“Good wine but we expected more from the food”

Enoteca Osticcio Osteria
Ranked #40 of 75 Restaurants in Montalcino
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had the Brunello tasting which was very nice, I found a new favorite here.
The food was good but lacked the WOW-factor.

The view is great if you manage to get a table by a window, but the lightning are a bit hard and the atmosphere doesn't feel that intimate.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This restaurant is famous for its views. If you can get a table near the huge glass windows you will just want to stay for hours gazing out into the valley below.
The menu was simple but delicious. Handmade pasta with amazing pesto! It was a beautiful dish. The espresso was pure perfection as was the dessert that came with it!
My waiter who was so warm and friendly and was kind enough to take a picture of me with the gorgeous scenery behind me!!
I think perhaps the amount of traffic this restaurant sees causes a bit of stress for the workers as everyone wants a seat by the window and there are only so many.
As a solo traveller this time, I was a bit uncomfortable when I first walked in, the person behind the bar was less than welcoming.

UPDATE
I returned to Montalcino last September and attempted to visit again, they were just closing up for the day - it was early. - Make sure you know the hours before you visit. I was so disappointed as I wanted to show my travelling companion the views.
Well, there is always next year.

This enoteca is recommended by many locals as well as our hotel.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We came here for lunch on foggy and rainy November Monday and we were really pleased by this venue. Food was perfect - both delicious taste and visually attractive. Wine selection was also great (even by glass offering was good).

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We came in on a cold rainy night and had a wonderful time. As Californians who've had a lot of wine, we were introduced to the wonder of Tuscan varietals and became true fans, under the obviously proud guidance of the people who worked here. Originally we just wanted to taste the wine, but we stayed for one of the best dinners of trip to Italy. It may seem strange, but the beans with olive oil, sage and rosemary is one of the best dishes I've ever had, period. I also learned that "chop" in Italy actually seems to mean cutlet, which was disappointing, but still tasty.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

My sister and I had lunch at this restaurant on our way from Florence to Rome in October based on a recommendation by the driver who was transporting us with stops along the way in Tuscany. We had a window seat and spent most of lunch looking at the amazing view. I like simple pasta dishes prepared with excellent ingredients, which is what we had and it was delicious. I did find the price somewhat high. Although we chose not to do a formal wine tasting in the cellar, we sampled two Brunellos with lunch, including a vintage reserve, and they were very good.