“Not to be recommended!”

Hotel Bazzoni et du Lac
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Tremezzina
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Had a week's holiday here in July. The location should be ideal - looking out on the lake and surrounding mountains but as the hotel is separated from these wonderful sights by the main road there is the constant roar of traffic. Sitting out for a coffee/drink in the afternoon is deafening. Staff didn't smile as a rule so I just didn't approach them for anything (which might have been the plan). Rooms very basic and beds had basic mattresses. Air con couldn't be reduced below mid 20 degrees which meant moving bed closer each night to air con vent to have a hope of sleeping. Thankfully we were out most days and only back in evenings. Dinner was a lottery - some courses ok some not. Found the pool eventually at the back of the hotel on the roof terrace of an extension. Ran from it. Not clean., not comfortable and all sorts of flies buzzing around. All in all won't be back and wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank mazza1605
There are newer reviews for Hotel Bazzoni et du Lac

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Managed to find a superb value for money deal with Inghams with a one weeks stay at the Hotel Bazzoni in Tremezzo Lago di Como, Italy.
Upon such an offer I Google'd said hotel and discovered a trip advisor page with many 'un-favourable' reviews. Reading between the lines of such views such as; 'how tired the hotel looked from the outside' (don't care, on the inside looking out I thought), I thankfully chose NOT to read too much into these and took my wife for our 27th Wedding Anniversary there.
I could write pages and pages of how good our one weeks visit was and just how fantastic the hotel and all staff were too.

I will mention that the room I had was fantastic and lake views simply stunning, across to Bellagio. Location just about the ultimate location upon the entire lake! Tremezzo is lovely and has two ferry terminals, one right outside the hotel. Bus stops right outside the hotel also and tickets available from the little butchers shop next door and at such cheap prices to most destinations around the lake. Want to go further afield? Travel to Como and at the lakeside terminal the train station is less than 20 yards. We went to Milan from here just 1 hour on the train, with the Duomo, the most stunning cathedral you are ever likely to see. Travel to Menaggio just four miles west and pick up connecting buses at the station to Lugano alongside the lake into Switzerland.
What can I say about the food: Every morning a stunning array of hot and cold breakfast choice. 4 long tables of it to be precise. I you don't find something you love your not normal. Evening meals are just excellent and all in a superb huge dining area with stunning views of the lake to three sides.
Now, let me put my picky trip advisor hat on and look to pick holes:
Well, the music entertainment was not to our taste. Early Piano style jazz. Look close at some of the internal decor' and you could say it needs a little work however it was the end of the season when we went and this is all currently being done 'bit by bit' by the new owners.
Value for money this 3 star hotel affords 5 star value. All we can say is that we loved it, the staff and the location were superb, we could not thank Inghams (their rep Ghislaine) and the hotel staff (be that reception, chefs, waiting staff and house maids) enough for making such a wonderful holiday for us.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank 501Johnny
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We arrived at the Hotel at 10pm after a long day of travelling.There was 30 in our party we were in our room within 15 minutes,The reception area is quite large and airy, all staff were friendly and spoke many languages they were always busy but helping was never a problem.Our room was on the 5th floor and had a fantistic view over the lake.At the rear we had a large terrace with sunloungers and it was never busy it nice in the afternoon to have a lazy day.Also at the rear there is a jacuzzi and a small swimming pool it was cool but im sure during hotter weather it would be great.Our room was big enough for two and cleaned every day.
We were half board and found the food fantastic especally the evening meals.The starters were amazing about twenty different selections,some nights we didnt need the main course.The wines on offer were good with the average price about 15euros per bottle.
During the day the hotel has a small coffee/bar its small but staff friendly and quick,nice for a large whiskey of an evening,good measures are given as they dont use optics.
We would use this hotel again, Only thing I would say it can be noisey at the weekends with motorbikes going past.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are best as the view is fantastic They have shutters if needed.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Wanderers3
Reviewed September 27, 2012

just returned from a week long stay at this wonderful hotel, the staff were so helpful the room was beautifully presented (406) and it is perfectly situated to tour the many sights that lake como has to offer.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sandra H
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Just back from a lovely week in Lake Como. Stayed in Hotel Bazzoni in Tremezzo. Great location as all your other reviewers have indicated. We also had a balcony and lake view which was beautiful, a wonderful sight to wake up to each morning. A large number of Irish people seem to use this hotel, there were 3 busloads in the week we were there. The breakfast is ok, fruit juice not nice, bacon always greasy and fatty, scrambled egg a funny colour and the sausages were frankfurter type. Nice little Danish pastries though. Dinner was really good, beautiful starters, nice main meal and truly delicious desserts. We ate so much, must diet now! The staff were efficient but not the friendliest alas, some of the reception staff made no effort at all, and seemed bored and bothered when approached. Pity ! The bedrooms were typical of most Italian 3star hotels functional, clean, quaint. To sum up, not a bad place to stay, a little Irish charm should have been absorbed by now, but no, not a bit of it.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor overlooking the Lake, slept like logs every night. Some of the people on 3r...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Margaret C
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We travelled with Inghams in Aug on the 'all inclusive' package which we tout was great value with 2 teenagers. Our room had a lake view which was fantastic and was large enough for us. Clean and always had enough towels and toiletries. The staff were very friendly and knew our drinks orders by the 2nd day! Excellent range of food that even the boys couldn't complain! The only negative I have is that they didn't have enough sun loungers on the sun terrace.

Room Tip: Lake view is a must, but some do have side view. High floor essential!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Essex_girl-7
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel gets away with being overpriced because the views are amazing. If they didn't have that, they'd drop down to a 2 star in my opinion. Firstly, the staff, or at least the ones I had the misfortune of having to talk to, were pretty rude. I was of a larger party but staying in double room on my own. The receptionist seemed momentarily 'confused' as to where the 'other person' was...'no, no', I said, 'there is no mistake. I'm on my own'. Her face fixed into a wide tight smile and she said 'of course'. Don't think I've ever been made to feel guilty about staying in a double room on my own before! Completely bizarre. Cleaners thudding around the corridor at 7.30am, slamming doors the next morning did nothing to endear me to the place further. The noise from other rooms seemed to seep into mine via the air vent in the ceiling..which itself looked like it had been fitted in 1970. I requested information on buses to the nearest train station in order to get a flight elsewhere and was given the wrong time, an hour too late. Fortunately, I discovered from another tourist what the correct time was. If I'd listened to the hotel staff, I'd have missed my flight and my connection to Sicily.
The decor is vile, the lift ancient and terrifying and the pool had green algae growing around the edges - it was only just September so hardly completely out of season! The hairdryers looked like they'd fallen off some ageing R2D2.
Breakfast was mediocre. Don't think I've ever seen tinned Hot Dogs served in a breakfast bar before - am I expecting too much?? This is considered one of the culinary capitals of Europe after all!

Room Tip: Definitely get one with a lake view, otherwise it's just NOT worth the money.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Sarah D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tremezzina
Grand Hotel Cadenabbia
Hotel La Perla
Hotel La Perla
#2 of 8 in Tremezzina
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio

Been to Hotel Bazzoni et du Lac? Share your experiences!