“Lovely Stay”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Casole d'Elsa
Baltimore, Maryland
“Lovely Stay”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I had the recent opportunity to spend three nights at Castello di Casole in Tuscany and thought I would share my thoughts

Booking
I booked the Simply Castello di Casole package via a virtuoso agent. It included
- Accommodation in a Suites of your choice all with breathtaking views
- Full daily breakfast at Ristorante Tosca
- Three course dinner at Ristorante Tosca including wines selected by our Sommelier
- Two 50 minute treatments at Essere SPA
- Bottle of Estate Wine upon arrival
It did not include the Virtuoso amenities which are:
- Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
- Daily Buffet breakfast, for up to two in room guests
- Choice of a Painting class or Language class for two, once during stay (Day restrictions may apply)
I booked the Classica suite. The package was 78 euro per night more than Virtuoso rate (which I believe was actually cheaper than the BAR on the website).

Pre-Arrival
I corresponded with the hotel via their main email, reservations@castellodicasole.com. All emails got forwarded to the appropriate person and I recieved a timely response generally within 24 hours. The spa sent me their menu and answered all my questions quickly. The concierge was very helpful in answering all my questions.

Arrival/Location
A car is a must here. We arrived after spending a day in San Gimignano. Castello di Casole is located kind of in the middle of nowhere on top of a hill, with the closest town Casole d'Elsa about 10 minutes away. Google maps brought us to the front door without any troubles. Siena, Volterra, Chianti are all very close by. We were able to make trip pretty easily. With it being our first time in the countryside, I was surprised at how curvy the roads were. When we arrived we proceeded to self park first. We then lugged our luggage up a series of steps into the main area. In retrospect, it is possible to drive to the reception where I think help would have been available. In addition there is also an elevator which connects the self park area with the main level of the hotel. Once we arrived at the reception, our were warmly greeted with a "Dr. FDW we were expecting you" and shown to the library for check-in. Glasses of prosecco were provided and our CC/passports taken for all the necessary documentation. AFter a quick tour of the grounds, we were shown to our room (upgrade to a 1 bedroom classic suite) where our luggage was waiting.

Room
Very very comfortable. The best bed we encountered in Italy. I believe that the hotel is a renovation of an existing old villa, so the windows were a bit small. Full proper living room with TV and couch. Minibar was located here, no fee for any of the non-alcoholic beverages. Bottle of house wine (literally made on the property) was waiting for us. Free speedy enough wifi, which was nice!. I do wish that there had been an espresso machine. The bathroom also was quite nice. Two basins. Bidet/toilet. Lovely tilework. Loved the fixtures. Shower with great water pressure. One oddity was the tub. It was very deep but short; designed for sitting I guess (similar to Japanese tubs maybe?) It is quite a challenge to get in and out of I must say. I didn't particularly care for it. Toiletries were self branded but I believe made by bottega veneta. Apparently the floors were radiant heated but I didn't see any evidence of that (maybe was quite cold enough...). My wife and I really really enjoyed this room; however, larger windows would have been nice to really soak in the countryside...

Grounds
Quite lovely views of the countryside. Great infinity pool that was heated, although is closed for the season the second day we were there. very pleasant to stroll around. We had considered renting bikes but glad we didn't considering how hilly it was. There's a main villa, and then a number of outhouses scattered amongst the 4200 acres. They did a fantastic job with the renovations in my mind, blending modern conveniences with the existing structures.

Food and Beverage
Breakfast was included and was a small buffet with made to order hot dishes. Nice meats and cheeses, fruits, and breads/pastries. Great fresh squeezed OJ. They actually did quite a nice job with the bacon, quite crispy which I find is rare outside of the USA. Unfortunately, as it was the slow season the casual pizza restaurant was closed. They did have some options a the bar, but none that looked too appealing. We had two dinners at Tosca, both which were quite lovely. Our first was the 3 course dinner, which was basically whatever we wanted off the a la carte menu, minus the chateuabriand which was for two. Unfortunately what I thought was going to be a wine pairing turned into a bottle of the house red, which was fine as I found it quite lovely. The standout was a saffron risotto with osso bucca which I had on my return visit. They also had a lovely taglioni with white truffles. I thought the food was of a high quality, but I do think they tended to cater more to American tastes/lifestyles. The restaurant opened fairly early by Italian standards and the pacing of the courses tend to be very un-Italian... (which was actually quite nice as I was getting tired of long drawn out meals)

I thought the service was quite good actually. The staff is all quite young, but they are very very enthusiastic. EVeryone spoke very food english. We had lovely interactions with the concierge who helped arrange a wine tasting in Chianti and also recommend a very solid local restaurant. Since my phone didn't get a great signal at the location, we also elected to borrow a GPS device from hotel (no charge). However, the concierge was always quick to print very detailed multi page directions. Housekeeping did a nice job and turn down usually occurred before 7 PM (which I liked). Unlike the PH Milan where turndown showed up one night just before 10 PM, which is just too late for me.

SPA/Fitness
I think that there spa just opened up in the last couple of months. QUite nice. Lovely relaxation areas (separated by sex) including two whirlpools. The couples suite is a nice vaulted area. Our massages were excellent and they allowed us to upgrade them to 80 minutes for the difference. The fitness area is quite large for a hotel with only 42 suites. Of course nice modern equipment (Technogym). Fridge full of Aqua Panna and San Pellegrino. We did, unfortunately, use them one day.

View from the elliptical

Checkout
EVerything was in order. We quite liked the wine so I decided to order a case of wine, shipped home which they took care of. Nice to be able gain some bonus points. We were offered help with our luggage, which we declined.

