“Very Good Food - Worth a Splurge”
Review of La Darsena

La Darsena
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Tremezzina
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Ideal atmosphere to spend pleasant moments, tasting the true local kitchen rivisited with a little bit of fantasy and with dishes carachterized by local and season products. The pleasant restaurant's room, fully air-conditioned, offers immense windows with a unique view on the colorful cape of Bellagio and on the Grigne. The romantic terrace creates the perfect atmosphere for one unforgetteble evening.
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The restaurant offers a seasonal menu overlooking beautful Lago di Como. Service was swift and efficientt - but still afforded time to linger between courses.

We ordered from the Menu A La Carte - and again, since the menu changes seasonally, I won't go into details (but if you happen to be travelling while their Autumn 2012 menu is in play, I can safely say the Veal Cheek (w-Braised Vegetables, Polenta and Roasted Potatoes Pie) and as a dfessert, the Apple Sorbet w-Calvados are both delicious!

My only complaints: The lighting is horrible and there is no background music (at least not when we were there in October); A setting this romantic calls for dim lighting to complement the candles on the table and soft music playing in the background. Instead, the lights were kept on at full-power and every conversation could be heard - making the dinner about as romantic as dining in a cafeteria. This is a shame because La Darsena is lovely, and the food is wonderful.

1  Thank stevie8

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The restaurant is in a lovely setting directly overlooking the lake. The staff were very professionally and helpful and the food was wonderful. The service was good giving us plenty of time between courses which was very relaxing. The restaurant is decorated very nicely and not too cramped. I recommend this to everybody.

1  Thank corinne m
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel and dined at it's restaurant for dinner! It was an amazing view, romantic atmosphere, great food. All together an amazing evening!!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

A couple of bottles of well priced Zenato Amarone (well, there were four of us!) and a well presented tasty meal gave us all the fodder we needed to take in the latter stages of the Ryder Cup on a local TV. I can strongly recommend the food here because all the things we ordered were excellent but the atmosphere is somewhat lacking. Perhaps if the lights were turned down or some candles introduced it might not be a bad thing.

2  Thank Diabaig
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We ate here because it was close to our hotel and because we had walked by here on several occasions during our 3 days in Como. Also, TA reviews were very good, so we thought what the hey. Interestingly enough, the menu posted outside had a bolognese pasta dish on there and that was a big reason why my wife wanted to do there one evening - she loves that stuff. Anyhew, we get there and the real menu doesn't have bolognese on there, so, we decide to leave, simple as that...on our way out we are very honest with the folks, and as we exit, the mgr says No Problem, I'll make bolognese for you if that's what you want. That was, my fellow TA reviewers, a great way to start the evening. The night went by really quickly and although we had to sit inside, there are a couple of outside fences (smoking allowed) and a couple of patio tables on the water (no smoking, but semi-outdoors). Overall, I'd say it's a charming place to dine. They were very busy as the night progressed and you could tell that the wait staff were working their tails off. While that didn't provide for poor service, it certainly wasn't service with a smile by any means. The food overall was decent, but nothing out of the ordinary. The bolognese was nice and my pork dish was also just nice - pork is not easy to prepare because it has a tendency to dry out very easily and Darsena probably did the best job of prepping the dish because it wasn't as dry as some of the pork I'd tried in Italy till that evening. The Darsensa dessert sampler was also okay, and I commented to my wife that their pineapple slices smelled like farts...it's true, they did. Candidly this should be a 3 star review, but, because the mgr stepped up and offered us the bolgnese, I've bumped it to 4 stars. I'm really not sure if there are great places to eat in Como, but, La Darsena would be worthwhile if you're in the Tremezzo area.

1  Thank wong561hb