“Sheer Perfection.”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Montalcino
Los Angeles, California
“Sheer Perfection.”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I can't possibly manage to encapsulate how excellent an hotel this is. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and, although I have only reviewed a couple of hotels on here, I have been very spoilt and visited many around the world.

The rooms were fantastic. We were in a Junior suite and it was positively palatial. The most comfortable bed I've ever slept in aside from my own, and a beautiful bathroom.

The food was excellent. Two restaurants; we ate at the same one both nights because it was so blinking good the first night.

The Staff are charm personified. Attentive, yet not obsequious.

They have a Golf course so beautiful that it inspired me, a 31-year-old man who has never touched a Golf club before in his life, to have a lesson.

My girlfriend and I are thinking of getting married just so we have an excuse to go back at the first available opportunity.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Samara, Russia
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed the dinner immensely. Pleasant atmosphere, great quality service, but most importantly - the food was delicious! Especially the tiramisu - if you haven't tried it here, you don't know what a real tiramisu should taste like!
Мы получили истинное удовольствие от ужина. Прекрасная атмосфера, великолепное обслуживание- но самое главное- еда потрясающая! Особенно тирамису, если вы не пробовали его здесь, вы не знаете вкус настоящего тирамису!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Where to start!?

I chose CdB as the location to propose to my girlfriend and what a place it was. CdB's Adrian was brilliant in helping me plan the proposal within the vineyard and had organised everything down to the last, meaning that when we arrived (very late due to traffic and road closures right next to CdB!) all we had to do was check in and Adrian and his colleagues took care of everything else in such a seemless manner that my girlfriend did not suspect a thing! the setting was perfect and my girlfriend, now fiance will remember the location and what the staff did for us that day forever.

We stayed in one of the Terraced Suites and it was immaculate, the level of detail in every part of the suite/hotel was like nothing i have ever witnessed, it had absolutely everything we could have wanted and more than we could have imagined! The service in the restaurants by Matias and the rest of the staff was world class and they looked after our every need, they were in a word, perfect.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and its staff, well done all.

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure there arent any road closures as the reroute is a nightmare
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 6, 2014

To start with the positives, the quality of the resort and staff at Casiglion is off the charts. We stayed in the Oliveria Villa which had 3 bedrooms, a huge fully functional kitchen and a private pool not to mention many other amenities. The actual resort itself is stunning, with panoramic views of Montalcino including the town itself. The gym, sports facilities, hiking etc are all first class with no expenses spared. The staff including Silvia were fantastic and helped considerably especially in booking restaurants. We also took a cooking class with Andrea who was amazing! Definitely worth the money. The main issue we had is the resort is very secluded and the time we visited one of the bridges was under construction. This meant a lot of driving through dirt roads which were not well maintained until you reach the resort. Thus it was slightly inconvenient to leave in order to check out the surrounding towns. The staff at the restaurant were wondering but the quality of the food was not really that great considering the prices. I'd finish by saying that the kitchens in the villas are good enough so that there is no real need to eat out. We went shopping at the local In Coop and cooked the last night we were there, bought our own wine and had a great evening.

Room Tip: The villas are pricey but worth it. We thought the Oliveria was the best suited because it was close...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank R D
Chapel Hill
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Castiglion del Bosco is one of the best "hotels" I have encountered. While expensive, if you can afford it, it's really worth it. It is in the middle of the Tuscan hills, secluded, but accessible to charming villages within 30 minutes or so. Though, I think it's a better spot for relaxing and unwinding then exploring many other cities.

We stayed in the Villa Chuisa, a beautiful villa with three rooms and then a guest house. It also had a small private pool that was heated.

The service was impeccable.

The food was very good too.

They have a private golf course open to guests. It's quite beautiful, and completely empty. Strange to feel as though you are playing golf all alone on a course, but the pros come out to check on you every so often. If you like to golf, I recommend a round, but be prepared for it to be pricey.

There are also many activities there, including group exercise, cooking, wine tasting, art classes, etc. Most include an extra charge. The beautiful hikes around the many trails in the woods are free. There is also a gym and bigger pool for guests.

The spa is also an option. While my experience in the spa was not very memorable, my grandmother really liked her massage.

1 Thank HappyBobbi
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I'm not sure where to begin a review for the most fantastic resort in the world. This trip was a no-holes-barred, pricey 30th birthday. We stayed at The Ritz London and Hotel Majestic Roma in addition to Castiglion del Bosco. While Ritz and Majestic are amazing in their own right, CdB by far surpassed them and every single five-star hotel we have ever stayed in. I would go as far to say this place is ten star.

