“The best and beyond”

Hotel Riviera
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“The best and beyond”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The room was spacious and clean. The food was delicious especially the croissant (even the french guest said so). Our MPV had a flat tire on our way out of Como but not that far from the hotel. Stranded... we decided to head back to the hotel and Andrea, the host help us communicate with the car rental people in Italian and read our car rental contract and told us what we entitled for signing up for the insurance coverage. We are grateful for such a nice gesture. Flat tire or not, we already decided to come back here for every single year. Hotel Riviera offered the best of everything... the best location, best food and best service. Thank you Andrea for the good times and the bad too!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed there a few years ago. The host had a great humor and was very amiable. The room overlooked the lake, was comfortable and the food and drinks in the restaurant were very good.
It was convenient to walk the area or ferry the car across the lake, Good hiking. It is a hotel where I would go for a long while and feel it is worth it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Being the end of the season we found ourselves being the only guests at this hotel. Our twin room was a good size with a renovated bathroom and effective heating. Use of the free wifi in the foyer was convenient. The staff were friendly and helpful with suggestions of what to see and do in the local area. Fortunately the hotel's restaurant was still trading so we could dine here easily without having to travel into Menaggio each night. Handy location to walk to the local bus stop if you want to catch the bus to the ferry which travels from Menaggio to Bellagio late in the season.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was initially given this recommendation via a travel forum before I went to Italy, and am so glad I got it. Lake Como is a very big lake and unless you like staying in busy, expensive touristy areas listening to accents other than the locals, that's fine... But I don't!
We were lucky to arrive in Como the day the Icelandic volcano ash cloud came over and many travellers got stuck. Therefore we had the whole place to ourselves!
Although this hotel is on the "main" road it has amazing views, great Italian service, and is very central for boat rides all around.
The rooms were of good size, comfort, and cleanliness. The staff assisted us whenever we asked for something, and the family dog that popped his head up every now and then made the stay even more homely.
I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I are staying for our honeymoon. The rooms and the hotel itself is quite simple but at this price,it is well worth it. A quick walk to the ferry and Villa Charlotta. The hotel manager and her daughter are wonderful and courteous. I don't recommend the attached restaurant though.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank rebecca l
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2012

So you have booked your room at Hotel Riviera way back in February, and are paying for a single room. Upon arrival for a two night stay in June 2012, I was very much dismayed to hear that there was "a problem" in my room and it would be available the second night. I have to say things sounded even more ominous when the female Manager said she booked a suite in the hotel next door. (hotel Brittania looks nice on the outside, and this is definitely not a hotel you should judge from the outside. ... I was surprised she "did not know" what suite that they were giving me) So when I found the room, the smallest I have ever seen, the size of a postage stamp, make that the size of a washroom at other hotels, I was furious.) When I had an electrical shock travel through my body in this Hotel Brittania closet size room, & I was literaly shocked. I went to the desk at Riviera to inform them, the "she" manager asked "well is it at least clean.... I should have laughed out loud. Irrespective there was not another room available in Riviera, and she had not even had me penciled in for the second nite. She said she would have a private room available for me. Hmmm .. private room, when I went back to the desk and asked if it could be seen ... the mangers brother showed me the room that he was occupying. At this point he did not know the switch history. it would appear that he would have to vacate one of the guest rooms that was used privately .. by him. I was at least glad to see that it was in fair condition ... and no there was no plumbing problem with it as the female manager had inferred.

So my final analysis of the Riviera, based on the guest room that the brother was staying in, (gosh you would not want to inconvenience a paying customer ... ha ha ha) when I finally did have it on the second day and night is as follows .. it was the bare essentials, a regular bed with a lavender simple bed spread & the bathroom was larger than the room I had for a nite at Hotel Brittania. ... Yes it was on the main drag, so you could hear lots of traffic through the night.

It would have been a suitable room for two nights, and seemed to be available ... he said it had no plumbing problem, so why didn't they give me the room when I arrived... If I had not been assertive, I am sure they would have had me staying next door for a second night.

Shame on the Managers for playing this game. (I suppose they would have gotten away with it, had I actually been a true single traveller ... when I saw the room that my friends got with a balcony over the main road ... beautiful view, average room, I was quite upset with the Management at this Hotel.

BEWARE of BAIT AND SWITCH.

The breakfast was extremely simple ... absolutely nothing special. Supper was at another restaurant down the road ... forgotten the name, sorry)

Room Tip: sorry I forget the room number that my friends had ... but even it was very noisy through the night...