“Wonderful Tuscan experience!!”

Podere Il Cocco
Ranked #3 of 85 things to do in Montalcino
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Small family business that produces wine, olive oil and grappa. And 'possible to taste our products with a company tour by reservation only. The closing day is Sunday. Have a nice day full of wines! Giacomo
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I took a wine tour here with one other couple while visiting Tuscany. This quaint winery had a wonderful down home feel to it. We were greeted by Giacocmo and his faithful dog as we arrived. He led us to the vinyard and we tasted the juicy sangiovese grosso grape off the vine. They were surprisingly sweet and delicious though it was a month before harvest Giacomo explained. "Not quite ready to be brunello yet" he smiled. He was very personable and likable and easily detaileded the grape growing/wine production process in a way we could understand. Excellent wines!! This winery is a gem, tucked back in a wonderfully quiet, scenic corner of Tuscany. We will definitely go back and stay at this winery/agriturismo! The best we visited...

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I took a one day trip from Florence to Montalcino with a small tour. They brought us to this well hidden gem in the hills. A tiny family owned bed and breakfast and vineyard in the most idyllic setting unfolded over the hill. We were greeted by young Giacomo, son of the family owners, and chief tour guide, wine maker, grape picker, bottler and entertainer. I was there at the end of October days after the grape harvest. The crushing room had a fabulous aroma of freshly picked grapes. We had a marvelous detailed tour, education about wine worthy of a degree, and then a wonderful tasting of Brunello, Rosso, cheese, and Grapa. I loved the Brunello and ordered a case to be shipped back to Boston. The price was fair, the wine arrived in excellent condition, and I am actually drinking a glass of the delicious 2004 as I am writing this over 2 years later. I expect I will order more over the years, and I certainly plan to return.
Bottom line is simple: If you are looking for a truly SPECIAL place to visit up in Montalcino, this is the one. You can then hit one of the 'biggies' and remember I told you that you will like Il Cocco better!

1  Thank srb1256
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife, infant daughter and I visited Il Cocco in Montancino as part of Angie's Tuscan Wine Tour in Sept 2012. It was a week before harvest and the vines were heavy with grapes. Its funny that we met the entire staff, because winemaker Giacomo does everything!! I'm sure he was very busy, but he gave us a wonderful unrushed tour of the facilities, vines, and a tasting. The wine was delightful and he was accommodating to a family with a small child. We had bought some bottles at an earlier winery and he held them to ship to us along with the bottles that we bought from him--it was cheaper than sending two shipments separately and it was appreciated. The wine arrived a little later than expected because of a holdup getting one bottled labelled and when I emailed him he was quick to expedite the shipment with an apology. The wine will likely age some more here, so no big deal. Overall, really enjoyed ourselves. Great example of a small production winery run by one man start to finish.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We visited Il Ccocco as part of Angie's wine tour. It was a great choice to stop here. The host was gracious and gave a great tour. The wine was excellent. If you have the opportunity don't miss this one.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Il Cocco to learn so much about the wine making process from Giacomo. He has such a love for what he does, and it shows. His wines are wonderful---I have a package on its way to me now. Can't wait to share this wonderful wine with my friends back home. I hope to be back some day!