of Sales at Gold Coast Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Dear Reviewer, Firstly I hope you an an enjoyable holiday in Ireland and thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. Should you return to Ireland in the future we would be delighted to see you again Rgds Máire McGrath Director/Manager

Reviewed May 7, 2012

My extended family have recently returned from a birthday function in the Gold coast Hotel. The function room overlooks the bay and boats can be seen sailing up and down. Very picturesque. The food was excellent, a great choice of starters,mains and desserts, suitable for vegatarians and vegans alike. Chicken,turkey and ham, salmon, beef and duck for mains. Cheese cake, apple crumble, tritful and a selection of ice-cream for dessert. I can't thank the staff enough, they were so attentive, all food was piping hot and quickly served. My aunt wanted jelly and ice-cream and even though it wasn't on the menu, nothing was to much trouble, it was her birthday and they really went all out to make her day special and memorable.

The hotel is difficult to find as we are not from the south of Ireland, however there was a good few sign posts and the sat nav got us directly yo the door. There is a great deal of parking available in the underground and around the front of the hotel. The down stairs space in the hotel is excellently utilised, with a swimming pool, pub,carvery, and function room all overlooking the bay.

We did not stay in this hotel, however we will be back again. To the left of the hotel there is a golf course, a childrens play ground behind the hotel, the sea at the front of the hotel, the swimming pool is beautifully designed with a childrens pool and very observant lifeguards on duty. it is evident the hotel values there customers and everybody was greeted with a warm friendly smile. Good job, keep up the great work.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
CloneaRep, Director of Sales at Gold Coast Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2012

I/We would like to sincerely thank you for your comprehensive review on our Resort and we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you again. Sincerely Máire McGrath Director/Manager

Reviewed April 22, 2012

I booked the top Function room and Apartment, for a workshop, and can't thank Moire enough, who organised everything for me, fantastic stay, with lovely friendly staff who could not do enough for us, there holiday houses and apartments, are wonderfully fitted out, with everything you would want to have a home from home stay, over looking the coast, lovely swimming pool. and friendly bar, thank you so much Yvonne

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
CloneaRep, Owner at Gold Coast Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Thank you for your very kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Máire McGrath Director/Manager

Reviewed January 5, 2012

This Hotel deserves better reviews. Judging on the fact that most poor reviews on this hotel have 1 or 2 contributions to Trip Advisor, I'm guessing they simply have not experienced many other Hotels in similar markets or simply could not of been satisfied regardless of quality of stay.

Booked this Hotel for a 2 night New Years break. Decision was based on price. Excellent rate of Dbl Room (room only) at only €115 for both nights. And many previous experiences in the same hotel.

CHECK IN:
I was already aware that this is a non smoking hotel. (Not required by law so obviously a direction the property decided to take for itself, and even as a smoker I applaud that)

Nevertheless, I requested a room near the main entrance to facilitate a quick fix for my nasty addiction.

When the General Manager/Proprietor heard this request she came to the reception and directed the pleasant receptionist to give me room 120, a family room with a balcony. I found this to be way beyond her call of duty and was delighted with the same. Especially considering our extremely competitive rate.

THE ROOM
Upon entering the room, we were delighted to discover 3 beds (we only needed one), a separate sitting area which was well appointed with 2 sofa's, 2 armchairs and a coffee table. The room was very well decorated and immaculate. Very clean. The bathroom was also spotless. 8 good channels on TV and a working remote- a rare occurence in 3* hotels.

I have stayed in every single hotel in this town on numerous occassions and would class the room as good as the towns only 4 star, arguably better.

Only suggestions I could make is lose the dated artwork in the rooms-personal pet hate, and change out the heating systems which are slightly loud. But you can turn them off if you wish.

BAR, LOBBY ETC
All the general areas within the hotel were also immaculate and well appointed. We stayed in and rang in New Years Eve in the bar. The staff were all extremely pleasant especially the guy and gal working in the bar who were in their mid twenties and could of been excused for being p****d off working on New Years. They werent though, they were all smiles all night. The people giving the negative reviews need to realise that in hotels this size the staff work long long hours and at times are entitled not to be constant bundles of joy. We found them to be polite and helpful at all times though.
There was live music laid on and despite not being my cup of tea at all, it was lively and enjoyed by the busy crowd in what was a great atmosphere. We didnt get into the bar until 8pm and the food was finished since 7:30 (also understandable on the night in question). We asked if we could have a chineese delivered to the hotel for consumption in our room and this was not a problem and we were offered plates, cuttlery, napkins at reception.

If I could make one suggestion for improvement on next years seasonal nights such as this, it would be for some small bits of canapes/sandwiches etc at some stage late in the evening. And also, a glass of cheap bubbles or plonk at the stroke of midnight would of been a nice touch.

The next morning, I arrived a lazy late for breakfast at 10:40am. The restaurant was empty but I had no problem knocking on the kitchen door to chance my arm. I was greeted by a waitress who I had seen just leaving work in the early hours that morning. She was back in for the breakfast shift. And, when I asked what the chances of just a slice of toast were, she insisted it wasnt a problem to get a full Irish on the hob for me and led me to a table. It arrived in due course and was very tasty. Kudo's to her for the hard work.

We had lunch later that day. Beef from the carvery, and a cooked to order Brie, side salad and chips. Not reheated like earlier suggested by another reviewer. Having ate in this hotel at least 50 times throughout my life, I refuse to believe anybody got sub standard food. However, I did feel the price was a small bit of the mark.

For the average room rate, the views, the peace and quiet, the friendly staff and the quality of the property, I would have no problem recommending this to family, friends, or tourists alike. Like me, I would suggest anybody reading reviews on here should do so with a grain of salt most of the time. Some of the reviews of this hotel can only of been written by people with minimal experience of 3* hotels throughout Europe and beyond. If this hotel was in mainland Europe it would for sure achieve a 4* rating. I'd suggest reading a few other reviews from negative reviewers and ensure they're not just impossible to satisfy.

My only serious negative (and really is a pet hate for me-drives me flaming mad) is that the hotel wireless connection did not reach our room. And, upon checking with reception I could clearly tell the poor gent behind the counter had no hope of rectifying it. As a result, I didnt complain or escalate a complaint which prob wouldnt annoy most others as much as me. Would seriously recommend spending a few quid to sort this out though!! Couple of signal boosters lobbed around the place would be cheap.

Relaxing, enjoying stay, will return again.

Hope any readers find this helpful.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Gilquest
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Myself, husband and friends stayed in the Houses in this golf resort, we also had two children with us. Have to say it was a very good idea, the four bedroom houses had lots of room and I certainly would recommend them for a family holiday. Four spacious bedrooms one ensuite 2 barhrooms, 2 lounges one with kitchen. The only thing we had to bring, Tea towels and towels. Golf for the men playground for the kids and good walks for the walkers. Food in hotel was great, would recommend this for summer holidays, value for money and lets hope the price does not rocket in summer. That is the one reason I hate to holiday in Ireland, the price of hotels in Summer time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends