And I mean UNBELIEVABLE. I giggle at times when visiting Banfi, because it seems almost cliche'! So cliche' you don't think this kind of place REALLY exists, but IT DOES!
This is the FIGURE HEAD property for the Banfi brand, so it is marketed mostly to Americans, but Italian through and through.
When you arrive, you won't believe your eyes. Layed out in an old village, each block of rooms is a different part of "town". A private little town though, population: guests of Bafi.
We were upgraded on arrival (standard practice in Europe, if avail) lovely views, HUGE room, and even larger bathroom! We even had a view of the vineyards from the toilet!
Side note: As I mentioned above, it is STANDARD practice in Europe, in all hotels, to upgrade you IF AVAIL. So, don't pay extra for a travel plan that offers this at a premium! Is a free service anyway!!! Anyway, back to the review. . . .
Romantic, PLEASE, oh yes! We stayed here while traveling with friends on their 10 yr. anniversary, but each couple had plenty of space to have their own "anniversaries"!
Make sure to tour this wonderful property! Hand holding required guys! There are hidden gems around each corner. Ask where the library is for sure. You'll find a self serve bar there :-).
Now, I wouldn't recommend this for a long stay. It's quite lovely to be sure, but there isn't much to do here. It's out of the way, quite a ways out of the way. But a must stop if in the region.
I would recommend three or four days TOPS!
Service is TOP DRAWER! Expect it! We were told the place was nearly FULL when we were there, but we felt like we were alone, even at the gorgeous pool!
There's quite a lot of stuff complimentary here. Each night we had a free bottle of wine (YMMV) in our room, and there are complimentary selections at the self serve pool area too. Of course, if you desire a finer selection of wines, they are available for a fee.
Banfi wines are NOT high end, so their wines are inexpensive to drink on the property. My kind of place ;-)
There is a fine dining facility here. Your only option on the property for dinner. Yah, do this. Fabulous meal and service each time. This is the kind of place you spend 150 per person (if you drink wine) easy, and you feel you ripped THEM off!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury Wine Resort in the famous Brunello di Montalcino Wine Region-Extraordinary Countryside Tuscan Experience-Nestled against a Medieval Castle located in the middle of a privately owned 7100 acres Nice&professional staff very knowledgeable of the best attractions of the area-Extremely large bedrooms and bathrooms, both with great views-Very Exclusive Property consisting of only 9 Rooms & 5 Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Odigeo, Travelocity, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Castello Banfi - Il Borgo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castello Banfi - Il Borgo Hotel Montalcino
- Castello Banfi Il Borgo Montalcino