“Good Food Great Views”
Review of La Darsena

La Darsena
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Tremezzina
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Ideal atmosphere to spend pleasant moments, tasting the true local kitchen rivisited with a little bit of fantasy and with dishes carachterized by local and season products. The pleasant restaurant's room, fully air-conditioned, offers immense windows with a unique view on the colorful cape of Bellagio and on the Grigne. The romantic terrace creates the perfect atmosphere for one unforgetteble evening.
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel and dined at it's restaurant for dinner! It was an amazing view, romantic atmosphere, great food. All together an amazing evening!!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

A couple of bottles of well priced Zenato Amarone (well, there were four of us!) and a well presented tasty meal gave us all the fodder we needed to take in the latter stages of the Ryder Cup on a local TV. I can strongly recommend the food here because all the things we ordered were excellent but the atmosphere is somewhat lacking. Perhaps if the lights were turned down or some candles introduced it might not be a bad thing.

2  Thank Diabaig
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We ate here because it was close to our hotel and because we had walked by here on several occasions during our 3 days in Como. Also, TA reviews were very good, so we thought what the hey. Interestingly enough, the menu posted outside had a bolognese pasta dish on there and that was a big reason why my wife wanted to do there one evening - she loves that stuff. Anyhew, we get there and the real menu doesn't have bolognese on there, so, we decide to leave, simple as that...on our way out we are very honest with the folks, and as we exit, the mgr says No Problem, I'll make bolognese for you if that's what you want. That was, my fellow TA reviewers, a great way to start the evening. The night went by really quickly and although we had to sit inside, there are a couple of outside fences (smoking allowed) and a couple of patio tables on the water (no smoking, but semi-outdoors). Overall, I'd say it's a charming place to dine. They were very busy as the night progressed and you could tell that the wait staff were working their tails off. While that didn't provide for poor service, it certainly wasn't service with a smile by any means. The food overall was decent, but nothing out of the ordinary. The bolognese was nice and my pork dish was also just nice - pork is not easy to prepare because it has a tendency to dry out very easily and Darsena probably did the best job of prepping the dish because it wasn't as dry as some of the pork I'd tried in Italy till that evening. The Darsensa dessert sampler was also okay, and I commented to my wife that their pineapple slices smelled like farts...it's true, they did. Candidly this should be a 3 star review, but, because the mgr stepped up and offered us the bolgnese, I've bumped it to 4 stars. I'm really not sure if there are great places to eat in Como, but, La Darsena would be worthwhile if you're in the Tremezzo area.

1  Thank wong561hb
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have dined at Darsena three times, and I am still am amazed that it receives such high rankings from others. The proprietors seem to wish Darsena to be considered a fine dining establishment, but miss on execution at all levels. Just last week we had an 8pm reservation. Temperature was about 60F outside (cooler lakeside) and the hosts seated us outside with 2 other tables of 2 persons! It was insulting to us at they thought so little of guests. Our waitress was competent, but only interested in putting orders in front of guests quickly and without explanation. A very methodical, unenthusiastic presentation. The agnello (lamb) was poorly prepared and barely re-heated for my meal. The meat was well done on one side and rare on the other with some forgettable bread crusting. Truly forgettable. My wife had a "scallop" risotto where the rice was prepared correctly, but it contained exactly 1 scallop! At this point she was shivering with the cold so much she ate quickly so we could leave as soon as possible. Never once did the host inquire how our meal was progressing or where we would prefer to sit inside. When I left half of my 28 Euro lamb failure uneaten, no one asked why. Darsena is an overrated restaurant managed by gentlemen who don't know what good dining is all about--just turn those tables at exceptionally high prices. Avoid this place.

3  Thank Remy M
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had a lovely evening at this restaurant.
We chose the fixed menu which represented very good value and delicious food.
Each course was beautifully presented.

1  Thank Jeff2travel