“Loved it!”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Tremezzina
San Francisco
“Loved it!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

By the way, the drive to Tremezzo is very doable. So many people have said it's scary, but it's not. Yes, it's narrow and yes it's windy, but, if you know how to drive, you will be just fine. It's a fun, slow drive from the Como Nord exit to the hotel, so don't stress for no reason. The hotel itself is right on the water, with the main road (Via Regina) separating the main structure from the pool in the Lake. The weather on day 1 did not cooperate, but we made the most of it by exploring the property and all it's beauty. We were in Como for 3 days and this was by far our favorite location simply because of the beauty of the area. The grounds of the hotel are stunning the interior of the hotel itself is opulent in a way, but mostly funky and eclectic with its red carpets and green and blue colored chairs in the bar. The setting for b'fast is to die for and actually the bar setting is just the same - tremendous views of the lake and neighboring towns on the eastern side. The service and staff at the bar were amazing with Rafael and Vincenzo being stand outs. The dinner at La Terazza was a bust for us overall so if you don't have to eat there in the evenings, go somewhere else. The pool in the back has great views of the mountains and peekaboo views of the lake. The T Bar by the pool does make okay pizzas, but honestly Azalea Pizza next door is a much better option at an even better price. The rooms at GHT are definitely small and dated, but that does not deter me from giving it 5 stars. The complimentary wifi did work very well for us, and the Lake View Room we had was worth the extra spend. Waking up in the am and sitting on your balcony was a fun way to start the day. Overall I would highly recommend GHT for a stay in Lake Como without hesitation. By the way, one of the things I noticed in this part of Italy is that 99.99% of the vacationers are retirees or people in that age group. It did not affect us at all, but was very noticeable and thus I am mentioning it simply for the fact that if you're looking for a fun, loud, cool, hip type place then Lake Como isn't it, and GHT is definitely not it!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We just returned from 10 days in the Lake District, 5 of them at GHT. We endorse the other positive reviews, but did experience a couple of issues. Yes, the courtesy computer was so slow you could watch paint dry while waiting for an Internet connection. Evidently no one takes the time to clean up the memory or purge cookies, etc., and of course all toolbars and commands are in Italian. The Spa facility is beautiful, if smallish, the indoor infinity pool overlooking Lake Como. There was a communications breakdown in scheduling my wife's spa treatment, when the spa manager gave instructions for getting a locker, etc., but when my wife arrived that afternoon for her treatment there was no attendant around to give her a locker key, robe or lead her to a treatment room. (The hotel profusely apologized; on the other hand my wife said that the massage therapist was excellent and thorough). We opted for a Garden Room, and were not disappointed with the view of the lush greenery outside our room. Yes, a lake view is magnificent, but the restaurants and spa all provide that view. Moreover, facing the lake you might have to contend with the sound of trucks and motorbikes on the main road fronting the hotel. We were most pleased with the attention given by the desk, the concierge, the car attendants and the restaurant managers. At a friend's suggestion we drove to Villa D'Este for lunch, and while few resorts can match the refined dignity (and cost) of that property, we found GHT to be far warmer,relaxed and less showy while still preserving old world elegance.

Room Tip: If opting for a lake view, ask about road noise and select a higher (4 or 5) floor.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

First of all I would like to confirm most of the positive aspects in other reviews of the Grand Hotel Tremezzo on this site. The hotel is a beautiful historical building in a stunning location facing acoss Lake Como towards Bellagio. The staff are (almost always) delightfully friendly and helpful although some inefficiencies do occur and lack of communication between various departments and management appear to have been the cause of the main problem with my visit. To continue with the positives, we ate in both La Terraza and L'Escale restaurants and the food and wine were excellent even if somewhat expensive. The knowledge of the head waiters on both the food and wine was excellent and helpful. I would certainly recommend eating in these restaurants during a stay at the hotel but like other reviewers would also, partly but not solely on a cost basis, try the nearby pizzererias and trattorias for good quality home cooking in a more relaxed atmosphere. The hotel concierge was happy to recommend some of these including The Red and White just a short walk away where the owner/chef and his wife are happy to talk with customers about the food and also bring in local customers reminding you that you are in the real Italy rather than just the ridiculously beautiful location on the Lake.

Having started with the positives I feel it is only right to draw attention to some of the drawbacks.Firstly, the rooms are small by 5-star hotel standards,judging by our own Lake View room. This was beautifully furnished and had a small balcony on which there was just room for two of us to sit and take in the stunning views. The bathroom was really small and had a shower only (no bath tub) which is something I had not realised from the room description on the website-I incorrectly assumed that with no description of the bathroom, it being a 5 star rated hotel it would have a bath! I was wrong! The room was generally well serviced and clean but there was a considerable build up of dust and dirt on the lighting tracks running around the room. The floorboards creaked loudly (possibly to be expected as part of the atmosphere of a Grand hotel?) and the air conditioning is very noisy when turned on fully as was necessary during our stay. Generally speaking the public rooms are beatifully furnished but there were signs of badly worn carpets on the stairs at the exit to the rear pool and gardens. I was disappointed that the computer provided in one of the lounges for use by guests did not have a working internet connection during my stay resulting in my being unable to pick up emails and havng to stand at the concierge desk to print out boarding passes for our return trip.