Conclusion
We quite liked our stay. It's a very large property, which was nice. The property seemed to be populated by mainly American and British guests. The fit and finishes are very very good and the service is appropriate. I really thought the concierge did a nice job. My wife commented that it was one of the best properties that she has stayed at. I do think that it is very oriented towards Americans so it's probably not the most authentic Italian experience. Nonetheless, we quite enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelingDoctorWu

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed at Castello di Casole September 2013 for our honeymoon for 5 nights. Taken into accunt their homepage, we expected a fantastic resort. Our expectations were met with great success!

The staff are friendly, attentive and the service excellent.

The buildings is old Tuscan looking, except from the modern Oliveto suites where we stayed (up graded). Be aware that the Oliveto suites are 100 metres from the main buildings... might not be suitable for everyone. The interior is fantastic all over, in luxururious way! Beds are faboulous. Not too big resort, feeling like "home". The resort which is newly refurbished offers a wide variety of services such as two different restaurants, spa, bar, gudied tours, room service 24h, fitness room, wine tasting, eternity pool, biking hire, wedding service ++

The food is tasty and served in an apetizing way. We loved the bluberry pancakes for breakfast, the best ever. For lunch and dinner we were not disapointed! Wine cellar with a wide variety.

The resort is "in the middle of nowwhere", charming in the countryside. No stress and calm atmosphere. We advice you to visit the nearest village Casole d'Elsa, which is an 8 minutes drive. This is a small, typical Tuscan gem!

The only negative thing:
The room prices are expensive, probably too expensive(?).

ENJOY YOUR STAY :o)

Room Tip: If you want to stay at the hotel, dont choose the Olivieto suites. 100 metres to walk from the main...
2 Thank Kristine S
NAPLES
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Simply spectacular on all levels! Beautiful location, exquisitely decorated & meticulously renovated. Very friendly staff all multilingual which was impressive, English, French, German and of course Italian. Our first trip to Tuscany stayed 5 nights and ate at property every night. Would recommend to anyone planning a trip to explore tuscany defiant worth a stop!

1 Thank TripTip101
Toronto
Reviewed October 7, 2013

From the moment we arrived until the morning we left our five day stay could not have been better. Service and facilities are of the highest level
We arrived early and our room was not yet available. A welcoming glass of wine later, and our room was ready.
The recently completed spa in the old wine cellar is very nice. Treatments are very good. The fitness facility (over top of the spa) is spacious and very nicely equipped.
The views are spectacular - particularly the one from the infinity pool.
Dining within the hotel is very nice. A more formal menu at Tosca and a full bistro menu at the bar. Breakfast came with our room and was served in Tosca. Buffet and hot breakfast available. Foods and wines are sourced locally and all were very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TorontoRoemer
Tokyo
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I arrived at this hotel in September 2013, tired from the trip visiting some Tuscan villages on our chartered car from the Florence. We didn't expected such an awful experience at the 5-star hotel.
Young concierge, Francesco, said with an innocent smile "Congratulations! Your booking is upgraded to a gorgeous Oliveto suites! So we will take you there by our car." We asked why we had to ride with our luggage apart from the main villa, but he didn't explain us about the walking route any more nor give us a precise map around the hotel. He and a porter left our luggage and us at the silent, extraordinary large villa, without explanation how to use the amenities such as a complex espresso machine. It was getting dark outside, and the pathway was in bad condition. I had stunned by fear of slipping or meeting a wild boar. Finally I ask them to change our room to 1-room suite with good view in main villa as I booked. In addition, they didn't clarify the breakfast was inclusive or not. We asked at the breakfast restaurant, the staff said that they didn't know because that was the reception's business. We were not so hungry, then ordered a cup of Cappuccino and a croissant each other and signed the bill for 10 Euro. Next day they said that breakfast was inclusive in the pre-paid cost. At the check-out, the receipt was including that 10 Euro for the breakfast, then I asked the cashier if it was my fault, then he said that I DON'T KNOW. I thought I had heard amiss. And my husband got very angry. We didn't regret paying 10 Euro, but their poor service.

8 Thank いばりこぶた
Cooper City, Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at the Casole for 2 nights and we wish it was more. We drove their from Rome however the 2 hour trip took 3 hours as we got lost. Of course there is worse things then getting lost in Italy. We had traveled to Italy for our 25 wedding anniversary and when we arrived at Castello do Casole we were greeted by a glass of wine while we checked in and champagne in our room. The concierge, Sado (??) was excellent and helped program our GPS for a winery tour the next day and also directions to our hotel in Florence two days later. She even called out hotel to confirm our stay and see where we had to park our car. Amazing service!!We ate breakfast and dinner there each day and night and the food was outstanding. Our room was unbelievable and the view from our balcony was breathtaking. The hotel was expensive but well worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sport1530
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My family stayed in the Piti house in April, 2013. It was, by far, the most breathtaking home we've stayed in. The weather was chilly, but our gracious hostess heated our outdoor pool for us to enjoy the stunning scenery! The service was fabulous, the restaurant in the main hotel was delicious, the workout facility was incredible, and our accommodations were luxurious, cozy, and comfortable. Given the opportunity, we would all go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Casole d'Elsa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Castello del Nero Hotel & Spa
Castello del Nero Hotel & Spa
#1 of 4 in Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Borgo Santo Pietro
Borgo Santo Pietro
#1 of 3 in Chiusdino
Rosewood Castiglion Del Bosco
Hotel Le Fontanelle
Hotel Le Fontanelle
#1 of 1 in Pianella

Been to Castello di Casole Private Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!