The amazing service began upon booking the room, seven months before our arrival. Everyone I spoke with via email was so kind and helpful. For example, I was unable to book bus tickets for our departure date from CdB to Rome, as you can only purchase a week in advance. So, Adrian in guest relations did it for us, in addition to scheduling our wine tasting, vineyard picnic and cooking class. No task is too little or too big for this team. During our pre-arrival arrangements, the hotel also agreed to front us 350 Euros to pay our car service from Pisa, and didn't even charge a service fee.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with cold scented towels and cucumber water. We were sat in the reception building and introduced to the entire team. Everyone from the drivers, housekeeping manager, rooms manager and guest relations manager all stood and shook our hands welcoming us, so thrilled to have us at CdB. During this introduction, unseen to us, porters took our bags to our room. We didn't have to lift a thing. After the introductions and welcome, Adrian took us for a tour around the property, giving us detailed explanations of everything. Finally, he rounded out the tour admitting to us they had a special upgrade for my 30th birthday. We were then escorted into a extremely large Terrace Suite!

Adrian explained the entire hotel was designed by Mrs. Ferragamo, as if it were her own house. No detail was left to chance or sacrificed. Our suite, Poggio la Croce had two bathrooms, herringbone wood floors, marble moldings, beautiful accent lighting everywhere (especially in the bathrooms), two dining areas, a huge and very comfortable bed and luxury details everywhere. Just to illustrate the level of luxury here - The TV in the living room was wrapped in leather, the closets were finished in suede with leather tiles, the bathrooms had LED lighting in the tile work to illuminate at night and all of the fabrics used throughout were substantial, supple and expensive. It's like they even thought about how the drapes flow and fall onto the wood floors. Rounding out the suite were two French doors out to a massive private terrace with a dining table, two chaise and a killer view of rolling Tuscan hills. Just perfection.

During our stay, we were amazing by how each person in the staff truly cared about us. Antonio at the pool ran over one day and chased a bee away from me and then asked how our picnic in the vineyards was. This team pays attention to the details and knows what's going on with each guest every day. We also had a great experience with Brigitta on our wine experience tour and Riccardo, the Executive Sous Chef who taught our private cooking class on my birthday. The excursions here are rather expensive, but when you experience what you get for the money, they are all a bargain. The wine experience was 80 Euros each, but we had nine glasses of wine and a two-hour tour of the facilities (And Brigitta all to ourselves. SHE IS AMAZING!) Our picnic was just as expensive, but included seven courses and wine, plus they drove us out to a private villa in the vineyards and left us alone for two hours. It was magic! Finally, the cooking class, at 200 Euros each was very pricey. However, again it was a private event with Riccardo and an assistant, with free wine and tons of groceries! I think all experiences were well worth the money, hands down.

I was a bit worried about only have access to the two restaurants on site for four days. I had heard some mixed reviews about the food here. We thought the food was fantastic and extremely impressive considering they are two hours from Florence and source some rather impressive dishes like duck, rabbit, steaks, fish and fresh organic groceries and ingredients. Everything used at the resort is organic, even the grapes in their wine, the olives in their oil and their house-made honey and preserves.

Don't even stress about the decision, book CdB today, you will be shocked by the beauty, service and luxury. You will be taken off guard by the connection to nature, yourself and your partner. CdB has changed my life and I plan to go back again and again!

Room Tip: The hotel only has 23 suites and eight villas. All are amazing, but if you can spring for a terrace...
1 Thank ittessot
London
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in May 2013, in one of the suites.

In summary, this is a very luxurious place and is great for just chilling out. If you wanted to do more than that, it could be a base for exploring parts of the region and some activities on site like golfing etc. But then again, if you;re paying top dollar for this place you would be better advised to stay here and soak it in rather than disappearing in your car every day?

Good points:
- The rooms are superb. The family that own the hotel are fashion designers and it shows. Rooms are traditionally furnished but everything is new and really very high quality. It felt a bit like the private apartments of old Tuscan nobility. Easily amongst the best-furnished rooms that I have seen in any luxury hotel around the world.
- Great views out over the valley, from the pool and restaurant areas.
- Makes its own wines and you can take a tour of the facilities. (They are still a new vineyard so the wines are still coming on a bit).
- Unique little things like a medieval chapel, ruins and a vegetable garden on site. (I confess that I helped myself to some fruit and vegetables as I was wandering around).

I have seen some reviews here commenting negatively about the food. I think that is rather harsh. I would say that the food was not their strongest point, although some dishes are certainly better than others and overall I would not complain. The quality of the produce used was very good.

One thing that I probably wouldn't recommend are the self-guided walks. My wife and I did one for several hours - a lot of it quite up and down and therefore somewhat gruelling - and I didn't think that there was much return in terms of views or experience. Maybe we picked the wrong walking route?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheGreatRonando
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montalcino
Castello Banfi - Il Borgo
Castello Banfi - Il Borgo
#1 of 17 in Montalcino
Castello di Velona Resort, Thermal Spa & Winery
Castello di Velona Resort, Therm...
#1 of 1 in Castelnuovo dell'Abate
Castello di Casole Private Estate & Spa
Hotel dei Capitani
Hotel dei Capitani
#6 of 17 in Montalcino

Been to Rosewood Castiglion Del Bosco? Share your experiences!