This brings me to the final section of my review relating specifically to the reasons for our stay at this hotel and why my headline uses the words "let down". The hotel was well aware that our stay was for a major celebration of a wedding anniversary and a very significant birthday for my wife who had had a difficult year. I did not receive a room upgrade in recognition of this as several reviewers on this site seem to have done but that was not a great disappointment as I know such things are entirely at the discretion of management and dependant on a number of different factors. We were happy therefore to find a complimentary bottle of prosecco and some fresh fruit on arrival in our room. On the night of my wife's birthday we decided to push the boat out and have an excellent dinner in La Terraza and ordered a very expensive bottle of wine, all of which was excellent and definitely worth the money for such a special occasion. Earlier in the day I had received two calls from staff confirming that a birthday cake (at a cost of €40) would be presented to my wife. Here's the let down-three different waiters I enquired of during a long interval after the mains had been cleared away all said no cake had been ordered. You can imagine that having to ASK for the cake in itself totally spoiled the surprise element and the main purpose of the evening. I felt unable to make my feelings known at this gross mismanagement as this would only have spoilt the evening further. Eventually the head waiter arrived , tapped me on the shoulder and said "its all right sir we've found it , its coming".
When reporting this occurence next morning reception staff apologised graciously and waived the €40 charge. Later that evening another complimentary bottle of prosecco and a few strawberries and a written apology were delivered to the room . While this was appreciated ,I don't think anyone could have understood just how frustrating, disappointing and annoying this was, given all the planning that went into a surprise visit to Lake Como and the desire to make it a really special trip-something as simple as delivering a pre-ordered cake to a table should have been well within the capabilities of a 5-star hotel.

One final point, I had seen references to poor service from the egg station at the breakfast buffet. Well we found the buffet extremely good, the service for the first two mornings was also friendly and efficient; the third morning, the morning after the birthday cake debacle, the young man failed to deliver our omelettes even though he was not busy at the time. Not wishing to be the focus of another issue (breakfast is also served in La Terraza) we sat it out and waited and waited until we saw many who had come in after us getting served even though the restaurant by then was quite busy. The young man started to panic a bit and called in a second cook and after thirty minutes and a couple of reminders the omelettes were ready and I collected them. This situation did inevitably add to my disappointments with the hotel.

Despite the inconsistencies detailed above I would say go to this hotel, maybe eat out some of the time,if things go wrong make sure the management gets to know about it.

2 Thank bsn034
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Excellent hotel with amazing views of lake como. We were lucky enough to get upgraded to a beautiful room. Also, the hotel recommend great restaurants for us and seamlessly booked all the tours that we wanted. Excellent service and beautiful hotel. The hotel has several pools - all of which are amazing. HIghly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

After spending a lot of time researching different hotels around Lake Como, we decided on the Grand Hotel Tremezzo. When we arrived, the hotel is indeed very imposing and the rooms and facilities can not be faulted, there are 3 outdoor swimming pools (including one in the lake itself...although be warned it is VERY cold) one indoor infinity pool, gym, tennis court, there are 3 restaurant options so there is definitely plenty to keep you occupied.

The rooms are decorated in traditional furniture and tones and we were very lucky that although we booked a cheaper garden view room, we ended up with a corner room with duel aspect so had a garden view and lake view.
The breakfast was also fantastic with lots of choice and a glass of prosecco, although don't order an omelette from the omelette station if you are in any kind of a hurry as it took well over 20 mins!

The only slight negative I had was that the cost of the food in the restaurants was extremely expensive, on our first night we attended the poolside pizza /BBQ night which was £60 (excluding drinks) for 2 pizza's and a small selection of BBQ food, we also had food in the main restaurant on the 2nd night of our stay and at over £180 for 2 people including wine, it felt very expensive versus others places I have eaten both in the UK and abroad and the food (although very nice) was not exceptional and certainly not worth this kind of cost.

My advise would be to definitely stay at this hotel as it is beautiful and the views are incredible however I definitely eat out at one of the lovely local trattoria's rather than eat in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Corner garden room for duel aspect views of the lake and gardens
Perth
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We have been staying in Tremezzo for nine days this year.
The grand lady of Lake Como still is the best in value and service around. their attention to detail any of the needs and request are always accommodated with a smile...if you like to be made to feel special than this is the place. Stayed there every year and will continue to do so.
Suggest to stay at newly refurbished rooftop suites for the best experience.
We truly love the place. Thing one must do is to have bottle of prosecco combined with 3 hour trip around the lake on the hotel's own lancia.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room overlooking lake and the gardens or rooftop suite
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

What a great hotel fantastic setting,great staff and a real warm welcome.I felt quite emotional when we left.
My only minor fault was that the shower room was not 5 star,however it was made up for by the walk in wardrobe!
Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tremezzina
Hotel La Perla
#2 of 8 in Tremezzina
Grand Hotel Imperiale
Grand Hotel Imperiale
#1 of 2 in Moltrasio

Been to Grand Hotel Tremezzo? Share your experiences!