“Review is for their restaurant only....we did not stay here.”
Review of Hotel La Darsena

Hotel La Darsena
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Tremezzina
San Francisco
“Review is for their restaurant only....we did not stay here.”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We ate here because it was close to our hotel and because we had walked by here on several occasions during our 3 days in Como. Also, TA reviews were very good, so we thought what the hey. Interestingly enough, the menu posted outside had a bolognese pasta dish on there and that was a big reason why my wife wanted to do there one evening - she loves that stuff. Anyhew, we get there and the real menu doesn't have bolognese on there, so, we decide to leave, simple as that...on our way out we are very honest with the folks, and as we exit, the mgr says No Problem, I'll make bolognese for you if that's what you want. That was, my fellow TA reviewers, a great way to start the evening. The night went by really quickly and although we had to sit inside, there are a couple of outside fences (smoking allowed) and a couple of patio tables on the water (no smoking, but semi-outdoors). Overall, I'd say it's a charming place to dine. They were very busy as the night progressed and you could tell that the wait staff were working their tails off. While that didn't provide for poor service, it certainly wasn't service with a smile by any means. The food overall was decent, but nothing out of the ordinary. The bolognese was nice and my pork dish was also just nice - pork is not easy to prepare because it has a tendency to dry out very easily and Darsena probably did the best job of prepping the dish because it wasn't as dry as some of the pork I'd tried in Italy till that evening. The Darsensa dessert sampler was also okay, and I commented to my wife that their pineapple slices smelled like farts...it's true, they did. Candidly this should be a 3 star review, but, because the mgr stepped up and offered us the bolgnese, I've bumped it to 4 stars. I'm really not sure if there are great places to eat in Como, but, La Darsena would be worthwhile if you're in the Tremezzo area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

After reading so many wonderful reviews on tripadvisor, I was very much looking forward to our 3 night stay in a Lake View room. Maybe I built up the expectations too much in my own mind prior to our arrival . . .
The location is breathtaking, our lake view room was perfect and we loved it. Close to the ferry terminal also, which was very handy. The food was some of the best food I've eaten, absolutely fabulous and I could eat there every day.
The service I found strangely not so good, which I was not expecting. We were given NO information at check in, we didn't even know what time meals were. I NEVER saw anyone at reception to ask any questions. Also I don't advise you pay up front for the half board option, you get shoved in a corner like you're invisible in the dining room and have to wait 40 minutes for your plates to be cleared prior to ordered the next course. After all, they already have your money, no extra effort required.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel is absolutely as wonderful as the Tripadvisor reviews said. We had only two nights to spend here but found it a perfectly delightful spot with the nicest manager around. Our room (103) had a gorgeous lake view and two balconies, a sleek, modern bathroom and ample space. Air conditioning (it was a warm spell) worked well as did the complimentary wi-fi. Breakfast in the open lakefront dining room was delicious and offered lots of variety in the ultimate setting. The hotel is an easy walk from Villa Carlotta and the ferry stops, as well as a very helpful tourist information center. Of particular note is that the hotel owner/manager personally came out and helped us to flag down the C-10 bus when we left in order to get us to the Como train station in time for our departure because the previous bus had failed to stop. There is ferry service quite late back from Bellagio in the summer via the car ferry which stops a little further down from Villa Carlotta if you happen to go there for dinner but the hotel also has a gourmet dining room. We can't recommend the Darsena highly enough!! You will love it.

Room Tip: Room 103 is wonderful. Book early as this popular hotel fills up quickly.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I spent two days at La Darsena during a business trip to Tremezzo/Lenno. The hotel is lovely and the terrace a wonderful place where to have breakfast/dinner or even work if you must ! ( I did).
The staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms are good size, same for the bathroom. Breakfast is nice considering you are in a country where breakfast is always poor. Unfortunately I had no chance to dine on the terrace, but all the locals said they serve delicious food.
The only complaint I have to mention is that my room and the bathroom had no proper windows but only skylight windows, I felt uncomfortable not having the chance to look outside. When asked if the attic rooms are cheaper I was told that they have same rate. Frankly I believe they should cost less and that guests should be informed before booking.

Room Tip: Avoid the attic rooms ! They only have skylight windows. Lake view room rates apparently are the sam...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Weddinginrome W
Brsibane
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We picked this Hotel after reading other reviews and have to say glad we did it was just magnificent .Our room 105 was in the middle of the 5 with Balconies and set right on the lake.
All the staff and very helpful and friendly the Breakfast was well worth getting up for as great selection and how often do you eat breakfast sitting on Lake Como the restaurant at night where we ate for our last night their was excellent.Rooms are big and spacious and quiet.The Tremezzo Ferry erminal is about a 2 minute walk just double check with the ticket seller to confirm time table and Villa de Balbianello is well worth a visit if you are their on a Sunday as you can only visit with a tour.

Room Tip: The Rooms with Balconies a must
Wilmslow
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Darsena for a weeks holiday in early Sept. and what a great hotel this is, both in location and service/hospitality. We managers were always pleasant and made us feel very welcome.

We can't praise this hotel enough. A must if you want to stay in Tremezzo.

• Stayed September 2012
UK
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The La Darsena Hotel is beautifully situated at the side of Lake Como, it simply couldn't be in a better position. We had one of the lake view rooms with a balcony and it was very special to open the doors of the balcony and to be looking straight out over the lake. The hotel is easy to get to from Como, we took the C10 bus on the way there and the fast ferry on the way back. I definitely recommend the fast ferry, it was much more comfortable and didn't cost that much more (about 15 euros each). The bus stops outside the hotel and the ferry arrives 100 yards down the road, so very convenient. Our room was lovely and quite spacious. I think it is important to remember though that this is a 3 star hotel. It is an exceptionally good one but you are not going to get the facilities of a 4 star. I confess I would have liked to have tea and coffee making facilities in the room and some comfortable seating. The bathroom was clean and modern. Room cleaning was carried out very well every day. Besides the wonderful lake views, I consider that the best thing about the hotel was the fabulous restaurant. It certainly wasn't cheap, but the food was absolutely excellent and the restaurant was always busy, both with hotel residents and people coming from other hotels etc. Breakfast was also very good, not a huge variety of foods, but plentiful and of good quality. Do try the home made jams, which were brilliant. As others have said, the staff at this hotel are extremely pleasant and eager to help in any way. Some of the large hotels may have more in the way of room facilities, but La Darsena more than holds its own in terms of location, service and its restaurant.

Room Tip: It would have to be a lake view room every time for me. It would be such a shame to stay here and no...
2 Thank curlycat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tremezzina
Hotel La Perla
Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni
Hotel Il Perlo Panorama
Hotel Il Perlo Panorama
#2 of 16 in Bellagio

Been to Hotel La Darsena? Share your experiences!