“Not disabled rooms unless you pay for an upgrade E40 +”

Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
“Not disabled rooms unless you pay for an upgrade E40 +”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I went xmas '13 room booked for disabled person could not walk in room with elbow crutches had to Pay E40 to upgrade after told no rooms left bedside table top fell on my foot when I put bag on it stuck with blue tac food was ok but served cold plates staff in dining room bar and housemaid all excellent spoke to manager he put me on to his itallian wife who kept on saying upgrade was for balcony and lake view I said I had a balcony and lake view in the room I could not walk in because not enough room I paid upgrade for more room I said I did not mind if room looked onto a wall I just wanted to be able to walk in room safely with my crutches. Both hotels on stopovers were roomy enough and had showers ok for disabled. wont be back

Room Tip: If you want a good room you have to pay for an upgrade the standard rooms are not up to much at leas...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank hilda r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (946)
  • Polish first
windsor
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Just amazing best value will go back again great hotel the lake is beautiful .Having read other reviews it makes me think some people expect far to much for what we paid and what we got was just amazing value great staff so helpful

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank poppy1234567
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were a party of 4 staying 5 nights over new year. First of all our door to our room wouldn't stay shut, then we couldn't get in as the card stopped working. Then the safe broke and we couldn't get in to it. The shower cubical filled up with water when you turned it on and the cubical door came off and hit my wife! The rooms wasn't very clean when we checked in with dirty old tissue under the bed and a old bottle of water by the curtain, which remained there the whole trip. The room was never cleaned while we were there. The cleaner just made the bed and that was it!

The staff in the restaurant were lovely, friendly and helpful, the best part of the hotel was them.

New years eve was terrible. We had 9 courses which meant we were sat at a table from 7.30 until 11.45. Not what I was expecting. Then the "entertainment" was an old man playing the keyboard and singing songs from the 50's! I'm in my 20's!!! The only good thing about new years eve were the spectacular firework display over the lake.

The hotel was mainly full of the older generation and it would of been nice to be told this in the Shearing's holiday book. We were the youngest by about 40 years. Felt very out of place.

We were all inclusive yet they wanted you to buy water and snacks out of the vending machine! As the hotel was shutting down for a month the day we were leaving some of the food and drink wasn't available for the last few days!

The public seating area was absolutely freezing! My wife had to sit there with a woolly hat on and myself with 2 thick jumpers on!

We paid for two rooms exactly the same yet we had a big room with 2 beds and my in-laws had a tiny room that you couldn't move in. When we queried with reception why my in-laws room was different they said its because we were 2 ladies sharing and they always give 2 ladies a big room! I found this very patronising! They could see from our booking that we were a married couple as it said Mrs & Mrs! So we shouldn't of been treated any different to my in-laws!

The trips were brilliant and the freshly made pizza was great. The setting of Lake Como was amazing. Shame it shuts down for the winter as it looks like it would be great.

We would go back to Lake Como but maybe not in the winter due to it all being shut but in the spring/summer. We did enjoy our self in Como but the hotel let it down.
In my eyes its not a 3 star maybe a 2 at best. We won't be going back to the hotel again.

Travelers are raving about these Cadenabbia di Griante hotels

Tadley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We went to this hotel as a party of 6 with Shearings. On arrival we were shown our allocated rooms and immediately decided to upgrade to lake view rooms on the 5th floor, it proved a very good choice until one of the lifts broke down during the busiest times and sometimes it took as long as 20 minutes to actually get downstairs, not possible to use the stairs as some of our party had mobility issues.
The food was disappointing especially on New Year's Eve. The entertainment on this night was also lacking, being the same musician that had played in the bar on previous nights, so we had the same music over again. With no specific dance area, people were dancing in the aisles between the tables in the end. The firework display on the lake was amazing though and much appreciated.
During the whole stay the food was never very good and always lukewarm.
The staff at the hotel were all very helpful in spite of being extremely busy at all times.
There only ever seemed to be one person serving at the bar which caused queues at times and there was a stupid rule that guests were not allowed to use a tray to carry drinks.
Although the lake is beautiful and I would like to visit again when it is warmer, I do not think this hotel will get my custom.

Room Tip: Definitely worth upgrading to a lake view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Valerie L
Hythe, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We travelled overnight with Shearings Coaches arriving at the hotel at 10am on 23rd December to spend Xmas and New Year here. We were allowed into our room straight away and were disappointed with the view as we looked out onto a fire escape and car park. Overall the hotel was ok but the room was never cleaned properly if at all! Food was fine and Xmas dinner was great but disappointed with New Year however the firework display on the lake after the meal was fantastic,

Room Tip: If you can afford to upgrade to a lake view
1 Thank lyndylouKent
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were there for 2 nights (all inclusive). The room was nice, a bit dated. It felt like walking into the 60's. Whenever we go to the restaurant for our meals, we felt a bit out of place. Everyone around us was at least 45 and above. The food was not great so we ended up going out for dinner every night. Wifi was poor in the end I've decided to not use it. Even though the room was old fashioned we got the room facing the lake. It was beautiful.

Allington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife and I visited this hotel over the Christmas period. I was a little concerned as to what to expect after reading the comments for the hotel. My own views are: The hotel situation, decor, bedrooms and overall ambiance are excellent. We were in room 600 on the top floor with views over the lake, (Tower crane) and the surrounding hills. Those booking through Shearings should upgrade at the hotel as Shearings upgrade chargers are higher although in the 2014 brochure they are more inline with the hotels charges. Our biggest gripe was the quality and seclection of the food, very limited in both cases, Do not be influenced by other comments saying it was good that it definitely was not. Limited choice and poorly cooked, Although most of our time at the resort was spent under low lying cloud even so the area has a beauty all its own.
We went on a number of bus trips with Shearings while there visiting Bergamo, Lugano Milan and Como all well worth it. Unfortunately our trip on the Bernina Express was cancelled due to bad weather. Would we go to this hotel again NO, mainly because of the food

Room Tip: Upgrade on site. Higher rooms give better views. Room numbers 400 to 411, 500 to 511, 600 to 611.
1 Thank Groogles
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
Grand Hotel Imperiale
Grand Hotel Imperiale
#1 of 2 in Moltrasio

Been to Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior? Share your experiences!