“a highlight meal of our honeymoon”
Review of Il Leccio

Il Leccio
Reserve with
Il Leccio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 75 Restaurants in Montalcino
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were staying at the Castiglione del Bosco, a 5 stay experience / restaurant itself, but this lunch meal on our way out of town was a real treat. We are vegetarian so asked for the vegetarian version of their Tuscan sampler, which was quite simply one of the most delicious spreads we have ever experienced. The pasta with asparagus was also outstanding. We ate in Montalcino proper the night before and wished we had discovered this space first. It's better than any of the Montalcino city restaurants for sure.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Our hotel suggested this restaurant before a wine tasting in Montalcino and I am so glad they did. We sat at an outside table in the courtyard and had fabulous food and wine. The pasta was delicious and we had a wonderful shaved baby artichoke salad to die for. It was one of my favorite dining experiences during our Italy vacation. The service was great and they were very helpful with directions to the winery we were visiting. I would definitely go back next time I am in Tuscany.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

This was one of the best eating experiences we have had in many visits to Italy. The food - especially the pinci pasta was excellent and was accompanied by excellent service including first class wine advice. Our waitress recommended a local wine - not a brunello - and we liked it so much we purchased a bottle from their associated cantina next door. The location was brilliant in a beautiful small village / hill town. We would recommend it to any Italian food lover.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Food is fabulous and not out of the way price-wise, (we paid 210 euros for 5 of us with 3 courses a good bottle of wine and coffees) great wine list. It was so easy to book online and the manageress knew me by name as soon as we walked in, amongst a sea of people! Yu have almost died and gone to heaven sitting under the umbrella in that small old square, unmissable. Gluten free options were no problem which makes a change.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

My wife and I finished a lovely tour of the winery at Poggio Antico and made our way to the small, lovely village where Il Leccio is located. (We chose to avoid the "big city" atmosphere of Montalcino, and it was only 7 mins south of Montalcino.) The restaurant is located on the quiet town square, across from a pretty church. One other restaurant is on the square. Nearby is an overlook with a drop-dead view.

We sat at an outdoor table and the service was excellent. We wanted different wines, and they helped me to a tasty Brunello and my wife to a likeable local white. I think that they are affiliated with the adorable little village enoteca that is next door. We started with a wonderful, fresh baby artichoke salad and a hot eggplant parm timbale. Great start. (I note that we don't eat meat, but the Bistecca Fiorentina served to the next table made us question our commitment to vegetarianism!)

For "main" course, I had the spinach and cheese ravioli in sage butter sauce, and my wife had homemade tagliatelle in asparagus sauce. Both were wonderful, fresh, homemade today, well cooked and well sauced. I think that making fresh pasta is "de riguer" for restaurants in Tuscany, but this was among the best.

We ordered a side of lightly battered and gently fried vegetables (to share), and the an espresso for each of us. This counts as out best lunch yet, and is definitely worth the drive for the town, the experience and the food. Bravo, Il Leccio!

Note: I don't think that the photo on TA is very appetizing, and it certainly doesn't do justice to the excellent food, presentation and experience at this gem.

1  Thank P C