We were a party of 4 staying 5 nights over new year. First of all our door to our room wouldn't stay shut, then we couldn't get in as the card stopped working. Then the safe broke and we couldn't get in to it. The shower cubical filled up with water when you turned it on and the cubical door came off and hit my wife! The rooms wasn't very clean when we checked in with dirty old tissue under the bed and a old bottle of water by the curtain, which remained there the whole trip. The room was never cleaned while we were there. The cleaner just made the bed and that was it!
The staff in the restaurant were lovely, friendly and helpful, the best part of the hotel was them.
New years eve was terrible. We had 9 courses which meant we were sat at a table from 7.30 until 11.45. Not what I was expecting. Then the "entertainment" was an old man playing the keyboard and singing songs from the 50's! I'm in my 20's!!! The only good thing about new years eve were the spectacular firework display over the lake.
The hotel was mainly full of the older generation and it would of been nice to be told this in the Shearing's holiday book. We were the youngest by about 40 years. Felt very out of place.
We were all inclusive yet they wanted you to buy water and snacks out of the vending machine! As the hotel was shutting down for a month the day we were leaving some of the food and drink wasn't available for the last few days!
The public seating area was absolutely freezing! My wife had to sit there with a woolly hat on and myself with 2 thick jumpers on!
We paid for two rooms exactly the same yet we had a big room with 2 beds and my in-laws had a tiny room that you couldn't move in. When we queried with reception why my in-laws room was different they said its because we were 2 ladies sharing and they always give 2 ladies a big room! I found this very patronising! They could see from our booking that we were a married couple as it said Mrs & Mrs! So we shouldn't of been treated any different to my in-laws!
The trips were brilliant and the freshly made pizza was great. The setting of Lake Como was amazing. Shame it shuts down for the winter as it looks like it would be great.
We would go back to Lake Como but maybe not in the winter due to it all being shut but in the spring/summer. We did enjoy our self in Como but the hotel let it down.
In my eyes its not a 3 star maybe a 2 at best. We won't be going back to the hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior is set on the shores of Lake Como and is a former 19th-century inn. The beautiful guest rooms are tastefully decorated with luxury fabrics and antique furniture. The hotel boasts four bars four restaurants and two swimming pools open seasonally.RnrnJust 50 metres from the Cadenabbia landing dock, the Britannia Excelsior offers free parking and beautiful views of Bellagio. RnrnThe centre of Griante is a 10 minutes' walk away. Free public parking is available near the swimming pool. All rooms at the Britannia Excelsior Hotel are equipped with satellite TV and private bathroom with shower and hairdryer. Some rooms overlook the lake and some even have a balcony. RnrnFree Wi-Fi is available in the public areas and breakfast is a continental-style buffet available daily in the main restaurant. Both the buffet-style restaurant and the a la carte, lakeside restaurant specialise in classic Italian and international cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Excelsior Hotel
- Hotel Britannia Excelsior Cadenabbia
- Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior Lake Como/Cadenabbia Di Griante, Italy