“Heaven's little acre, in the heart of Umbria”

and 1 more site!
Agriturismo La Montagnola
Brooklyn, New York
“Heaven's little acre, in the heart of Umbria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

I've only been home a week from my annual summer visit to La Montagnola and I'm already planning an October return. Imagine: life atop a private mountain, in a well-appointed home, surrounded by olive trees, rosemary shrubs, your own pool and stellar views of the Umbrian countryside and the magnificent city of Assisi. Every year brings the same dilemma: should I spend today at the pool, or explore Florence, Siena, Perugia, Gubbio, Spoletto, Orvieto? This year, the pool and the local gelato shop won out on most days.
This is what I love most about La Montagnola: It is Italy, not a tour stop. No buses. No Murano-glass hawkers. Shops close at 1. Italian spoken. Churchbells in nearby Torgiano ring the hour and on Sundays, the start of the morning's Masses. The owner of our favorite ceramic shop remembers us. Every year we meet lovely new friends who we invite to a vacation-ending al frecso dinner atop the mountain.
Owner Vittoria Iraci Borgia is the consummate host, ready with daytrip suggestions and especially insider tips on the best daily markets, vineyards (Arnaldo Caprai) and shopping. She also produces some of the best olive oil in Umbria, from the very trees ringing this mountaintop retreat. Harvest is in late October, which is when I'll be back!

Room Tip: The agriturismo comprises two sets of farmhouse accomodations; some years, we've reserved all of...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cumming, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

On my first trip to Italy, La Montagnola turned out to be the highlight! I totally loved the views including the beautiful sunsets. One of my highlights was dining with friends and family in the open air enjoying the view of Assisi and Bettona. Vittoria and her team do an incredible job preparing the villas and can accomodate most requests. The villas are secluded enough for the privacy I wanted, yet close enough to town to get supplies and whatever else we needed. Though this trip was planned by my sister and my wife, I loved La Montagnola and look forward to a trip back.

2 Thank John L C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I am still glowing from my 2012 trip to the Mountain! Vittoria is a laid back and helpful hostess who brings Italian style and helps us navigate beyond the tourist-oriented places into an authentic and lovely Italy. Once our rental car crunches up the gravel driveway, our days slowly fill with Italian life. Itallian language, Italian food, Italian effortless style. It's hard to protect one day to stay by the pool with so many adventures available -- daytrips to Florence and Rome, Salvatore's cooking class, my pilgrimage to the Montevarchi Prada outlet, chatting with Carmela and Francesco. There's nothing else like it!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong. Downstairs on the green side and the blue side are probably breeziest.
4 Thank Beth C
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Have been going to La Montagnola with a group of friends for 5+ years now and hope to continue for many years to come. We usually go during the first week of July, although I have been considering going off-season just for piece, quiet, and relaxation. I prefer the big house on top as the views of Assisi and Bettona are stunning, as are those of sunset every night. It was pretty hot this year (40 C) but the pool and hilltop breeze keeps it just perfect. Some times we go and explore little walled towns around (MUCH more appealing than Rome or Florence in Summer), some times just lay by the pool. Service is excellent, Vittoria is always there to help. Often we cook at the house, and haul wines from the Wine Museum in the village - if you go this route, the value proposition of La Montagnola is unbeatable. I might be a bit attached to this place now to give a fully neutral review, but I figure the things that made me attached to it deserve at least a couple of stars.

4 Thank DukiNYC
Etobicoke, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

I was at La Montagnola in June/July 2010 (not the 2011 I had to pick below), by myself, although with a group of women for a one week pilates retreat which was wonderful, without complaint and lots of good memories. In some cases it was even magical.

I would recommend this location to any friends looking to go to Italy, and wanting to stay in accommodation that allows them to cook in if they want to, and have a home base for touring around or staying local. For me it was like I was at home, but away from home, or visiting a cottage. The area is quiet! ... it took me a bit to get used to such natural silence (there might have been crickets and a distant neighbors dog barking here and there) and great darkness & stars at night compared to the noise and light I slept through in the prior week as I had just been in London, UK.

This spot is situated in Umbria half the way up a hill. It has a beautiful view of an olive grove. It is just over 2-2.5 hours to drive there from Rome, I rented a car so that I could travel around the area and explore. I think it is smack dab in the middle from coast to coast. I took a day drive to the Adriatic Sea from here to spend the day on the beach. I also spent some time lying by the shared pool and enjoyed the peace, quiet and relaxation of that.

The accommodation is clean and comfortable and the staff are warm, friendly and helpful. I still keep in touch with Vittoria, the Owner.

This is a great option if you only need to book one room, or alternately for a bunch of friends or a group trip as there are numerous rooms available.

My room had an ensuite bathroom with shower, a mini-kitchen with fridge, stove and stove top Italian "espresso maker", and a living area. We would share the porch with the other people staying in the location.

If you are looking for a spot to go, definitely consider this location!

Jen/Toronto, Canada

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Jen W
Salem, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

Perfection! As world travelers, my husband and I found La Montagnola in Umbria 10 years ago and have returned every Fall since. Umbria, known as the "Green Heart" of Italy captured our hearts and everyone who has visited us there over the years. As my friend said when she arrived to visit us recently, "Have I arrived in heaven!" What keeps us returning each year....the wonderful and comfortable accommodations, the incredible location, breathtaking views of the green valleys and surrounding hill towns, the nearby sweet hill town of Torgiano, the peace, tranquility and beauty of the setting amongst the olive trees on the amazing estate of La Montagnola. And, last but certainly not least, the owner, Vittoria, who is the most gracious and accommodating hostess, always eager to make your stay a memory of a lifetime! You really do get to experience the sweet and simple life of Umbria. M. Gaeta/Boston MA

Room Tip: Either the Blue or Green Apartment in the old, stone farmhouse of La Capreccia is a prefect selectio...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple